On 8/15/2024 at 7:49 AM, Everyman said:

On the contrary, since the new tax policy was brought in by the now defunct administration, I think this will be the nail in the coffin for any potential enforcement if there ever was any chance. 

This is a good point.

If the Digital Wallet can disappear, so can the new tax regulations.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Once you file a tax return, you are in the clutches of the RD, and it won't be so easy to escape from the tax system.

I am bailing from Thailand for all but 179 days of the year.

As soon as you start to receive bank interest that has 15% withholding tax deducted, you are a part of the tax system. Once you receive a year long visa and your immigration record show you remained in country for more than 180 days in a calendar year, you are part of the tax system. Formalizing all of that by obtaining a TIN and filing a tax return (if needed), merely completes the formalities. 

I've been filing taxes here for 15 years, on and off. Some years I file, some years I don't need to file, I never hear from the TRD when I don't file and when I go to the TRD office the next year to file, nothing is ever said. Being "in the clutches" makes it sound like you're crossing a line that can never be uncrossed and that life will never be the same again, to which I say, nonsense. 

• Agree 2

On 8/10/2024 at 3:51 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

There is no requirement to file a tax return, however there is a requirement to pay tax if any tax is due.

Should you decide not to pay any tax due and the TRD decides to audit you the invitation will be one that you cannot refuse 

If I had tax due my home country would tax me, not this mob, double taxed ? no way. 

• Confused 3

On 8/13/2024 at 8:16 AM, koolkarl said:

So many clucking hens.  Thailand is a member of OECD and has signed the CRS agreement with more than 40 countries.  Thailand did this as there are advantages to Thailand.  If Thailand wants to keep these advantages, they must adhere to the rules of OECD and CRS.  Living in Thailand more than 180 days a year makes one a Thai tax resident, thus supposed to file a Thai tax return by March 2025.  It is easy for immigration to link your visa renewal to proof of you filing a Thai tax return, whether you like it or not.  The CRS effects are yet to be implemented. 

And easy for the Thai police to enforce the rules for wearing a motorcycle helmet, too.

1 minute ago, chiang mai said:

As soon as you start to receive bank interest that has 15% withholding tax deducted, you are a part of the tax system. Once you receive a year long visa and your immigration record show you remained in country for more than 180 days in a calendar year, you are part of the tax system. Formalizing all of that by obtaining a TIN and filing a tax return (if needed), merely completes the formalities. 

I've been filing taxes here for 15 years, on and off. Some years I file, some years I don't need to file, I never hear from the TRD when I don't file and when I go to the TRD office the next year to file, nothing is ever said. Being "in the clutches" makes it sound like you're crossing a line that can never be uncrossed and that life will never be the same again, to which I say, nonsense. 

How much money is required in a savings account to accumulate enough interest for withholding to be used?

Asking for a friend.

Are we talking millions of baht?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Once you receive a year long visa and your immigration record show you remained in country for more than 180 days in a calendar year, you are part of the tax system. 

I believe you just invented a fantastic new capability of the Thai government.

Edited by Danderman123
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I do, to prevent double taxation, as I said.

The DTA will give *some* protection from double taxation. Your home country tax payment serves as a credit towards your Thai tax.

However, if your home country tax rate is lower than the Thai rate, you may have to pay the difference to Thailand.

Edited by Danderman123
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Any retired expat who remains in Thailand for more than a cumulative 179 days each calendar year is considered to be tax resident here whether they like it or not. This is mot a matter of choice whether to be tac resident or not, if you remain here you are.

No they are not.  Where in the visa regulations do you find this? 

• Confused 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

How much money is required in a savings account to accumulate enough interest for withholding to be used?

Asking for a friend.

Are we talking millions of baht?

The first 20k baht of interest can be tax free at the bank, if they have a record of your TIN, 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The first 20k baht of interest can be tax free at the bank, if they have a record of your TIN, 

How much money has to be stashed in a Thai bank account to generate 20K baht in interest?

• Haha 2

It depends on the interest rate! 100k baht at 5% interest is 5k, 400k baht at 5k is 20k. 800k baht at 2.5% is 20k, and so on.

I suspect many people have Thai bank accounts at close to zero interest.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

It depends on the interest rate! 100k baht at 5% interest is 5k, 400k baht at 5k is 20k. 800k baht at 2.5% is 20k, and so on.

Who is confused at simple math, if folks can't work this out, they shouldn't have bank accounts!

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Yumthai said:

The initial question was about Savings account, which yield about 0.5%.

https://thailand.deposits.org/savings-accounts/

Sorry, I didn't see that part, I just kinda jumped in and responded to something I read that I felt needed to be corrected, mea culpa. Soooo, if the question is how much and how long before a yield of 0.5% incurs tax etc etc....about 4 mill plus for one year will generate 20k which might be free of tax at the bank and negate the need to file a return.

2 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Sorry, I didn't see that part, I just kinda jumped in and responded to something I read that I felt needed to be corrected, mea culpa. Soooo, if the question is how much and how long before a yield of 0.5% incurs tax etc etc....about 4 mill plus for one year will generate 20k which might be free of tax at the bank and negate the need to file a return.

Better up-to-date Thai banks interest rates info here:

https://www.bot.or.th/en/statistics/interest-rate.html

On 8/11/2024 at 9:48 AM, KhunHeineken said:

A DTA ensures the same money is not taxed twice.  A DTA does not ensure the money is only taxed in one country. 

What you post about is a common myth, which this guy explains quite well.

Wrong. Under Article 20, subsection 1. of the DTA between The United States and Thailand, government pensions, which means Social Security, can only be taxed by the United States government. Under subsection 3. of Article 20, annuities, which pay out funds in predetermined amounts at regular time intervals, also can only be taxed by the United States tax authorities. Maybe the DTA between your country and Thailand says something different.