Pocket money for my son

He's 13 this year, how much should I give him....

Posting here because prices are different on Koh Samui compared to Pattaya where I live now.

If I give him 2000 baht per month is it spoiling him or is 1000 baht enough.

Thanks for advice...

3 minutes ago, jvs said:

I would not just give him pocket money but i would teach him about money also.

I would give him the monthly average of the water and electricity bill plus maybe

1000 baht but no more.

As you said 2000?That is a lot of money all at once and it does not matter how much you can afford but how he deals with it .

Maybe also include clothing money and other things you are paying for him.

Why should you make him pay for water and elec?

So he learns to turn of the lights and when the elec.bill is lower he has more to spend on other things.

Teach them young!

1000 it is. Thanks

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Give him enough to enjoy life but have him keep a budget. Where did the money go must be stated in order to get more next month. 

Do you think 33 baht a day is enough for a 13 year old. What can he buy for that in todays Thailand?

• Agree 2

14 minutes ago, marin said:

Give him enough to enjoy life but have him keep a budget. Where did the money go must be stated in order to get more next month. 

Do you think 33 baht a day is enough for a 13 year old. What can he buy for that in todays Thailand?

1000 baht for saving or fun, he has everything covered already. Just making him have an own account to manage money.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, marin said:

Just told him...can I buy Robux for my game... Up2you 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My boy is the same age (nearly 13) in Chiang Mai.

We give him 100bht every morning before school, that covers his food, drinks and snacks.

(no school = no pocket money) 

My son, 13 this month goes to English program, 50.000 baht per year. He get snack money every day. The 1000 baht extra is for saving or fun, let's see what he'll do...

• Like 1

Just now, PoorSucker said:

My son, 13 this month goes to English program, 50.000 baht per year. He get snack money every day. The 1000 baht extra is for saving or fun, let's see what he'll do...

Mine is in CEP (Chinese and English Program) at a government school 8kbht/term.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/2/2024 at 10:13 AM, BritManToo said:

My boy is the same age (nearly 13) in Chiang Mai.

We give him 100bht every morning before school, that covers his food, drinks and snacks.

(no school = no pocket money) 

totally agree. as a long term teacher in thailand i can tell you that anything more is wasted on junk. it would be a boon for any parent to teach their kids to save for a rainy day.

were i a parent, i would never give my kid a lump sum once a month. it would be spent in a dash. my old man gave me 10$ a day when i was in high school in the 80's and nothing a day when i was in primary. if i wanted to eat at a local hot-dog stand on fridays he would give me 3$.

the 100bht a day should be for weekday expenditures and a bit more on saturdays and sundays if the child is going somewhere with friends IMHO.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

it would be a boon for any parent to teach their kids to save for a rainy day.

Told him if he saves money I'll double it when he's 15

1 minute ago, PoorSucker said:

no one can really tell you what to do with your money in regards to your kid. you are the only one who knows him. ask yourself, knowing what you know about him, is he responsible?

1 minute ago, Pouatchee said:

no one can really tell you what to do with your money in regards to your kid. you are the only one who knows him. ask yourself, knowing what you know about him, is he responsible?

No, but I'm trying to teach him. But he's like me...not responsible 

Just now, PoorSucker said:

No, but I'm trying to teach him. But he's like me...not responsible 

nor was i. then maybe you try to be responsible and put aside money for his 'college fund'? dunno you or if you are doing it already...

remember this... 'easy come easy go' i chant this to myself now... it is my mantra. when things go sideways it helps me decide if something is worth fighting for.

when things come too easily we tend to squander them. just a fact of life... easy come easy go

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

Really he said, I doubled down. I'll double every birthday on your savings.

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

college fund'

He's tripple citizen Thai, Finland, Sweden, collage is free in Finland and Sweden although I went to college in Sweden and the the US (had to pay for my year in US)

Edited by PoorSucker

What a world we live in now... when a dad have to ask strangers how much pocket money to give to his son,

what next? how to feed him, bath him and tuck him into bed? you're his dad for god sake, figure that

out by trial and error and not asking strangers for advice...

• Sad 5

My kid has good values - when she has free time, of her own volition, she helps with everything. I gave her 10,000 baht per month in high school [I paid her rent but she was living on her own and paid all her expenses] and it was up to her discretion whether or not or how much to save and how much to spend. We have had many conversations about money. When my wife was not well this past summer, she spent every moment taking care of her. No requests for money for doing this and with no school and living at home, there was no stipend.  

6 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

If I give him 2000 baht per month is it spoiling him or is 1000 baht enough

As you say, 1,000 is enough for a 13-year old...👍