Question about a transit in BKK. 

G'day folks. Question about a transit in BKK if I can.........

At the moment I am blacklisted from coming to Thailand (thankfully only 1 more year to go) and spending some time in Laos and Cambodia. I want to fly from Vientiane to Frankfurt with Thai Airways via BKK. The connecting flight is 1 ticket, with the luggage being put through to the second flight, and the time in transit is only about 2 hours. Logically I can't see any problem going through BKK as I'm not doing any immigration, however, I've heard stories about airlines possibly seeing blacklists and refusing check-in. Has anyone heard of this or does anyone think I would have other problems going through BKK? Its also worth noting that my current passport is not the one with the blacklist in it, so there wouldn't be anything physically in the passport to see, however as mentioned I'm worried about whether airlines can see the data. 

Thanks in advance. 

46 minutes ago, PhoSai said:

Its also worth noting that my current passport is not the one with the blacklist in it, so there wouldn't be anything physically in the passport to see,

I can't answer your question but I can tell you that your passport will be linked automatically if by any chance you pass through immigration.  None of us know what goes on behind the scenes so it is possible that just your name on the flight's passenger manifest will ring alarm bells.  Its not something I'd take a chance on.

Good topic.  I hope the OP posts back with his results.  And I hope someone who's been there, done that can help him out here.

If any airline has a record of a blacklist, I suspect the Thai national airline would.  But you say it's a different passport with a different PP number (I assume) and Thai airlines may not have the ability to match them up like Immigration can.  (Or maybe they do, by name and birthdate)  If you don't get any answers here, I'd suggest you call them.

Best of luck.

Edited by impulse

18 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

What if your flight is delayed out of BKK and they have to put you up in a hotel until they can get you on next flight? That would require you passing through immigration.

Thanks for the reply. 

In this case I would just wait in no mans land for as long as needed. 

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

I can't answer your question but I can tell you that your passport will be linked automatically if by any chance you pass through immigration.  None of us know what goes on behind the scenes so it is possible that just your name on the flight's passenger manifest will ring alarm bells.  Its not something I'd take a chance on.

Thanks for the reply. 

Well this is the thing, the passport is different, the linkage with the airline would have to be name and DOB.

5 minutes ago, impulse said:

Good topic.  I hope the OP posts back with his results.  And I hope someone who's been there, done that can help him out here.

If any airline has a record of a blacklist, I suspect the Thai national airline would.  But you say it's a different passport with a different PP number (I assume) and Thai airlines may not have the ability to match them up like Immigration can.  (Or maybe they do, by name and birthdate)  If you don't get any answers here, I'd suggest you call them.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the reply, and yes maybe a call would be good.

Yeah, it's one of those grey-area topics. I will post again once this is done. Im assuming the worst case is that I am denied check in, which then just means booking another flight. I cant see there being a situation where they allow me on the plane but then have a problem in the transit area in BKK If there is a problem then it will be at check in. 

I'd assume (!) that for your flight leg into Thailand, Thailand's APIS will be contacted as part of the automated check-in processing, which would likely result in a "Do not board" message to the airline.

Special provisions for airside transfers might have been made, but how to know that for sure without potentially wasting money on an unusable ticket? You could try to ask the airline and see if they give you a definite answer.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Good for you!

You were lucky... Thailand use face recognition system and finger prints... no help what passport you use.

I've used Saigon in & out for over seas flights. Cheaper than BKK and less Immi control.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, GypsyT said:

Good for you!

You were lucky... Thailand use face recognition system and finger prints... no help what passport you use.

I've used Saigon in & out for over seas flights. Cheaper than BKK and less Immi control.

For immigration yes, but I didn't do Thai immigration. I find it very unlikely that my name popped up but the airline staff just said to themselves we will let it slide. My check-in process was not any slower than usual. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1