giffgaff trouble

I have a giffgaff UK mobile which I use almost exclusively for receiving one time passwords and PINS (OTP) from UK banks.

I have used the phone in this way for about two years without problems.  I have roughly twenty two Pounds giffgaff credit and no giffgaff plan. 

This phone stopped working yesterday in respect of OTP from UK banks and also if I try using SMS to login to my giffgaff account.  It receives SMS from UK and Thai mobiles as normal.

When I look at the settings for my giffgaff account I see that roaming status is set to off and there is the following message:  "However, it looks like you've not used your phone (in) the UK in the last couple of months so we've switched roaming off."  There is a list of roaming countries on the website and Thailand is not on the list.

I have contacted giffgaff to ask about this issue but I have not had a reply so far.

Any ideas as to how I can restore the receipt of OTPs from UK banks on this phone will be appreciated.  Would adding credit to the phone do the trick?

Sorry I can't help with specific details on a remedy. I've had similar problems maintaining a GiffGaff number, ( they cancel the number if you don't use it for 6 months). OTP's are the bane of my life, they frequently don't arrive or exceed the time limits.

Again, apologies for having no solution for you , however I can recommend downloading the bank app if they have one to your Thai phone and using that to receive OTP's. I have several and they also have the function of notifying me of any transactions within minutes or even seconds of me using the bank card.

22 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

I have a giffgaff UK mobile which I use almost exclusively for receiving one time passwords and PINS (OTP) from UK banks.

I have used the phone in this way for about two years without problems.  I have roughly twenty two Pounds giffgaff credit and no giffgaff plan. 

This phone stopped working yesterday in respect of OTP from UK banks and also if I try using SMS to login to my giffgaff account.  It receives SMS from UK and Thai mobiles as normal.

When I look at the settings for my giffgaff account I see that roaming status is set to off and there is the following message:  "However, it looks like you've not used your phone (in) the UK in the last couple of months so we've switched roaming off."  There is a list of roaming countries on the website and Thailand is not on the list.

I have contacted giffgaff to ask about this issue but I have not had a reply so far.

Any ideas as to how I can restore the receipt of OTPs from UK banks on this phone will be appreciated.  Would adding credit to the phone do the trick?

That is a concern, i use giffgaff no problems yet, i would call them, use Skype so it's cheap.

Edit: calling may be difficult so try logging into your account and ask an agent for help. I just got an OTP to login

Edited by scubascuba3

Have you tried turning your phone off and on? I have a back up phone with Giffgaff that is often left in a drawer. It sometimes runs out of battery and switches off. When I charge it again and switch it on I always get the 'welcome to Thailand' SMS. Might be worth a try?

10 minutes ago, DaLa said:

Sorry I can't help with specific details on a remedy. I've had similar problems maintaining a GiffGaff number, ( they cancel the number if you don't use it for 6 months). OTP's are the bane of my life, they frequently don't arrive or exceed the time limits.

Again, apologies for having no solution for you , however I can recommend downloading the bank app if they have one to your Thai phone and using that to receive OTP's. I have several and they also have the function of notifying me of any transactions within minutes or even seconds of me using the bank card.

12 minutes ago, DaLa said:

39 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

That is a concern, i use giffgaff no problems yet, i would call them, use Skype so it's cheap

Please ignore this post.

I cannot see how to clear quoted content from the reply window.

43 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

That is a concern, i use giffgaff no problems yet, i would call them, use Skype so it's cheap

I have been searching for a phone number for giffgaff but it appears they communicate online only.

54 minutes ago, DaLa said:

My main UK bank do have an app but if you use the app they still send OTPs by SMS to a UK mobile only.

11 minutes ago, Pickwick said:

Have you tried turning your phone off and on? I have a back up phone with Giffgaff that is often left in a drawer. It sometimes runs out of battery and switches off. When I charge it again and switch it on I always get the 'welcome to Thailand' SMS. Might be worth a try?

Yes I have tried that a couple of times without success.

giffgaff will switch off your account is you do not make a pay for item every 6 months, ie. sms, phone call etc

they normally give a few warning messages, giffgaff staff are all volunteers

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, steve187 said:

giffgaff will switch off your account is you do not make a pay for item every 6 months, ie. sms, phone call etc

they normally give a few warning messages, giffgaff staff are all volunteers

That is useful information.  I did not receive any warning messages.

16 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

Strange thing is it is just the OTPs that are the problem.

I sent an SMS to a friend in the UK a couple of hours ago and it was received.

Now you have made a 'paid' text to the UK normal service MIGHT be resumed. I have had a similar problem with EE and once I made a call or sent a text using my pay as you go balance the problem went away. Have you attempted to receive an OTP since you sent that SMS?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Keeps said:

Now you have made a 'paid' text to the UK normal service MIGHT be resumed. I have had a similar problem with EE and once I made a call or sent a text using my pay as you go balance the problem went away. Have you attempted to receive an OTP since you sent that SMS?

Just tried to log on to my bank.  No OTP received.  Cannot log on.

I could try adding credit and making a call to the UK.

2 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Use the giffgaff phone and send an sms to your Thai phone. That will tell you if it's forwarding or not.

Yes I have done that.  Message was received on my Thai phone.  Works the other way around too.

Just OTPs that are the problem including giffgaff account log on.

• Thumbs Up 1

Probably clutching at straws but just seen this as a possible solution.....

Check and Fix Network Connection: Sometimes, the problem isn't on your end or the sender's; it's the network. Low signals can lead to OTPs not reaching you. To solve this, enable aeroplane mode, restart your phone, then turn off aeroplane mode. Request a new OTP, and this time, it should come through.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

Just tried to log on to my bank.  No OTP received.  Cannot log on.

I could try adding credit and making a call to the UK.

Try phoning your bank, and explain the situation to them. Or email. They MAY be able to help you by disabling the OTP requirement.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Keeps said:

Probably clutching at straws but just seen this as a possible solution.....

Check and Fix Network Connection: Sometimes, the problem isn't on your end or the sender's; it's the network. Low signals can lead to OTPs not reaching you. To solve this, enable aeroplane mode, restart your phone, then turn off aeroplane mode. Request a new OTP, and this time, it should come through.

Just done that.  No joy so far but phone has only been back on for a few minutes.  I will certainly report back if there is good news.

Edited by In the jungle
spelling

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Try phoning your bank, and explain the situation to them. Or email. They MAY be able to help you by disabling the OTP requirement.

This particular bank are very hostile to the idea that anybody living outside the UK has an account with them.  I have had to fight them tooth and nail repeatedly to retain my account.  I will ponder what you say but such an enquiry may lead them to conclude that I am too much trouble as a customer.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

Thanks for the link.  I will look at it in the morning.

I just hope you haven't fallen foul of this potential issue which was raised a while ago -

4 minutes ago, topt said:

I just hope you haven't fallen foul of this potential issue which was raised a while ago -

I guess it is possible.  The last time my giffgaff UK mobile was in the UK was about fifteen months ago.

20 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

This particular bank are very hostile to the idea that anybody living outside the UK has an account with them.  I have had to fight them tooth and nail repeatedly to retain my account.  I will ponder what you say but such an enquiry may lead them to conclude that I am too much trouble as a customer.

Time to change your bank.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Time to change your bank.

I have other UK bank accounts but they have maximum balance limits and once they are at or near the limit, as mine are, you cannot really do much with them.

The awkward bank either has no limit or it is high enough that it is academic.  I use it mostly as a distribution point to send money elsewhere.

But you are probably right.  I do need another bank that can perform a similar function and frees me, so far as possible, from these wretched OTPs.

Edited by In the jungle
grammar

21 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

I have other UK bank accounts but they have maximum balance limits and once they are at or near the limit, as mine are, you cannot really do much with them.

The awkward bank either has no limit or it is high enough that it is academic.  I use it mostly as a distribution point to send money elsewhere.

But you are probably right.  I do need another bank that can perform a similar function and frees me, so far as possible, from these wretched OTPs.

My bank in Australia has tried to enlist me in their OTP system. I asked them if they would send the OTP to a Thai phone number. They said no. OK, rack off then.

I do have money invested with another financial institution in Australia, who sends me an OTP every time I log on here. I've just withdrawn some money.

When I asked my bank why said company could send me an OTP, and they couldn't. I got stony silence.

I deal with a bullion company. They can't send me an OTP by phone. I get it via email instead.

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

My bank in Australia has tried to enlist me in their OTP system. I asked them if they would send the OTP to a Thai phone number. They said no. OK, rack off then.

I do have money invested with another financial institution in Australia, who sends me an OTP every time I log on here. I've just withdrawn some money.

When I asked my bank why said company could send me an OTP, and they couldn't. I got stony silence.

I deal with a bullion company. They can't send me an OTP by phone. I get it via email instead.

Maybe I should have stayed in the UK in the cold and the rain.

I would be miserable but my bank would work.