Name your favourite Thai bank. Mine is UOB.

On 8/12/2024 at 7:23 PM, KannikaP said:

Bangkok Bank for over 15 years. No problems ever.

Even when a few years ago 1 million people lost a few bat taken out fraudulently from all their accounts and no refund nothing acknowledged to give it back.

• Confused 1

Just now, arick said:

Even when a few years ago 1 million people lost a few bat taken out fraudulently from all their accounts and no refund nothing acknowledged to give it back.

Never happened to me, that I know of. 

5 minutes ago, arick said:

It probably did and you didn't know. It was around 129 baht happens to millions of customers 

Just got reminder that they will take Bht 300 at the end of the month for Card possession. I must learn this cardless withdrawal method. Save myself 4 x beers.

On 8/12/2024 at 8:45 PM, Celsius said:

By that logic McDonald's Thailand is Thai authentic food.

By that logic, which is reality, most gold vaults in the world are not that safe too, as they are usually subsidaries of USA companies, so they could just seize all.

Many people think those details not matter but they do. So whoever wrote that is right, if you open a UOB account here, you technically are stuck with the Thais and certainly can't expect the same standards or guarantees that Singapore offers.

Singapore itself is a solid choice, they also have a 100% Singapore owned vault there called the silver bullion. You can buy, sell and borrow online with them too.

And in terms of mcdonalds food; it really tastes better here than in Vietnam, so in a way, yes, every mcdonalds in other country is different. It's Thai McDonalds.

Edited by BakedPanda

On 8/12/2024 at 8:35 PM, Celsius said:

From Singapore. 

Congrads:cheesy: Company or Companie, has nothing to do with the fact that you have no idea that UOB is a Thai bank, smartass

Edited by ujayujay

On 8/13/2024 at 9:06 AM, CallumWK said:

Find another branch of the same bank, the manager thinks he can make up his own rules. In fact most of them do

Except that they called internal support at their head office. Problem solved - I opened a new account with Krungsri in minutes...

i have had Kasikorn since it was Thai-Farmers. They have been great. 

I have had Krungsri for about six years and also have a safety box with them. The’ve been great. 

I have had Bkk for about six years as well, and I am no a fan. 

I have had UOB about six months because they took over my Citibank card and they seem okay. 

I like the K-bank app best, but UOB is gaining on them.

On 8/12/2024 at 6:52 PM, advancebooking said:

I have accounts in numerous Thai banks. I recently opened up a account with UOB. 

The lass told me that I can use my card at any bank at any location in Thailand and no fees. Also can use the card in Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore no fees. 

UOB recently bought out Citibank and both cards are in the app. 

Pink bank GSB would be my 2nd choice. All funds are govt' guaranteed. 1 million limit on all other Thai banks. I think Pink bank is a solid choice for all farang living here. 

Whats your fav bank?

Do you have internet  banking with UOB?. 

GSB Does have the security but no internet banking for foreigners

2 hours ago, newnative said:

Yellow Bank is my favorite, especially the Central Festival Pattaya branch.  Runner-up would be Bangkok Bank, where I also have an account.

A yellow bank I think everybody on here is morons no banks are my favorite The worst thing I hate are banks who can say they have a favorite bank All banks are s***

On 8/12/2024 at 7:23 PM, KannikaP said:

Bangkok Bank for over 15 years. No problems ever.

Out of 14 replies, just one put the SAD emoji. If it was you, please explain.

• Sad 2

On 8/12/2024 at 9:16 PM, LennyW said:

Been with UOB in Thailand for 14 years, banking, phone banking, credit card and debit card with them, cant fault them.

Im now with UOB transfer from Citibank Thailand, I was told they do not have a bank passbook, anyway I use SCB for immigration. Also I understand that if you have a foreign currency account, transfers from FCD to Thai baht account  has to be done at a ( any branch )  cannot online.   

On 8/12/2024 at 6:52 PM, advancebooking said:

I have accounts in numerous Thai banks. I recently opened up a account with UOB. 

The lass told me that I can use my card at any bank at any location in Thailand and no fees. Also can use the card in Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore no fees. 

UOB recently bought out Citibank and both cards are in the app. 

Pink bank GSB would be my 2nd choice. All funds are govt' guaranteed. 1 million limit on all other Thai banks. I think Pink bank is a solid choice for all farang living here. 

Whats your fav bank?

UOB debit cards - no fee in Thailand if the ATM has the 'ATM POOL' sticker on it their website says.  

6 hours ago, Stocky said:

Why on earth would you be visiting an ATM machine more than 3 times a day!?

I take enough money out for a week or two at a time, or at least I did, now I use scan to pay for most things, so maybe use an ATM once every couple of months.

I take money out in 400 baht increments to ensure I only get 100 baht notes. This to avoid the problem of Thais not having change.

For large purchases I use scanpay, a credit card or take out the precise amount of cash in larger notes. 

Edited by Everyman
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Everyman said:

I take money out in 400 baht increments to ensure I only get 100 baht notes. This to avoid the problem of Thais not having change.

For large purchases I use scanpay, a credit card or take out the precise amount of cash in larger notes. 

There's nowt so queer as folk.

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, Stocky said:

There's nowt so queer as folk.

You haven’t notice that Thais never seem to have change? This is completely reasonable solution to a real problem. Surely you’ve seen “farangs” try to pay for the 10 baht bus ride with a 1000 baht note? Which is better, that, or what I am doing? 

2 hours ago, Everyman said:

You haven’t notice that Thais never seem to have change? This is completely reasonable solution to a real problem. Surely you’ve seen “farangs” try to pay for the 10 baht bus ride with a 1000 baht note? Which is better, that, or what I am doing? 

I suspect it depends on where you live, I've never really had an issue with receiving my change. However, in popular tourist areas there's possibly a hope/expectation you'll let them keep the change, but I don't live in a city with many farang tourists.

I wouldn't expect a 10 Bht bus here to change a 1000Bht note, but they'll give change to 20, 50 or 100 and if I get Bht5,000 from the ATM buying goods in a shop or meal in a restaurant will generate the change I need. I've never thought to take Bht400 from the ATM to get Bh100 notes.

Obviously needs must wherever it is you live, but it's not a problem I've encountered, so never given it thought until now.

On 8/12/2024 at 3:38 PM, Lemsta69 said:

Was this before or after the rule were tightened in April 2023? Do you even know that there was a rule change then?

That was well before 2023. Rule tightening in Thailand is always relative though. I'm quite convinced it could still be possible for someone to open an account there if persistent enough. You might wanna purchase a condo and need to transfer money from abroad. That's one scenario/excuse. Krungsri and UOB seemed safest bets, but Bangkok Bank could also be possible. I remember they just wanted me to provide a copy of my condo rental and a certificate from my embassy as a registered non-resident in Thailand. I just wanted the easiest one and Krungsri had more ATMs at 7-11 and more branches overall than UOB so I went with the yellow bank. Always cool people working there.

On 8/14/2024 at 5:28 PM, Everyman said:

I understand it may be easier for you to just stop by an ATM to get small money several times a day or week, but it's much easier for me and less hassle to just stop at my bank once a month to get 20k, and change it for 20s, 50s, 100s, & 500s, then I'm good for a month. That's much less hassle for me.

On 8/13/2024 at 7:12 AM, Pouatchee said:

krungsri exchange rate is on of the worst. i use bangkok bnk for internayional tranfers. i looked at uob exchange rate and they seem to offer a good exchange

I agree with this. 

Krungsri - I use my Krungsri account for my regular transactions, bill payments, credit card use, etc ... If one has more than 5-million THB in Krungsri one can obtain a number of extra perks (Krungsri Exclusive) ... such as a 2 Dragon Pass lounge access per year, 2 Thai airways lounge access per year (if flying Thai airways), use of the Krungsri lounge at the bank, access to the Krungsri specific line at the bank for faster service ... etc ..  When I was on a Type-O (and later a Type-OA) visa, I found Krungsri very good (same day service within minutes)  in printing the annual statement and accompanying letter for the 1-year visa extension renewals.  Negatives? I found Krungsri slow and not so good for international currency exchange between one's foreign currency accounts.

Bangkok Bank. For bringing large amounts of money into Thailand I use Bangkok Bank and its good.  Krungsri in my experience is not so good here.  For foreign currency transfers I have different currency accounts with Bangkok bank and I use it to transfer large amounts of money between different currencies and its good.  Negatives?  To obtain same sort of perks at Bangkok Bank (that one can get at Krungsri) one has to deposit a LOT more money in Bangkok bank - so such for me is not something I want to do.   When I was on a Type-O (and later a Type-OA) visa, Bangkok Bank was HORRIBLY slow (1 week - has to go to Bangkok to have done ) for the providing the annual statement and accompanying letter for the 1-year visa extension renewals.

For small currency transfers (or small amounts of money brought into Thailand) I use Wise.

Edited by oldcpu
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/14/2024 at 8:04 AM, jippytum said:

GSB Does have the security but no internet banking for foreigners

Are you sure that GSB doesn't offer internet banking for foreigners? Is that a global bank rule of GSB or only a rule of your branch where you opened your account?

12 hours ago, oldcpu said:

When I was on a Type-O (and later a Type-OA) visa, I found Krungsri very good (same day service within minutes)  in printing the annual statement and accompanying letter for the 1-year visa extension renewals. 

Yes, it usually takes about 15 minutes with Krungsri here in Hat Yai.

On 8/12/2024 at 7:45 PM, Pouatchee said:

they have one of the worst exchange rates of all the banks in thailand... good to see they have one good thing going for them

I use BKB for sending money then transfer it to Krungsri, they take max 20min for my annual letter and statement, not days, my IO require everything to be dated same day.

5 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

How long do they take for your bank letter and statement, I heard it's days.

12 month statement is one week. So I get 6 months x 2. But you can ask for the 12 month one a week earlier than you need it.

Letters done there & then.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

12 month statement is one week. So I get 6 months x 2. But you can ask for the 12 month one a week earlier than you need it.

Letters done there & then.

That's why I don't use them, My immigration office insist ALL docs. must be same day, I wonder why BKB take so long ?  As said Krungsri take 20min max.