Mai Sai border run

8 hours ago, Mahseer said:

Closed to foreigners has been for years. Chiang Khong will oblige.

For years is a bit overdone. I passed the border end of July 2023.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Caldera said:

Not so easy for someone who lives in the North and therefor asks about Mae Sai.

Yes very true, I did cross from Mae Sai a few years back, carried a bunch of red wine back with me, about 40% cheaper than Thailand!!

• Like 1

On 8/14/2024 at 3:52 PM, DD86 said:

For years is a bit overdone. I passed the border end of July 2023.

If it was Mae Sai, no you didn't. That border closed to foreigners on July 1, 2023. I know because I went there July 4 to confirm what I had basically already known and immigration told me it was indeed closed to us "whities".

I was staying in the Golden Triangle, having just re-entered via Chiang Khong from Jinghong, Chinathat previous evening and had a bit of time to check things out in the area.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Caldera said:

Not so easy for someone who lives in the North and therefor asks about Mae Sai.

The golden Triangle border crossing to Laos is like 35km away from Mae Sai. Just go there. 

What's the obsession with Mae Sai anyway? I don't get it.

• Confused 3
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Tomtomtom69 said:

So?

Just go to Laos. If you can't afford to purchase a Lao visa or fill in a form, you're not the type of foreigner Thailand needs.

One "can't afford" or just don't like to waste money?   Ask a Thai who would like one of the good jobs we fund, if they "don't need" us here.  Granted, every "border run" should be replaced with just getting another extension - similar to the Philippines - so more of folks' money is spent in Thailand.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

On 8/14/2024 at 1:40 AM, thirsty21 said:

Could someone please give me the latest on border crossing at Mai Sai. Is it open? Still 500THB on Burma side?

Beer Lao soothes that extra visa cost to Laos...40 baht for 640ml.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2024 at 10:27 PM, Rob Browder said:

One "can't afford" or just don't like to waste money?   Ask a Thai who would like one of the good jobs we fund, if they "don't need" us here.  Granted, every "border run" should be replaced with just getting another extension - similar to the Philippines - so more of folks' money is spent in Thailand.

Seriously, if you can't afford to do a simple visa run, you shouldn't be here.

The rules are what they are. Better yet, qualify for a visa, which doesn't require you to undertake a visa run or live in Laos or Cambodia, where visa runs aren't required. 

Expats don't "fund" jobs here. Nor are expats major employers either. Thailand isn't Dubai, where you have foreigners working in every industry or every kind of job. Just look around you - westerners are mostly relegated to English teaching, working in education or running their own businesses. A large number of expats/foreigners work online for offshore entities.

I'd seriously reconsider your entitled attitude.

Thais can sort out their own lives and don't actually need us here. 98% of the country is largely westerner-free, which proves that Thais are getting by just fine on their own.

Edited by Tomtomtom69
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Caldera said:

Maybe in the last century or somewhere out in the sticks.

If you visit any office building in Bangkok's CBD at lunch time, on the other hand, you'll see all kinds of Westerners working in all kinds of jobs for all kinds of companies. Obviously many other foreigners, too, but since you were talking about Westerners specifically. I'd say your view is more than a little bit outdated.

Those are either English teachers, diplomatic staff, visiting businessmen or consultants but go to any office and you'll find maybe 1 or 2 westerners working there no more.

30 or 40 years ago, there were many more. Nowadays, Thais can do things on their own.

Very few Westerners work in Thailand generally speaking. 

Wages are relatively low and bureaucracy/restrictions on hiring foreigners makes it unattractive to most companies.

Bangkok is not the type of place to come for work if you're a foreigner, especially outside of the educational field, where most foreigners work.

Edited by Tomtomtom69
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/19/2024 at 8:45 AM, Tomtomtom69 said:

Seriously, if you can't afford to do a simple visa run, you shouldn't be here.

Translation: "If you don't enjoy supporting corruption / graft, then you should not be here."   You are equating "not being able to afford a visa run" with happily being ripped-off by kleptocrats, as part of the package.

Better yet, qualify for a visa, which doesn't require you to undertake a visa run or live in Laos or Cambodia, where visa runs aren't required. 

I assume you mean annual-extensions, rather than "visas" - where the choice is often "rigamarole" or "pay the agent."  Same, same.

Expats don't "fund" jobs here. Nor are expats major employers either. Thailand isn't Dubai, where you have foreigners working in every industry or every kind of job. Just look around you - westerners are mostly relegated to English teaching, working in education or running their own businesses. A large number of expats/foreigners work online for offshore entities.

Exapts fund jobs here with every foreign-currency spend they make - and pay VAT taxes, as well.  

As to employers and employees in Thailand, have you heard of the BOI?   I previously worked at a BOI company, where a significant portion of staff was foreigners with needed expertise in business-roles.

I'd seriously reconsider your entitled attitude.

I would re-consider your anti-Thailand attitude - pushing for expats to leave and support Cambodia and Laos, instead, which would result in unemployment for multiple Thais per expat pushed away.  

The MFA understands this, which is why they have made changes, recently.  Only Immigration has a problem with it, as it reduced agent-income.

Thais can sort out their own lives and don't actually need us here. 98% of the country is largely westerner-free, which proves that Thais are getting by just fine on their own.

And, if you have lived in many of those areas, as I have, you know that there is considerable poverty in many of them.  This situation is alleviated by those born in them being able to work in better-paying jobs, which are funded by foreigners.  That's why so many are found working in foreigner hot-spots - and why they HATED the "crack downs" on "too long tourists" more than anyone else.

They would not leave their families to work in those areas without a financial-incentive, and we are that incentive.  With the decline in factory-jobs, this is even more critical now.  Please stop discouraging foreigners from helping them by spending our money here, and turning a blind-eye to the corruption-abuse which drives many away.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

On 8/20/2024 at 2:13 PM, Rob Browder said:

Translation: "If you don't enjoy supporting corruption / graft, then you should not be here."   You are equating "not being able to afford a visa run" with happily being ripped-off by kleptocrats, as part of the package.

I assume you mean annual-extensions, rather than "visas" - where the choice is often "rigamarole" or "pay the agent."  Same, same.

Exapts fund jobs here with every foreign-currency spend they make - and pay VAT taxes, as well.  

As to employers and employees in Thailand, have you heard of the BOI?   I previously worked at a BOI company, where a significant portion of staff was foreigners with needed expertise in business-roles.

I would re-consider your anti-Thailand attitude - pushing for expats to leave and support Cambodia and Laos, instead, which would result in unemployment for multiple Thais per expat pushed away.  

The MFA understands this, which is why they have made changes, recently.  Only Immigration has a problem with it, as it reduced agent-income.

And, if you have lived in many of those areas, as I have, you know that there is considerable poverty in many of them.  This situation is alleviated by those born in them being able to work in better-paying jobs, which are funded by foreigners.  That's why so many are found working in foreigner hot-spots - and why they HATED the "crack downs" on "too long tourists" more than anyone else.

They would not leave their families to work in those areas without a financial-incentive, and we are that incentive.  With the decline in factory-jobs, this is even more critical now.  Please stop discouraging foreigners from helping them by spending our money here, and turning a blind-eye to the corruption-abuse which drives many away.

What are you babbling about?

Mae Sai is closed to foreigners. Once it reopens (if it ever does) I hope Myanmar stops the one day border runs and imposes a mandatory $50 evisa as the only option to enter the country just like all other countries do. It would ensure cheap Charlie's like you are forced to either accept it or go elsewhere.

My suggestion to move to Laos or Cambodia is because 1) they don't require visa runs and have a better immigration system and 2) they are great alternatives to Thailand in their own right.

I've worked in a BOI company and I was just one of like 3 foreigners in that huge organization, which is normal because even if you work for a BOI organization, it's preferable to hire Thais, not foreigners..you said it yourself that you believe foreigners who work here should be replaced by Thais (something I totally disagree with, but everyone can have their own opinion).

You're making up a bunch of nonsense.

Thais absolutely don't care about us farang. They absolutely don't care about what we have to go through to stay here and what it all comes down to is that those who work in tourism are happy to have anyone come, as long as they spend a lot and don't stay too long.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, FARANG KIWI said:

Not sure if I can post The Thaiger website ( or not )  >>  https://thethaiger.com/news/national/thai-myanmar-gates-reopen-after-sudden-closure

They are reporting Mae Sai border is open once again - for Westerners not sure???

This article has nothing to do with Mae Sai.  Nor does the article have anything to do with borders re-opening for foreigners.

On 8/23/2024 at 12:25 AM, Rob Browder said:

Not being grifted-upon.  Why did you use the word "babble"?  Can't make a point without an insult?

So, you hope more Thais cannot get decent jobs, by forcing more foreigners away to other countries.   I like Thais, so do not share your ill-will towards them, nor those who like living here. 

I am on annual extensions of stay, for years now, btw.  Much "cheaper" than Visa-Runs, so I guess that makes me a "bad person," in your view - living in some strange reality where throwing money around carelessly is a virtue.

On the contrary, they hope we stay as long as possible and keep spending. 

Rofl. No, you're an entitled farang who believes you're better than Thais who you believe are poor, and that your tiny pension is keeping the country afloat. 

Keep spending? 

Well, you're on a long term visa. No one is keeping you out.

Why then are you advocating that foreigners be allowed to abuse the tourist visa exemption scheme?

None of what you're blabbering on about makes any sense. You're making up a bunch of nonsense. 

Edited by Tomtomtom69