Are you offended at being called Old?

Being "old" or perceived as old will be a pre-requisite for some Thai women seeking a short term relationship with a happy ending - for her!

I am being facetious!!

When I am asked how old I am, I say in Thai, "ONLY 79"

I am old. It's the truth so it doesn't disturb me.

But being touted as a c**t would upset me because I'm not (usually).

Occasionally I can be an old coot.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, BritManToo said:

If you've considered a trike for shopping ....... You're old!

Actually on a serious note, which is not something we do very often here, that is a big thing.

I had to actually force my Dad towards the end of his life to get a mobility scooter.

Stubborn old devil just wasn't going to admit defeat, even though walking had basically become impossible for him.

As we age I guess you have to go through the various stages.

When do you need a cane

When do you need a walker

When do you need a scooter

And the trickiest of all, and I think the hardest for many, is when do you hang up the car keys! 

I'm only 65, so plenty of life left in me.

But things can go downhill fast after 75+, just look at Joe Biden.

I know my driving skills aren't what they were 20 years ago but I'm still OK will be for years to come

But always tell they kids if the day comes you send your brother to knock me into shape and take away the car

Edited by GinBoy2

23 hours ago, KhunLA said:

to the thread title ... NO

Well, the shoe fits ... so, there's that 😎

Knocking on 70 ... so ...

... young doesn't work

... middle age (mid life crisis ?) would be nice, but

... beyond any gov't or company retirement age

... I'm 'Old & Proud' ... wear it well :cheesy:

Still can pass as younger ... for now.

Agree ,,  in the same age boat ..  

I figure there's at least 30 years left on my ticket ..   so old is NOT in the equation

• Thumbs Up 1

So, I just got asked in an IM why I specified my son.

I have three kids, two daughters, one son.

Any of you with kids know a father/daughter relationship is very different to father/son.

I'd sweet talk the girls and they would melt.

My son would be a hard nosed little sh***it and make it done

• Haha 1

On 8/2/2024 at 9:12 AM, Bundooman said:

I am old I suppose, bordering on my 80th birthday this month - yet i don't feel old. There are some creaks occurring here and there, but that's OK. 

I get up at 3:30 most weekdays and exercise for a while and I use my legs in walking/climbing stairs most of the days. I guess I am lucky and am generally fit; I don't smoke, (since I was 21), I now drink in moderation and I eat fairly healthily -I don't need the use of recreational drugs and I'm not a worrier. A full health check 2 weeks ago pleased me and that was a good feeling.

I don't like being referred to as 'Papa' by strangers yet my 17 year-old daughter often refers to me as such in an affectionate way. 

Generally speaking, people will guess my age as a bit younger, but that, I always take as a polite remark, not to be taken seriously by me. I smile a lot at Thai people and 99.9%, of them will smile in return - young and old, male or female and they always speak politely back to me when I do open my mouth.

I don't really mind if some refer to me as old - I am. I have no fear of death and I still have plans and ambitions - and I'm comfortable with that. 

I probably won't leave Thailand and certainly have no plans to do so. I like the Thai people, I like the climate, the food and I enjoy spicy food too. I also love to be beside the ocean here, when I am on holiday.

Despite the Immigration hurdles, and other obvious grumbles that we all have, I am comfortable here in Asia and Immigration have always been polite to me when I have asked a question or said something to them. The RTP as well, I find polite and helpful.

There is a far more relaxing atmosphere here, than there is in the west. I feel that England is no longer my home, although I have two daughters, (one of whom is a Grandmother herself) and an older sister - plus their families in UK and they too, are happy and comfortable that I will live out my remaining years here in Thailand.

I can also say quite honestly, that in all the time I have lived in Asia, (this is my 20th year of living here), plus the time I served out here including a visit to Thailand each time, from 1964-66, 1967-68, 1972-74- (in Hong Kong), plus another 10 years back-packing throughout Asia, (Thailand, Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia, Singapore, Japan -plus all the other Asian countries I visited during my 26 years in the Royal Navy), I have never, not once, felt threatened or unsafe - anywhere!

I did feel slightly uneasy in Cambodia and I was certainly nervous in the Malacca Straits which was mined in 1964, during the Indonesian conflict, but that had little bearing on my lifestyle spanning 60s year of experience of Asia.

There have been times, however, when I have felt unsafe in Europe and the UK.

Overall, I consider myself fortunate to have found a country where I feel I belong. I speak a little Thai, read and can write Thai like a 3-year-old and I'm OK with that as well. I don't have to be fluent.

Old is a number and a perception. Call me old and old-fashioned - it's quite irrelevant to my life. I'm kind of proud of it in a way - but also like to pretend I'm young. I still feel a quickening of my heart when I see a beautiful young woman and of course, wish I were young again to experience that excitement. 

Enjoy your old-age experience. We are lucky to be able to do so - millions of others are not so fortunate.

Yours sincerely,

The old Git!

Nice one 😊

Though drinking alcohol IS a using recreational drug. People who drink alcohol seem to think they are 'different' 😊

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

Well, my SS got automatically changed from “Disability” to regular, and last year the hospital sent me to the geriatric department. Somebody’s trying to tell me something.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Kwaibill said:

Well, my SS got automatically changed from “Disability” to regular, and last year the hospital sent me to the geriatric department. Somebody’s trying to tell me something.

Yeh, Mrs.T does the same......:guitar:

• Haha 2