Data plan for visit to UK

jor

I am visiting UK for 2-3 weeks next month for the first time in many years and will need mobile data for Internet surfing and navigation.

On previous visits I used to buy an unlimited data SIM from the 3 network for £20 for a month, but this is no longer available.

AIS will sell 12GB data plan for a month for B1,750 which seems expensive for a limited amount of data.

I know there are independent companies which sell data plans but Googling 'UK data plans' just brings up EU roaming plans which I don't need.  I know about Airalo but my phone does not have eSIM capability.

Can somebody help with the names of these companies?

Thanks.

9 minutes ago, dayo202 said:

I just returned from the UK, I brought a 30 day data package with Giffgaff.

The internet was bloody useless very very slow even in the city's.

I used o have a Lebara sim but took my eye off the ball and lost the number. A friends suggested GiffGaff and I have been with them about 5 years now and not a problem. You only have to use it once in 6 months, as opposed to 3 with lebara, to keep the sim active.

Been to the UK about 8 times since then, usually get the £15 package and never noticed anything untoward. They are all 30 days, just different allowances and conditions.

When my wife goes I get her a new sim with a £10 package, she gets £5 credit on the sim and I get £5 cashback.  Not all bad.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, jor said:

I am visiting UK for 2-3 weeks next month for the first time in many years and will need mobile data for Internet surfing and navigation.

On previous visits I used to buy an unlimited data SIM from the 3 network for £20 for a month, but this is no longer available.

AIS will sell 12GB data plan for a month for B1,750 which seems expensive for a limited amount of data.

I know there are independent companies which sell data plans but Googling 'UK data plans' just brings up EU roaming plans which I don't need.  I know about Airalo but my phone does not have eSIM capability.

Thanks.

Do you have people in the U.K who can receive a SIM for you or are you travelling independently?

If you actually need Unlimited, Smarty on the '3' network have unlimited for £20. But you need to have the SIM delivered somewhere. 

https://smarty.co.uk/all-plans#classic

4 hours ago, jor said:

Thanks.

3(UK) do still have an Unlimited data SIM on a one month contract, but it's £31. I guess you need to cancel the contract as soon as the SIM is activated.

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Giffgaff works for me, they'll even post a SIM to Thailand for you, if you ask on their website.

Takes about 10 days to arrive.

Giff Gaff for sure.

4 minutes ago, NowNow said:

GiffGaff £35 for a One month rolling plan No Unlimited on PAYG. PAYG £35 for 150GB

I pay £6/month and have never used anywhere near all the data.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, a3tsw said:

whilst in the UK I use Smarty , very cheap and very flexible , can pick the card up from almost anywhere , eg Tesco , Argos , Iceland etc.  https://smarty.co.uk/pay-as-you-go

Already posted earlier, but the information with regard to being able to grab one from Tesco etc might do it for the OP. £20 and unlimited fits the bill perfectly. OP can perhaps check 3(UK) coverage at his intended location.

12 hours ago, NowNow said:

GiffGaff £35 for a One month rolling plan No Unlimited on PAYG. PAYG £35 for 150GB

That's utterly pointless. £35 is about 1,570 baht. AIS will give you 30 days unlimited data roaming for 1,599 baht and you get to keep your usual number, all your apps logged in to your usual account etc. To save 29 baht why bother with all the hassle of changing SIMs?

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, josephbloggs said:

That's utterly pointless. £35 is about 1,570 baht. AIS will give you 30 days unlimited data roaming for 1,599 baht and you get to keep your usual number, all your apps logged in to your usual account etc. To save 29 baht why bother with all the hassle of changing SIMs?

I didn't recommend GiffGaff. Quote the people who did.

17 hours ago, jor said:

Thanks.

AIS is unlimited data, it is not limited to 12gb - not sure where you got that from. 30 days for 1,599 baht. You get 15gb at maximum speeds available, after that you still have unlimited data but the speed is capped. I was in the UK recently and used that plan and didn't come close to hitting the 15gb max speed limit - you would need to be streaming video content all the time to do that. I was using it care free, browsing the net, calling, using Google maps etc and didn't come close to hitting the 15gb speed limit.

You said you will be there 2-3 weeks. You can always start with a 15 day plan for 949 baht (8gb at max speed, then still unlimited but speed capped), then if you want to do another seven days it is 499 baht, just apply on the app. 

For a possible small saving why bother faffing around changing SIMs, then having to re-login to all your apps like WhatsApp etc. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, NowNow said:

I didn't recommend GiffGaff. Quote the people who did.

To be fair your post was very difficult to understand, don't get your knickers in a twist. 

"GiffGaff £35 for a One month rolling plan No Unlimited on PAYG. PAYG £35 for 150GB"

5 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

To be fair your post was very difficult to understand, don't get your knickers in a twist. 

"GiffGaff £35 for a One month rolling plan No Unlimited on PAYG. PAYG £35 for 150GB"

My knickers aren't twisted, but it seems that yours are, since you found my post "very difficult to understand". 

I'm not the one who is confused. I suggested Smarty at £20 for Unlimited data. Too confusing for you? No? Good then let's move on. Two other people suggested GiffGaff and another stated that his experience with GiffGaff was not great. I quoted one of them to make clear that GiffGaff does not have Unlimited and it's £35 for 150GB. Clear now? Not really that confusing if you actually take the time to see what has gone before. Your bad, not mine.

I don't wear underwear.

• Confused 2

5 minutes ago, sandyf said:

The height of arrogance to think that you know better than I do what my needs are.

What I do know is that you totally misunderstood that statement. 

Go back and look at the thread. I was replying to a post that stated that they pay £6 a month and rarely use all the data. But you, in your first post stated that you wanted Unlimited(and if you didn't notice, I was the first one to actually link to something that fulfilled your criteria {Unlimited data for £20}). So I replied to the person that suggested that they don't use even their £6 worth of data, that they should talk to you about it, not me.  

Understand now? Instead of thanking me for my support, you attack me. What kind of person are you? Will you apologise?

13 hours ago, Will B Good said:

I pay £6/month and have never used anywhere near all the data.

It all depends on what your circumstances are. I only go for a month so get the PAYG.  I move around quite a bit and have found that the wifi in some accommodation is not good enough to watch Kodi so i buy the 30GB to cover what may be necessary, bit like a first aid kit.

• Thumbs Up 1

50 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

AIS is unlimited data, it is not limited to 12gb - not sure where you got that from. 30 days for 1,599 baht. You get 15gb at maximum speeds available, after that you still have unlimited data but the speed is capped. I was in the UK recently and used that plan and didn't come close to hitting the 15gb max speed limit - you would need to be streaming video content all the time to do that. I was using it care free, browsing the net, calling, using Google maps etc and didn't come close to hitting the 15gb speed limit.

You said you will be there 2-3 weeks. You can always start with a 15 day plan for 949 baht (8gb at max speed, then still unlimited but speed capped), then if you want to do another seven days it is 499 baht, just apply on the app. 

For a possible small saving why bother faffing around changing SIMs, then having to re-login to all your apps like WhatsApp etc. 

You don't ever have to re-login to WhatsApp etc if you change your SIM. Wherever did you get that from?

Just now, josephbloggs said:

Welcome to Asean Now where even the most innocuous post asking for recommendations on data plans descends in to mindless, pointless bickering. 

This site is slowly dying.

But was it me that started any argument? You misunderstood my post and started an argument about it.

@sandyf misunderstood another post and started arguing with me too.

Take a look at my posts. Totally helpful and detailed. You people are just looking for an argument.

10 minutes ago, NowNow said:

@sandyf misunderstood another post and started arguing with me too.

Take a look at my posts. Totally helpful and detailed. You people are just looking for an argument.

Indeed, look at your posts, complete opposite of helpful.

Won't hold my breath on an apology.

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

Indeed, look at your posts, complete opposite of helpful.

Won't hold my breath on an apology.

My suggestion fit the OP's criteria perfectly. What have you achieved on this thread? I can tell you. Nothing. 

OP wanted Unlimited. Did you post anything to that effect?

Hi,

This is the OP.

Thanks to everybody for the replies and the advice.  Too many to respond to individually, but here is my current situation:

I looked on the Giffgaff site but couldn't see any reference to UK (or Great Britain or England etc.) so gave up.

However, a few days after posting my enquiry, my elderly phone died so have bought a replacement.

The new phone has eSIM so Airalo seems a good alternative especially as it doesn't require a SIM to be posted.

josephbloggs, I got the idea that the AIS plan is capped to 12GB from their website.  If this is not the case, then I will check with their local store as it is the easiest solution.  I will use only for email checking/news/gps navigation but wasn't sure that 12GB would be enough.  I will have a lot to do on this trip so don't want any unnecessary hassle.

Again, thanks to all who responded.

Jor