How many of these school dinners do you remember? What was Yr fav ?

5 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Boredom ... how many times do you need to repeat the same history, English, math, physics, geography.   

How often am I going to use Latin or Spanish.

Never considered myself more intelligent than anyone, but other students would take note, study at home, and do no better on tests than I did, by simply sitting there and paying attention when they covered something new.

Most teachers go over what's going to be on a major test, the day before.  Pay attention, and they basically gave you all the answers to the test.

One teacher would tell me, you need to be here, this day, as test the next day :cheesy:  That was Spanish, which I didn't even need to be there before the test, as already had 2 yrs of Latin.   More about conjugation of verbs (had in Latin) & such, and obviously less about vocabulary memory.  

I was actually surprised the lack of memory most student exhibited.   Really ... 1776, 1787/88/89, how do you forget that.  We live in Philly FFS.  Can't remember a simple Algebra formula.   Refresher after refresher after refresher ...

3C6j.gif

Are you sure that you were not one of the first in Philly to practice LYING FLAT?

image.png.7d1b7d52a2f2a9e8cc1b5bdbbd19e263.png

Only recognise a few of those puddings. Not a great variety at our school. Remember the prunes ... used to hate them, but then realised that as lots of other people didn't like them i could have theirs as well! Same for the boiled cabbage. Strangely enough, cannot remember the meat dishes at all, must have been very unmemorable.

On 8/18/2024 at 8:16 PM, simon43 said:

One of my earliest memories (nightmares), is being forced to eat swede at kindergarten.....  I still can't look at a swede without getting the shudders, (but Frankfurters and other Germans don't have the same effect!).

I am not sure that we have a common understanding of swedes / turnips.  Turnip (as in “haggis”) is a large, round, purple-skinned vegetable that takes a lot of softening during cooking, and gives you wrists LIKE THAT if you try and carve a turnip lantern. swedes are skinny purple white-fleshed root vegetables that are too small to carve to a lantern.  I understand that some English people have the opposite understanding.

On 8/18/2024 at 8:16 PM, simon43 said:

One of my earliest memories (nightmares), is being forced to eat swede at kindergarten.....  I still can't look at a swede without getting the shudders, (but Frankfurters and other Germans don't have the same effect!).

Yeah, Germany is lucky they only have 2 cities Frankfurt and Hamburg.

If you can imagine a traditional slopping canteen, where you take your tray past a rank of surly and uncommunicative servers who slop food onto your plate in successive stages, according to how you offer it…

There are no labels, because it is all familiar food…

” … slop … Are you sure you want gravy on your chocolate sponge?”

”Maybe you could’ve asked that ‘… chocolate sponge?’ …. slop” I can’t remember if I ate the chocolate sponge cake with beef gravy, and I’m not sure how well I remember the learning oppurtunity

4 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

If you can imagine a traditional slopping canteen, where you take your tray past a rank of surly and uncommunicative servers who slop food onto your plate in successive stages, according to how you offer it…

There are no labels, because it is all familiar food…

” … slop … Are you sure you want gravy on your chocolate sponge?”

”Maybe you could’ve asked that ‘… chocolate sponge?’ …. slop” I can’t remember if I ate the chocolate sponge cake with beef gravy, and I’m not sure how well I remember the learning oppurtunity

To paraphrase Zelda Fitzgerald:

"She refused to eat slop chiefly because she wasn't sloppy."

image.png.057bc691451b61a4b8bcb2b047461a9a.png

With my science hat on, many foods that we hated as kids are now palatable for us as adults.  That's because humans have about 10,000 taste buds when kids, but this number diminished with age, and therefore so does our sense of taste. 

We're still doing better than cats (about 500 taste buds), but much worst than catfish (about 100,000 taste buds).