Blueberries (And Fairly Priced Strawberries?) Where ?

Pink7

On 9/23/2012 at 9:15 PM, CobraSnakeNecktie said:

mulberries are local and fairly affordable. Can get them at the health food store and keep an eye out for them at produce markets.

We use allot of mulberries. I prefer high quality mulberries every day of the week before low quality or crazy overpriced strawberries. Generally i like to focus on all the great i can find here locally  and not so much on what we use to have home.

Pink

On 9/23/2012 at 2:48 PM, JeffreyMcCollum said:

Both of those are out of season and import, thus expensive.

Rimping Market has nice fruit, but mostly imported and expensive.

Near the US Consulet and along the river north of there are local fuit market with local fruit but no strawberries or Blue berries at this time.

Villamart (BKK) does online delivery throughout Thailand.  I go to the Villamart (2 of them) in LadKrabang and the Tops in the Robinson Mall in the same general area - all have blue berries, cherries and strawberries all the time, but Villamart also usually has several other berries (raspberries, also has pomegranate,  and sometimes blackberries).  Their online has them but if you are ordering, not sure if they have them all the time.  Strawberries are usually imported fairly expensive from Korea.  Normally, I live in CM and Rim Ping always seems to have some berries and other fruits as does the Tops in the Central Mall and on weekends, the mall usually has some fruit sellers also in the basement.  Good luck.

On 9/23/2012 at 3:27 PM, KhunVee said:

If you don't mind frozen in bags,... then Makro has a good variety for OK prices but the quality is medium and just good enough for blending or sauce making.

Fresh fruit/vegetables that are not native to Thailand but grown in Thailand are in general of mediocre quality.

The Imported ones are overpriced (specially by those over-valued shops like Rimping or Tops) come on,.... 220,- THB for 16 Brussels Sprouts???? That's 2.200 THB per kilo,.... I can buy 8 Year old Parmegiano cheese for less

Many strawberry pick your own in Loei province when in season 

Saw fresh Blueberries in Makro about 2 weeks ago, crazy price 269bt.They have frozen ones cheaper but they are tiny and sour, only any good for cooking or blending in a drink.

Makro frozen strawberries at 99bt kg are OK for smoothies etc.

8 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Saw fresh Blueberries in Makro about 2 weeks ago, crazy price 269bt.They have frozen ones cheaper but they are tiny and sour, only any good for cooking or blending in a drink.

Makro frozen strawberries at 99bt kg are OK for smoothies etc.

Yeah, when I was searching for cheaper berries of all types, I tried some frozen from western countries and thought that they would be quality berries - especially since health experts said that the frozen fruits were great quality - but they mostly turn to mush when thawed.  Tried several different brands same result.  So, bottom line is what will they be used for  - making drinks probably okay but as mixed salads, topping yogurt, etc I am not so sure and wouldn't recommend them myself.  Best of luck.

• Thumbs Up 1

59 minutes ago, Presnock said:

Yeah, when I was searching for cheaper berries of all types, I tried some frozen from western countries and thought that they would be quality berries - especially since health experts said that the frozen fruits were great quality - but they mostly turn to mush when thawed.  Tried several different brands same result.  So, bottom line is what will they be used for  - making drinks probably okay but as mixed salads, topping yogurt, etc I am not so sure and wouldn't recommend them myself.  Best of luck.

Agreed, I use them in protein drinks, saves having to put ice, pop in frozen blend and its ice cold ! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Pink7 said:

We use allot of mulberries. I prefer high quality mulberries every day of the week before low quality or crazy overpriced strawberries. Generally i like to focus on all the great i can find here locally  and not so much on what we use to have home.

Pink

Take a ride out in the Mae sa area where there are some strawberry farms. I have bulk sun dried blueberries sent from the US or just load a few kgs on my annual visit to the US, fresh here are usually ridiculously priced, frozen is a simple no. 

Edited by novacova