Looking to buy a new SUV - any recommendations?

So ICEV registration down by ~25% y-y

And EV registrations down by ~15% y-y

BUT ... EVs increased market share by ~9%

That's a bit telling, both down, but EVs not as much, while increasing their market share.  Not too shabby at all, consider the alternative.

ICEV losing higher % of sales & market share, at the same time.

Ouch

On topic ... and something for the new buyers to consider, who hold them for long time, squeeze the value out of them.

In 5-10 yrs, what will be the demand for ICEV, IF the trend continues.  Might get stuck with an ICEV, that nobody wants.  And will petrol become an even more expensive 'niche' market for those still holding on to nostalgia :cheesy:

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Massively increased market share for EV's in 2024, a greater than 12% growth in percentage market share this year.

Over 33% growth in July 2024 alone over whole year 2023.

Number of EV's registered in July 2023 5055

Number of EV's registered in July 2024  5468

% growth  year on for July is  8.171% or an additional 413 vehicles

14 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Are you working for TAT don't know where you get your 33% from  and these figures are for the February 1st 2023 to 31st July 2023 and February 1st 2024 to 31st July 2024

I took them from your figures Vinny.

Going from 9.89% to 11.13% is a growth rate greater than 12%

Going from 9.89% to >13% in July is a growth rate greater than 33%

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JBChiangRai said:

3 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

2 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

We have to remember that the entire automarket is depressed this year so counting vehicles compared with last year is meaningless.  It's far more relevant to compare market share this year to last year to see what consumers are actually doing.

EV's are in a growth market with every month of the last 6 months showing an increasing market share.  It's very relevant to look at trends.

I wouldn't be surprised if the growth rate is up at 40 or 50% by the end of the year compared to last year.

I know you would prefer it not to be, but I'm afraid EV's are definitely becoming more and more consumer's choice.  Open your eyes (and your mind) Vinny, EV's are everywhere you look.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

We have to remember that the entire automarket is depressed this year so counting vehicles compared with last year is meaningless.  It's far more relevant to compare market share this year to last year to see what consumers are actually doing.

EV's are in a growth market with every month of the last 6 months showing an increasing market share.  It's very relevant to look at trends.

I wouldn't be surprised if the growth rate is up at 40 or 50% by the end of the year compared to last year.

I know you would prefer it not to be, but I'm afraid EV's are definitely becoming more and more consumer's choice.  Open your eyes (and your mind) Vinny, EV's are everywhere you look.

Last year the total EV sales for R,Y,1 were 86,075

so you reckon by the end of this year number of EV sales based on 50% growth will be 129,112 

currently EV sales for the past 6 month stands at 28,651 that means another 100,461 EV to be sold or 16,743 each month over the next 6 months

As of 31st July 2024 there is 44,716,614 vehicles registered in Thailand

of those 44 milion plus vehicles 12,060,533 R,Y,1 vehicles 

so i suspect looking for an EV is like looking for a needle in a haystack

Edited by vinny41
add

1 minute ago, vinny41 said:

so you reckon by the end of this year number of EV sales based on 50% growth will be 129,112 

currently EV sales for the past 6 month stands at 28,651 that means another 100,461 EV to be sold or 16,743 each month over the next 6 months

Hard to predict as ...

... having an economic slump

... many already bought in

... many are wait & see, how the price war plays out, and new models arrive for 2025.

If I was in the market, I'd wait for the next 'Auto Show' @ Krung Thep, for new models & deals.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

As of 31st July 2024 there is 44,716,614 vehicles registered in Thailand

of those 44 milion plus vehicles 12,060,533 R,Y,1 vehicles 

so i suspect looking for an EV is like looking for a needle in a haystack

ExpatOilWorker would say you're failing to understand maths.

What I am saying is that the percentage of EV's sold in December 2024 will show a 50% growth over the percentage sales of EV's in 2023 as a whole.

In other words (taking your 6 months figures) 9.89% uplifted by 50% would be 14.84% or higher.

I think we will be at a market share of around 15% by December.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

What I am saying is that the percentage of EV's sold in December 2024 will show a 50% growth over the percentage sales of EV's in 2023 as a whole.

In other words (taking your 6 months figures) 9.89% uplifted by 50% would be 14.84% or higher.

I think you living in cloud cuckoo land majority of EV manufacturers in Thailand have already downgraded their sales forecast figures for 2024  they are not expecting to sell as many EV as they did in 2023

Hence BYD and MG moving to hybrid's as they are expecting hybrid sales to increase over the next 6 months

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

2 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

I think you living in cloud cuckoo land majority of EV manufacturers in Thailand have already downgraded their sales forecast figures for 2024  they are not expecting to sell as many EV as they did in 2023

Hence BYD and MG moving to hybrid's as they are expecting hybrid sales to increase over the next 6 months

What you fail to realise is there are 2 scenarios where I am right, and one of them doesn't need to increase the physical number of EV's sold.

Do you get it now?

The market for EVs is growing exponentially, that's why they are cutting prices.  😜

The best way to cart it would be a few years of monthly, year-on-year percentage changes in sales that includes ICEVs, Hybrids, and pure EVs. 

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

The market for EVs is growing exponentially, that's why they are cutting prices.  😜

The best way to cart it would be a few years of monthly, year-on-year percentage changes in sales that includes ICEVs, Hybrids, and pure EVs. 

Not only EV's, reputable manufacturers like Suzuki and Mercedes too.

Perhaps the EV makers tried to rip us off with their first round of pricing and now they are being more reasonable?

It wouldn't be the first time any automaker had done that.

20 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

What you fail to realise is there are 2 scenarios where I am right, and one of them doesn't need to increase the physical number of EV's sold.

Do you get it now?

22 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Do you get it now?

Spouting Rubbish

so you reckon by the end of this year number of EV sales based on 50% growth will be 129,112 

you were spouting the same rubbish a few months ago

https://aseannow.com/topic/1320318-bye-bye-electric-hello-hydrogen/page/5/#comment-18710401

I don't believe that the number of ev's sold in 2024 will be more than the 80,075 sold in 2023 

I think the finally numbers forthe year ending  31st January 2025 will be between 60-70,000 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, JBChiangRai said:

Not only EV's, reputable manufacturers like Suzuki and Mercedes too.

Did you not see the emoji? You can say anything about sales that you want, but one thing is certain, when competition enters the market, consumers benefit. 

If there are twenty million consumers of automobiles, that is the size of the market. If you are selling into that market, your concern is not that more cars are sold, but what percentage of that market you control. 

Perhaps the EV makers tried to rip us off with their first round of pricing and now they are being more reasonable?

EVs pretty much took off post-covid, yes? A lot of pent-up demand, combined with a shortage of vehicles. You charge what the public will bear.

It wouldn't be the first time any automaker had done that.

In the US automakers do that every year when the new models come out. 

17 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

EV only Brands only can one option reduce pricing

Brands that build ICE/Hybrid/EV if the market is slowing down they reduce production for that car line and switch their production resources to another one

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

In 5-10 yrs, what will be the demand for ICEV, IF the trend continues.  Might get stuck with an ICEV, that nobody wants.  And will petrol become an even more expensive 'niche' market for those still holding on to nostalgia

More likely you will be stuck with an out of warranty EV that no-one wants, as technology will have moved on by then. Even a 1 year old performance seal is on one2car for 1 million baht. It's low 500K in a year. Ouch! But a rebuilt 1994 eg civic goes form 200-500K. No-one's  gonna be rebuilding an old EV. It's not in the Chinese philosophy - build, use, then throw away. 

• Confused 2

On 8/17/2024 at 10:53 AM, fezza said:

No, definitely don't want an EV.  

So Ford Everest or Mitsubishi Pajero?

I bought the top model Fortuna about 14 months ago. Beautiful car and, despite the comment above, very quiet. Nice to look at as well, a lot better look than the Ford and Pajero.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, DavisH said:

More likely you will be stuck with an out of warranty EV that no-one wants, as technology will have moved on by then. Even a 1 year old performance seal is on one2car for 1 million baht. It's low 500K in a year. Ouch! But a rebuilt 1994 eg civic goes form 200-500K. No-one's  gonna be rebuilding an old EV. It's not in the Chinese philosophy - build, use, then throw away. 

Irrelevant, as keeping out MG ZS till it dies, and long after I die.   Wife will keep till she dies, as no way will she be racking up the ksm in the 500k to 1M range, when I'm gone.

If the rest of the car can't keep up with the motors & battery, she gets 50kWh of battery for the Solar system.   At 50%, capacity, it's better the the value of a 20 yr old ICEV :cheesy:

We would have saved the price of a car, instead of spending the price of a car, just tO operate & maintain some dinosaur POS ICEV.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

Do you get it now?

32 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Spouting Rubbish

so you reckon by the end of this year number of EV sales based on 50% growth will be 129,112 

you were spouting the same rubbish a few months ago

https://aseannow.com/topic/1320318-bye-bye-electric-hello-hydrogen/page/5/#comment-18710401

I don't believe that the number of ev's sold in 2024 will be more than the 80,075 sold in 2023 

I think the finally numbers forthe year ending  31st January 2025 will be between 60-70,000 

Let me explain the maths to you.

For example and this is only an example, let's go with 5,600 EV's sold in December 2024 this year.  If the number of total cars sold is only 37,000 (31,400 ICE) then I would have achieved that 50% growth.

Here's another example and this is only an example, let's go with 7,280 EV's sold in December 2024 this year.  If the number of total cars sold is only 48,100 (40,820 ICE) then I would have achieved that 50% growth.

Edited by JBChiangRai
correct numbers

On 8/17/2024 at 11:00 AM, fezza said:

I was looking at the Honda CR-V e-HEV RS 4WD.

Any other suggestions?  

Yes, if you are looking for something a bit smaller than the Everest, Fortuna, etc, Have a look at the Toyota Corolla (called Yaris here I believe) Cross HEV. My wife just bought one and it is superb, no kidding.

9 minutes ago, Lazybones said:

Yes, if you are looking for something a bit smaller than the Everest, Fortuna, etc, Have a look at the Toyota Corolla (called Yaris here I believe) Cross HEV. My wife just bought one and it is superb, no kidding.

Actually there is a Corolla Cross, & Yaris Cross. and a bit pricey IMHO, for what you're getting.  Compare specs with comparable vehicles from CH, and I think you'll agree.

image.png.7070b3f23bb3718b32fa75eeaa565f0d.png

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Actually there is a Corolla Cross, & Yaris Cross. and a bit pricey IMHO, for what you're getting.  Compare specs with comparable vehicles from CH, and I think you'll agree.

Same with watches 

27 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Let me explain the maths to you.

For example and this is only an example, let's go with 5,600 EV's sold in December 2024 this year.  If the number of total cars sold is only 37,000 (31,400 ICE) then I would have achieved that 50% growth.

Here's another example and this is only an example, let's go with 7,280 EV's sold in December 2024 this year.  If the number of total cars sold is only 48,100 (40,820 ICE) then I would have achieved that 50% growth.

Majority of  people understanding of growth is your bank is offering 50% growth on savings over 1 year so you place example B100k into a bank account and at the end of the year back gives you back B150,000  50% growth on your inital deposit

Likewise total EV sales for R,Y,1 were 86,075 fot 2023 50% growth on that figure for 2024 would be total number of sales of 129,112 vehicles or an increase of 43,037

simple take 86,075 +50% equals 129,112

On 8/17/2024 at 5:00 AM, fezza said:

I was looking at the Honda CR-V e-HEV RS 4WD.

Any other suggestions?  

Honda CRV (hybrid best opt) is far more sophisticated than the Fortuner, Everest type which are based on pickup underpinnings. With proper IRS you'll get a far better ride. Decent suspension system makes all the difference. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Thanks for the clarification. Yes we did get the Yaris Cross. The misses won't let me drive it. It truly is a beautiful vehicle. I didn't see the Corolla option when we got this but I know it available in Australia.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Majority of  people understanding of growth is your bank is offering 50% growth on savings over 1 year so you place example B100k into a bank account and at the end of the year back gives you back B150,000  50% growth on your inital deposit

If last year your bank only offered 10% growth, then this year the 50% interest rate would be a growth of 400% of interest rates.

41 minutes ago, Lazybones said:

Thanks for the clarification. Yes we did get the Yaris Cross. The misses won't let me drive it. It truly is a beautiful vehicle. I didn't see the Corolla option when we got this but I know it available in Australia.

I've complimented the look of the Corolla Cross on the forum quite often.  As see a lot of them when O&A.  Is quite the nice looking ride 👍

We have a Toyota Corolla Cross Hybrid, 5 passenger that is a great car. Excellent fuel economy, nice ride, good acceleration to get onto the motorway, comfortable seats. 
Excellent service at Toyota Phetchaburi. Highly recommended. 

Edited by TucsonDavid
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Month Total registrations Total ICE excluding EV EV Year  
July 45561 40506 5055 2023  
June 57616 50014 7602 2023  
May 58054 52497 5557 2023  
April 47787 43967 3820 2023  
March 66061 59857 6204 2023  
February 65056 59654 5402 2023  
Totals 340135 306495 33640 2023 9.89%

July 40817 35349 5468 2024  
June 43147 37490 5657 2024  
May 43196 37926 5270 2024  
April 38022 34015 4007 2024  
March 45315 40595 4720 2024  
February 47063 43534 3529 2024  
Totals 257560 228909 28651 2024 11.13%

Thanks for this. So EV sales are down 12% while ICEV sales are down 25% for the same period. What this tells me is that:

1) auto sales are down (duh)

2) ICEV sales are down (as a percentage of cars sold) more than EVs 

3) EVs are slowly but surely becoming more popular than ICEVs

4) it will take a while before EVs outsell ICEVs but the trend is there. It used to be that x number of people out of 100 would buy an EV but the figure now is a number greater than x. Assuming that this trend continues, the day will come whereby x will be equal to or greater than 50. 
5) of course, even than, there will be more ICEVs otr (on the road) but as time goes on, the number of EVs otr will eventually overtake the number of ICEVs. 

In China, the number of pure EVs sold are getting very close to 50% of all sales. If I’m not mistaken, the number of EVs plus PHEVs already exceeds 50%. I look forward to the day that the foul smelling toxic fumes of a diesel engine are but a memory.