Swiss man paws for thought after dog bites on Thai beach (video)

16 minutes ago, bob smith said:

I for one am sick to the back teeth of these stray dogs roaming around Thailand thinking they own the joint!

They are dangerous, carry diseases and cause problems for drivers when they don't move out of the way.

It's time they were rounded up and castrated.

bob.

Unusually for you Bob, being so prolific in your typing .. I think you misspelt the word “dogs”.. doesn’t it begin with an F and end with …angs…? 😁🤣

Edited by bosun
Spelling error
  • Confused 1

55 minutes ago, tandor said:

2.  Seek immediate medical attention including Rabies vaccine (3 shots).

I have been through this twice already. It has every time been a cycle of 5 shots in getting longer intervals. If you have accident insurance they will pay for it. About 25 years ago I lost a friend in Bangkok to rabies, not a nice way to die. 😢

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Good - Dogs should not be free to roam the beaches and any area's where people are relaxing, running & where children are playing. 

A complete lack of accountability means so few take the responsibility to adequately train and restrain their dogs and the public are placed at risk. 

Dogs should either be owned and collared, owners fully accountable with firm fines if they are not, or removed (and yes, destroyed).

Simple solution here - remove the dogs and fine the owner. 

That wont be popular as 'dog lovers' will always claim its not the dogs fault and I'd agree. 

Nevertheless, there is no 'nice simple, clean, pretty solution' someone will have to make the decisions and carry out the actions many are to weak to consider, particularly when it come to strays in public areas.

Well said Richard.

41 minutes ago, paulikens said:

So, true.  Thais just never complain because they don't like confrontation and foreigners who do complain are seen as having a bad temper.  go figure!

Have you been talking with My Wife........:biggrin:

10 hours ago, neverere said:

Where do you suggest the dogs are 'removed' to? Also Thailand does, as a rule, not destroy dogs. 

To the owners house and if they leave it on a leash, I have 2 dogs both rescued from road sides(both spayed females) one is a Bang Kaew(which the Thais are scared of) and the other a mix, we walk them locally every second day both on leashes, we do limit where we walk them because of stray dogs. I have never walked dogs near people off a leash, its not difficult and if it is keep them at home.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

In India they have an organisation called Blue Cross which looks after stray dogs and has mobile vans that neuter them. This seems like a solution that helps to keep the problem under control.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Good - Dogs should not be free to roam the beaches and any area's where people are relaxing, running & where children are playing. 

A complete lack of accountability means so few take the responsibility to adequately train and restrain their dogs and the public are placed at risk. 

Dogs should either be owned and collared, owners fully accountable with firm fines if they are not, or removed (and yes, destroyed).

Simple solution here - remove the dogs and fine the owner. 

That wont be popular as 'dog lovers' will always claim its not the dogs fault and I'd agree. 

Nevertheless, there is no 'nice simple, clean, pretty solution' someone will have to make the decisions and carry out the actions many are to weak to consider, particularly when it come to strays in public areas.

According to the report they are not strays. the owner is a foreigner who ALLOWS the dogs to run free. As for strays....how do you think strays become strays? Maybe instead of destroying the dogs, we should consider placing the owners behind bars for a few years, maybe 5 minimum, so as to get them to take more responsibility for their dogs actions. Just a thought. A least they haven't gone the stupid UK way of destroying an entire breed because of the actions of a few owners. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Lopburikid said:

According to the report they are not strays. the owner is a foreigner who ALLOWS the dogs to run free. As for strays....how do you think strays become strays? Maybe instead of destroying the dogs, we should consider placing the owners behind bars for a few years, maybe 5 minimum, so as to get them to take more responsibility for their dogs actions. Just a thought. A least they haven't gone the stupid UK way of destroying an entire breed because of the actions of a few owners. 

Agree....totally irresponsible.

I am a dog owner and would never let mine off the lead where there are people.

I wouldn't allow anyone to pet him either.

No dog can always be trusted.

• Agree 1

When dogs repeatedly bite people, they should be put down. Plain and simple. If the owner refuses to control them and keep them on leashes, they are a hazard and a danger. Dogs that cannot be controlled should never be put above the safety of people. Period. Take them out. 

• Agree 2

37 minutes ago, BillyBloggs said:

To the owners house and if they leave it on a leash, I have 2 dogs both rescued from road sides(both spayed females) one is a Bang Kaew(which the Thais are scared of) and the other a mix, we walk them locally every second day both on leashes, we do limit where we walk them because of stray dogs. I have never walked dogs near people off a leash, its not difficult and if it is keep them at home.

I have the same as you, she is always on a lead, and yes, Thais are wary of her, but she is as soft as ice-cream. She never barks at anyone and certainly never tries to bite , she sleeps at the foot of our bed, and mostly she loves sitting near the gate, just looking out at what is going on in the world. It is how the dog is treated by the owner, dogs understand RULES if you teach them those rules.. Unlike people!

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, neverere said:

Where do you suggest the dogs are 'removed' to? Also Thailand does, as a rule, not destroy dogs. 

Cambodia? Vietnam?

Why not? Surely these pests are spoiling the image of "Now More Amazing Thailand"?

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, neverere said:

To the big kennel in the sky where they will be reincarnated. Come back as what? I can think of many things.😉

Just now, sambum said:

"Swiss man paws for thought after dog bites on Thai beach (video)"

What a vomit inducing headline! - who passes these for publication?

Sounds like the tail is wagging the dog when it comes to these shaggy dog stories.

I have a wet nose for things like this.....I can sniff them out.