Best restaurants in Chiang Mai

Trujillo

2 minutes ago, BonnieandClyde said:

Singling out this place as polluted is ridiculous - and under Thai civil law, defamatory.

It is no more or less unhygenic than any other eatery located on a busy throughfare anywhere else in Chiang Mai.

You would be well advised to understand that truth and falsehood are not the issues in defamation and liable cases here in Thailand.

It is the "intent to defame".

Guten appetit!

It’s in the middle of an upscale housing estate, I don’t get the pollution inference.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, BonnieandClyde said:

Singling out this place as polluted is ridiculous - and under Thai civil law, defamatory.

It is no more or less unhygenic than any other eatery located on a busy throughfare anywhere else in Chiang Mai.

You would be well advised to understand that truth and falsehood are not the issues in defamation and liable cases here in Thailand.

It is the "intent to defame".

Guten appetit!

Yeah, they can try suing me outside Thailand with an anon. username.

6 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

By teleportation? Wafted by ghosts perhaps?

Let’s keep sensible shall we.

Yes, you are right - air pollution tends to stay in the same place as we can see with fires  burning west of Chiang Mai.

The passage of traffic next to a place is going to move road pollution fumes into the place.

Chai n Thai is an interesting Indian restaurant, because it has a South indian menu  including dosas. Good quality, but sadly the atmosphere is not great and the last time there were very low class English people there.

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Nick Carter icp said:

Even low class English people would be better than middle class Scottish people 

Hahahaha, I like English people. Salt of the earth, just those  people were heavily tatooed, very loud, demanding, it really was an irritant, glad when they left.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

On 8/14/2024 at 11:45 AM, JBChiangRai said:

Yes, I hope you enjoy it, best Penang I’ve ever had.

One of my wife's cousins is in the tour bus biz and knows a lot of great Thai restaurants that are under the radar.  I've been to one in Ayutthaya in a rural setting on the banks of the Chao Phraya river.   I've never been disappointed by any of the dishes we've ordered and the prices were hardly higher than side street vendors.

Panang is definitely a central Thailand dish and I've had many excellent versions of it, including my wife's.  She cooks as well as the restaurant I described above.  Her panang shown below.

IMG_6440.JPG

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, gamb00ler said:

I've been to one in Ayutthaya in a rural setting on the banks of the Chao Phraya river.

That’s a bit far from cm for a meal don’t you think?

• Haha 1

Had lunch today at Norden the Swedish restaurant which has been smartened up since my last visit. One standout item on the menu for this bloke is the halibut which never disappoints. Top spot.

On 8/15/2024 at 11:18 PM, gamb00ler said:

One of my wife's cousins is in the tour bus biz and knows a lot of great Thai restaurants that are under the radar.  I've been to one in Ayutthaya in a rural setting on the banks of the Chao Phraya river.   I've never been disappointed by any of the dishes we've ordered and the prices were hardly higher than side street vendors.

Panang is definitely a central Thailand dish and I've had many excellent versions of it, including my wife's.  She cooks as well as the restaurant I described above.  Her panang shown below.

IMG_6440.JPG

Panang curry has multiple claims of origin, reflecting its complex history and cultural exchange between Thailand and Malaysia. Here are the key findings:

Central Thailand: Some sources suggest that Panang curry originated in central Thailand, sharing similarities with traditional Thai red curry.

Laos: Another claim states that Panang curry originated from Laos, a local rural area in Thailand, before spreading to modern cities in Thailand and beyond.

Penang, Malaysia: A third perspective posits that Panang curry actually originated from Penang, an island off the west coast of Malaysia, and was later adopted in Thailand.

• Agree 1