Shoulder pain and thinking I need an MRI in Chiang Mai...

Is Chiang Mai MRI the best (most economical) place to have this done? I know Sheryl has posted about this clinic in the past. Or do I have the cart before the horse and should see an orthopedic doctor first? I'm just afraid if I see the doctor at Rajavej (my go to hospital, generally), they will rope me into doing an MRI there at an elevated rate.

Any cost estimate, folks?

Cheers and thank you!

17 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

do I have the cart before the horse and should see an orthopedic doctor first?

Yes, definitely. 

Last year,  I thought I might need a MRI of the shoulder. Went to Bumrungrad, a 2-minutes consultation with the orthopedic doctor was enough. 

1500 B

Shoulder is fine

• Like 1

It makes sense. I guess my reluctance is due to my last experience with an orthopedic doctor who was cavalier about my discomfort and sent me up to physical therapy after a 3 minute assessment. PT did nothing.

Definitely see a good ortho first. For shoulder issues a simple physical exam and possibly ultrasound often suffice for diagnosis.

Sometimes shoulder pain can be from cervical spine. Something to consider if exam does not indicate  shoulder pathology. 

In CM many recommend Dr. Chanakarn.

https://chanakarn.com/

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Definitely see a good ortho first. For shoulder issues a simple physical exam and possibly ultrasound often suffice for diagnosis.

Sometimes shoulder pain can be from cervical spine. Something to consider if exam does not indicate  shoulder pathology. 

In CM many recommend Dr. Chanakarn.

https://chanakarn.com/

Thank you, Sheryl. That's right near Rajavej as well so I'll check it out first.

I ended up going to Rajavej to at least get an opinion ASAP rather than wait for the clinic to open. Doc said probably a partially torn rotator cuff and to give it a rest for 2 months and see how I feel. He doesn't think totally torn so could heal itself with no surgery. And thought an MRI was unnecessary, at this stage.

• Thumbs Up 1