First time getting scrutinised at Don Mueang Immigration as APEC CARD holder

Occupation: International Sales Enginner in a Malaysian Company

Purpose of Visit Thailand:  Business Meeting and Machine Training with VIP customer  (meet once a week and 2 hours per time) 

Other than meeting the customer, I usually stay in my rented aparment.

I have been living in Thailand like this for the past 300 days because rental is cheaper than flying every week. Occasionaly , I went back to my home country malaysia before 90 day visa expires. No border run no overstay of course.

I showed the IO my product, customer details and google timelie of how I spent my time in Thailand.

IO eventually let me in  without telling me what  the correct visa is for my kind of situation,

I am a bit worried whether I can get in next time with my APEC Card.

Edited by Leslie Yew
  • Confused 1

23 hours ago, Leslie Yew said:

I showed the IO my product, customer details and google timelie of how I spent my time in Thailand.

Hello Leslie Yew,

I encountered a 'similar' situation earlier this year.  I was being recruited for a job here and the company was interested in contracting a person already living here, because "they would already have the necessary Visa to work".  As I explained to the recruiter I was able to work on my Non-O marriage visa, but that I would have to apply for a work permit and the company would need to support me with the necessary documents.  This totally confused them and they eventually hired a Thai person.

The GM is a Malaysian who's married to a Thai.  I suspect (purely conjecture) that he comes in for a week or two or maybe in months on a Non-O marriage or even a tourist visa (or Visa Exempt. I don't know the requirements for the ASEAN entries) and has never gotten a work permit.  In your case, I think you should be using on a Non-B and if you're actually teaching/training, you might need a work permit.

I'm no expert, and the IO at the airport obviously wasn't either.  I hope you've gotten the advise you need from some of our other members.

Good Luck.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

I think you should be using on a Non-B and if you're actually teaching/training, you might need a work permit.

It's known as the APEC 'business' card for a reason, and allows for such as market research, meetings, training as the OP described, and other business activities.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2024 at 3:13 PM, Leslie Yew said:

I have been living in Thailand like this for the past 300 days because rental is cheaper than flying every week.

That's the problem in a nutshell. The APEC card is for visiting Thailand as a business traveler, not for living in Thailand.

There's no guarantee that IOs you'll encounter in the future won't eventually deny you entry. While you do have a legitimate reason to visit Thailand frequently for business, anything beyond that is stretching things. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Caldera said:

That's the problem in a nutshell. The APEC card is for visiting Thailand as a business traveler, not for living in Thailand.

There's no guarantee that IOs you'll encounter in the future won't eventually deny you entry. While you do have a legitimate reason to visit Thailand frequently for business, anything beyond that is stretching things. 

I am wondering what visa I shall appy.  

On 8/23/2024 at 2:51 PM, Caldera said:

The APEC business card only permits a 90 day stay on each entry.

On 8/23/2024 at 8:37 PM, Leslie Yew said:

I am wondering what visa I shall appy.  

None. Stick with the APEC card.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1