Thai man regrets career choice as peers earn higher salaries

I left a pretty cutthroat career in industry to take up the 'easy' job of teaching in UK state schools.

After 25 years of teaching I was still only earning half of the salary I had earned 25 years previously..... but to be fair I was much happier.

2 hours ago, Galong said:

If you have a job you can pay into the Thai Social Security scheme. It's cheap and chips and offers superb coverage. If you lose your job, you can still pay into it.

Yes, my wife pays into that.

I got the impression from the post by "mokwit" that the government insurance was better than what those in the private sector get.

I worked twice in scientific jobs which were well paid - but the back stabbing, working conditions (once worked a 36 hour shift!, no extra pay) were tough. Got a government job for half the pay, but much less stress. Then government job ended (outsourced) back to private sector, worked for IBM - i thought they would be more professional, but all i saw were people hammering square pegs into round holes and only interested in getting moved to the next post before their chickens came to roost. And the back stabbing again - accused of doing an audit wrong (i didn't) so they could deny a pay rise and make me redundant. They had to employ 3 people to do the work i did and then within months stopped doing it at all!

At least the redundancy/early retirement let me move to Thailand...

Life's a bitch and hindsight is 20/20.  All of us have probably thought back to how we could have done this or that.  If I could do it over again I would have gone to a maritime academy. Ahhh, but it didn't happen.  And all the "Boo Hoo Hoo 😭" doesn't change a thing, so learn acceptance.  The kid has benefits and probably a pension package that most of his peers in his village don't have.  He's not seeing the larger picture.  But he's still young, dumb, and full of errrr, silliness.  And greed.

On 8/1/2024 at 5:56 PM, Sigma6 said:

Apply for a new job. 

the end. 

Yeah - and if that job doesn't work out, suddenly he'll be staring at the 36 year old cut-off where Thai employers don't want to hire "older workers."  Then he'll be pining about about losing his gravy-job with the government, and Boo Hoo Hoo. 

You can't always get want you want,
But if you try some time,

You get what you need. 

I am sure with his resume as a government worker and the university degree he could get a decent job in the corporate sector, and begin to climb up the ladder. All it takes is vision, ambition, and perhaps some patience. Nobody ever said government jobs paid a lot they just offer security and low interest rates on loans. And the ability to work for bottom of the barrel people who have been selected based on cronyism.

Moaning and groaning is not going to change anything. 

On 8/1/2024 at 5:22 PM, snoop1130 said:

who opted for private sector jobs, earned nearly 100,000 baht.

On 8/1/2024 at 5:22 PM, snoop1130 said:

Seeing his university peers earning as much as 70,000 baht in the private sector,

70 is not nearly 100, well it wasn't when I went to school.