Election News: Virginia removes Foreigners from its Voter Rolls

riclag

9 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Also, just to put things in some context...

1. the 6,300+ people the state is now saying were removed from the voting rolls for supposedly being non-citizens, or apparently also not providing enough proof that they are citizens, is the TOTAL the state has removed over the past 2-1/2 years since Youngkin and his fellow Republican attorney general took office in early 2022.... And that's out of about 4.5 million registered voters in the state.

2. nowhere in the above announcement do Youngkin or his minions make any claims about what if any numbers of the supposed non-citizens, based on their roll scrubbing, actually did vote in any of the state's past elections. You'd think if any meaningful number of actual improper votes had occurred, they wouldn't be shy about reporting that.  But instead, thus far, silence on that point. Hmmm...

3. Or how about state prosecutions in Virginia for illegal voting?  Nope,  nothing about that either in the governor's announcement.... So where's all the supposedly illegal voting that the Republicans keep claiming exists... In light of their silence on that point, I certainly hope Gov. Youngkin and his attorney general aren't soft on actual illegal voters!

Thanks 2-1-2 years it took to find!

In a election were it is so crucial to be accurate in a timely fashion!

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, riclag said:

Virginia Removes more than 6,300 Foreigners  from its Voter Rolls

So how do 'foreigners' - as opposed to former criminals - get on the voter rolls in the first place? Don't you have to have some ID (ID card, p/p, d/l ... )?

"While the governor has centered on election security ahead of the presidential race, trying to skirt Virginia’s voting rules is something his family has tried to do. Per 2021 reports, Youngkin’s then-17-year-old son tried to vote in the Virginia gubernatorial race that Youngkin ultimately won despite being too young to vote."

https://www.wric.com/news/virginia-news/youngkins-election-security-order-gets-trumps-praise-and-democratic-criticism/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Virginia has been down this same road before under Republican Gov. Youngkin, and it didn't end well for the state and its credibility, the prior episode below involving former convicted felons who had had their voting rights restored, only to then be wrongly booted off the voting rolls. One has to wonder whether they did any better in this latest episode.

Virginia admits thousands of voters wrongly purged days before election

1 Nov 2023

Virginia election officials wrongly removed almost 3,400 eligible voters from the state’s voter rolls, a significant error that has caused alarm among voting rights groups just days before critical state elections that will determine which party controls the state legislature.

Officials announced the number of voters affected by the purge on Friday – more than 10 times the number of people they had initially said were affected. Macaulay Porter, a spokesperson for the governor, Glenn Youngkin, had told the Washington Post on 6 October that at least 270 people had been wrongly removed and that officials didn’t expect that number to rise much. Officials declined to provide updates on the number affected until Friday, when they announced that the actual number was “nearly 3,400” (they did not provide an exact figure). VPM, Virginia’s NPR affiliate, first reported on the issue in September.

Earlier this year, Virginia announced it had identified 10,558 people who had had their rights restored but had subsequently committed a new felony. That data wasn’t accurate. The Virginia state police, which had been supplying the data to the state, had been wrongly flagging people as having committed a new felony if they had received a technical violation of their probation – something like failing to show up for a meeting or failing a urine test.

(more)

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/nov/01/youngkin-virginia-election-voters-removed

They committed parole violations. No more need be said.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Also, just to put things in some context...

1. the 6,300+ people the state is now saying were removed from the voting rolls for supposedly being non-citizens, or apparently also not providing enough proof that they are citizens, is the TOTAL the state has removed over the past 2-1/2 years since Youngkin and his fellow Republican attorney general took office in early 2022.... And that's out of about 4.5 million registered voters in the state.

2. nowhere in the above announcement do Youngkin or his minions make any claims about what if any numbers of the supposed non-citizens, based on their roll scrubbing, actually did vote in any of the state's past elections. You'd think if any meaningful number of actual improper votes had occurred, they wouldn't be shy about reporting that.  But instead, thus far, silence on that point. Hmmm...

3. Or how about state prosecutions in Virginia for illegal voting?  Nope,  nothing about that either in the governor's announcement.... So where's all the supposedly illegal voting that the Republicans keep claiming exists... In light of their silence on that point, I certainly hope Gov. Youngkin and his attorney general aren't soft on actual illegal voters!

Yep. Thank you although we both are aware the MAGA types are not known for their critical thinking skills.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Anyone want to consider the irony here. I certainly want only American citizens to vote so certainly check on these issues Virginia. The irony, Virginia you have publicly documented that you have assured that only valid votes will be cast … you will have no excuse for not certifying the vote results.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

Anyone want to consider the irony here. I certainly want only American citizens to vote so certainly check on these issues Virginia. The irony, Virginia you have publicly documented that you have assured that only valid votes will be cast … you will have no excuse for not certifying the vote results.

Back of the net....

8 minutes ago, radiochaser said:

In the case of my Thai brother in law, who is a green card holder (legal immigrant) in the U.S. of A., he was registerd to vote under the motor voter law in Pennsylvania when he was issued his Pennsylvania ID card (could have been drivers license).  I told the office of registrar of voters office 2 or 3 times he was not a U.S. citizen thus not eligable to vote.   

Everytime I checked the voter rolls after notifying the registrar of voters office he was still registered to vote.  Perhaps he was still registered because his voter registration had him registered as a democrat!!!

Good to hear he is registered as a Democrat at least.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, radiochaser said:

In the case of my Thai brother in law, who is a green card holder (legal immigrant) in the U.S. of A., he was registerd to vote under the motor voter law in Pennsylvania when he was issued his Pennsylvania ID card (could have been drivers license).  I told the office of registrar of voters office 2 or 3 times he was not a U.S. citizen thus not eligable to vote.   

Everytime I checked the voter rolls after notifying the registrar of voters office he was still registered to vote.  Perhaps he was still registered because his voter registration had him registered as a democrat!!!

Thanks for that information!

Every state has its own election rules! Im thinking of all the irregularities ,

all the loopholes such as using a  drivers  license, motor voter registration , medicare forms with voter registration, Its confusing for some illegals especially in states where they just need to show proof of residence.

You have the right to register to vote on Election Day if you can show the required proof of residence.

in Minnesota 

https://www.sos.state.mn.us/elections-voting/election-day-voting/know-your-rights/

There is NO ENFORCEMENT MECHANISMS ! And its very difficult to prove IN A TIMELY MANNER.

19 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Good to hear he is registered as a Democrat at least.

I told him if he voted, he would be arrested for illegaly voting and would lose his green card. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, radiochaser said:

I told him if he voted, he would be arrested for illegaly voting and would lose his green card. 

My wife’s sister just got her Green card  , last year. Her and her Husband both live in Madison WI. Nice hard woking people. You have aroused my curiosity.

2 minutes ago, riclag said:

My wife’s sister just got her Green card  , last year. Her and her Husband both live in Madison WI. Nice hard woking people. You have aroused my curiosity.

Aroused your curiosity in what way?

1 minute ago, riclag said:

Voting as a green card holder in WI in the current election

I don't know about WI laws regarding legal aliens voting rights.   Only that, allegedly, in Pennsylvania only u.S. Citizens are legaly allowed to vote. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

You must be a U.S. citizen in order to vote. Citizenship is documented through a U.S. birth certificate or a
Certificate of Naturalization, but proof of citizenship is not required to vote. Green card or visa status does not
qualify a person to vote in Wisconsin elections.

https://bringit.wi.gov/sites/bringit/files/3 4 Voter Eligibility-2020 july update.pdf

This is a concern , relying on the honor system for non citizens  to abide by the rules! No enforcement mechanisms!

I have no idea of her political activities or affiliation!

You brought up a interesting point!

Thanks

Edited by riclag

Challenging to find other sources, most are reprints of The Federalist's "claims, to support the OP's post.

The "foreigners" claim is also a bit suspicious.

Yes, Virginia may have illegally removed thousands U.S. Citizens from the voter registration list. Does that count?

More salting of the ground to call into question any "undesirable" election results.

I'm not sure Virgina is in play for Trump? Tim Kaine is rolling, and Biden won by 10 points (and ~ 500,000 votes) in 2020. So Gov. Youngkin will need to target and remove several hundred thousand voters.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

Challenging to find other sources, most are reprints of The Federalist's "claims, to support the OP's post.

The "foreigners" claim is also a bit suspicious.

Yes, Virginia may have illegally removed thousands U.S. Citizens from the voter registration list. Does that count?

More salting of the ground to call into question any "undesirable" election results.

I'm not sure Virgina is in play for Trump? Tim Kaine is rolling, and Biden won by 10 points (and ~ 500,000 votes) in 2020. So Gov. Youngkin will need to target and remove several hundred thousand voters.

Im sure what ever Gov Youngkin does,the  lawyers will have studied & researched the legality of his recent EO.

To many loop holes created by dems in past leadership have created this situation!

Remember ,many progressive’s want illegals and non citizens to vote!This is how they think below.

“Undocumented immigrants are part of the political community just like any other resident. They should have full voting rights”.

https://jacobin.com/2018/11/noncitizen-voting-undocumented-immigrants-midterm-elections

Edited by riclag
  • Sad 1