Thailand-Malaysia Rail Partnership Grows: Bangkok-Penang Route Approved

The train would go through my city nakhon pathom, the station being only 5 minutes from my home.

But the thought of hours on a train is mind boggling.

I'd rather drive 90 minutes into Bangkok and fly.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

a new rail route connecting Bangkok to Penang

initiate a train service from Bangkok’s Bang Sue Grand Terminal to Penang

This "new" route being "initiated" by this committee of rail masterminds ran in various forms from 1922 until its cancellation in 2016. Why the insistence on pretending that this is a revolutionary new idea that no one had ever thought of before? 

There’s also mention of the successful ASEAN Express service from Malaysia through Thailand to China, which plans to double its frequency from once to twice weekly.

I'm not aware of any such train existing, at any frequency, particularly since there is no actual rail link between the Bangkok - Vientiane line and the Vientiane - Kunming line.

• Agree 1

50 minutes ago, cnx101 said:

There’s been a train from Bangkok to Butterworth all 33 years I was there used to use it to do visa runs, it was very convenient.

Came to an end I think in 2016 when the Malaysian side was electrified. Word at the time was the diesel trains couldn't use the same line,  nothing has changed in that respect.

I have to assume that rather than getting off at immigration and back on the same train, they are proposing you get back on a Malaysian train.

1 hour ago, Stocky said:

The journey from Butterworth to Bangkok will be about 16hrs, train I presume will be an extension of the current overnight express sleeper, so not much sight seeing, easier to take a flight.

Think it was about 24 hours when I went down to Butterworth on the train.

Travel options are all about individual perspective, I  don't have a problem travelling by train.

In Feb 2020 I did a border bounce from Chonburi to Pedang Besar by train, In Malaysia for about 4 hours then back on the train, no big deal.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

There’s also mention of the successful ASEAN Express service from Malaysia through Thailand to China, which plans to double its frequency from once to twice weekly.

Please excuse my ignorance, but I am sure there is no weekly service from Malaysia through Thailand to China!

Malaysia to Bangkok (metre gauge) - yes!  Bangkok to Vientiane (metre gauge) - yes! Vientiane to China (standard gauge with HST electric trains) - yes!

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Please excuse my ignorance, but I am sure there is no weekly service from Malaysia through Thailand to China!

Malaysia to Bangkok (metre gauge) - yes!  Bangkok to Vientiane (metre gauge) - yes! Vientiane to China (standard gauge with HST electric trains) - yes!

It's a freight service that they are trialling . Takes ten days and is designed to compete with sea freight

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/new-freight-train-service-between-selangor-and-yunnan-set-to-spur-malaysia-china-trade

• Thanks 2

Nothing new I used to do my Visa runs from the old station in BKK to Butterworth 33 years ago and you could drink in the top end of the train back then.

6 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

It’s not a new route, I’ve done more times than I could count

You have never gone to Butterworth from Krung Thep Aphiwat central terminal.

The Special Express No 35 that was axed run from Hua Lamphong to Butterworth.

The Malaysian side may be faster now it is electrified but you need a lot more time at Bang Sue, absolutely huge.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, sandyf said:

You have never gone to Butterworth from Krung Thep Aphiwat central terminal.

The Special Express No 35 that was axed run from Hua Lamphong to Butterworth.

The Malaysian side may be faster now it is electrified but you need a lot more time at Bang Sue, absolutely huge.

Obviously.

19 hours ago, Spilornis said:

It's a freight service that they are trialling . Takes ten days and is designed to compete with sea freight

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/new-freight-train-service-between-selangor-and-yunnan-set-to-spur-malaysia-china-trade

Do you have any idea how that service actually works? Is part of it done by truck? The new Chinese railroad through Laos isn't connected to the SRT rails, and uses a different gauge as well. Even the writers of that article don't seem to know the specifics of the route.

21 hours ago, khunjeff said:

This "new" route being "initiated" by this committee of rail masterminds ran in various forms from 1922 until its cancellation in 2016. Why the insistence on pretending that this is a revolutionary new idea that no one had ever thought of before? 

I'm not aware of any such train existing, at any frequency, particularly since there is no actual rail link between the Bangkok - Vientiane line and the Vientiane - Kunming line.

I must have imagined the train I took from Bkk to Butterworth years ago then.

The track was a lot better on the Malay side of the border, but the idea that this is a "new" service is a nonsense.

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, hotchilli said:

The train would go through my city nakhon pathom, the station being only 5 minutes from my home.

But the thought of hours on a train is mind boggling.

I'd rather drive 90 minutes into Bangkok and fly.

That's you. I enjoyed every trip I did on the train in LOS. Much preferred to flying.

21 hours ago, Stocky said:

The journey from Butterworth to Bangkok will be about 16hrs, train I presume will be an extension of the current overnight express sleeper, so not much sight seeing, easier to take a flight.

I wasn't aware that it was dark in that part of the world for 16 hours.

Why is it easier to fly with all the <deleted> security checks and airport hassles? Train was an enjoyable experience, unlike flying.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I wasn't aware that it was dark in that part of the world for 16 hours.

Why is it easier to fly with all the <deleted> security checks and airport hassles? Train was an enjoyable experience, unlike flying.

I should have said the greater proportion of the journey will be in the dark. 

As for flying versus the train, that's a matter of personal preference, I prefer to fly. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That's you. I enjoyed every trip I did on the train in LOS. Much preferred to flying.

Through to Penang, or just a part journey?

17 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Through to Penang, or just a part journey?

I went from Bkk to Butterworth and back on the train. Loved the trip. Loved the decrepit restaurant car, loved feeling the carriage lurching on the old style bolted track, loved going to sleep and waking up now and then and looking out at sleeping towns as we passed through, waking up in the morning after the sun barely up and seeing the passing scenery, and eating the restaurant breakfast at my seat.

It was all far more adventurous that sitting in a tin can for a few hours and having the security hassle.

The only thing I didn't love about train travel in LOS was the toilet experience in a lurching carriage.

Most of my many train trips were from Bkk to Surat Thani, but also Bkk to Chiang Mai. Every one an adventure, and usually with an agreeable companion to snuggle up with in a lower bunk.

I did one trip from Pattaya to the eastern end- think it cost 20 baht.

The sprinter was a good way to see country scenery, as went in daylight, but not as enjoyable as the sleeper.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Stocky said:

I should have said the greater proportion of the journey will be in the dark. 

As for flying versus the train, that's a matter of personal preference, I prefer to fly. 

Fair enough, but I went to Thailand to experience Thai life, and flying isn't. Sitting in a tin can for hours is the same wherever in the world one does it.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I went from Bkk to Butterworth and back on the train. Loved the trip. Loved the decrepit restaurant car, loved feeling the carriage lurching on the old style bolted track, loved going to sleep and waking up now and then and looking out at sleeping towns as we passed through, waking up in the morning after the sun barely up and seeing the passing scenery, and eating the restaurant breakfast at my seat.

It was all far more adventurous that sitting in a tin can for a few hours and having the security hassle.

The only thing I didn't love about train travel in LOS was the toilet experience in a lurching carriage.

Most of my many train trips were from Bkk to Surat Thani, but also Bkk to Chiang Mai. Every one an adventure, and usually with an agreeable companion to snuggle up with in a lower bunk.

I did one trip from Pattaya to the eastern end- think it cost 20 baht.

The sprinter was a good way to see country scenery, as went in daylight, but not as enjoyable as the sleeper.

I have done the 3 hour trip from Nakhon Pathom to Hua Hin many times for short breaks.

That's as you say on the old style train. lurching all over the place, stopping at most stations to drop-off or pick-up passengers.

Not food car but vendors get on and off at most stations selling their wares.

No air-con just an open window and the ceiling fans, as you say, having the time to look at the passing scenery.

Maybe I should look at a trip further south.

• Thumbs Up 1

Those Malaysian dudes like to get their oats in Thailand, they will use the new trains for sure. I can't see them going to far beyond the border towns, not when there's rumpy pumpy to be had 24/7 there.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1