U.S. man loses $740,000 in retirement savings to scammers impersonating regulators, feds

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

It boggles the mind, to consider the number of people who fall for these scams. Someone calls you, or contacts you online, and you send them money? Someone you have never met? Someone you have not researched? What gives? Where are the survival instincts? 

There is a whole subculture in this world, who absolutely refuse to work for a living, and instead like to prey on those who are vulnerable, naive, dumb, and easy victims. It is our responsibility to be careful, prudent, willing to do some vetting, some research, some due diligence, anytime we part with cash.

Well,   apparently I had a wealthy distant relative living in Africa,  and they just died recently and left me an inheritance of US$50,000,000  fifty million US dollars. 

I really didn't know I had any relatives in Africa,  but the emails say's I did .....  

The problem is they want me to send $2,000 to get the money released into my account.  

I don't know what to do ....   

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Well,   apparently I had a wealthy distant relative living in Africa,  and they just died recently and left me an inheritance of US$50,000,000  fifty million US dollars. 

I really didn't know I had any relatives in Africa,  but the emails say's I did .....  

The problem is they want me to send $2,000 to get the money released into my account.  

I don't know what to do ....   

Yeah, I get offered about $100 million dollars a month, it's incredible how generous some people can be. 

Every once in awhile I just play along just to see what the scam will be. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, save the frogs said:

I dont doubt such scams exist, but do people really leave 750K sitting in a bank account?

Most people have most of their money in investments that cannot be touched.

So dont believe this story. 

I bet you havnt even bothered to read the full article before your rather stupid comment. Typical aseannow poster.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

In a list I saw today, Thailand is also a country that scammers target more than many other countries. I can understand it as well because all this "go digital" requires very good security measures and follow up procedures if a scam is suspected. Unfortunately Thailand does not appear to have either of these in place. Maybe I am wrong on this but having reported a scammer to a bank and nothing was done about it, it can believe it.

20 hours ago, BobBKK said:

He was a lawyer?  jeeze 

Yes, I think he is very  naive and at his age one would expect more wisdom , unless his mental faculties are diminished 

On 8/20/2024 at 8:38 AM, statman78 said:

Don’t know if it was part of a scam but yesterday I received a call on my Thai phone that started with +697.  I didn’t answer but after doing a little research according to the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission of Thailand, +697 indicates a voice call over internet protocol from overseas.  Their recommendation is to avoid calls beginning with +697 or +698.

I bought something from Amazon yesterday and i received a call from my UK bank to verify the credit card purchase. It came in on a +697 number.