How on earth do you Diet in Thailand ?

31 minutes ago, maesariang said:

Nice red suit.

That sounds  like a compliment - if so, thank you.

Edited by ChrisKC
Deleted! somebody thought some of my comment was SAD
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1

9 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

.... as in trying to lose weight, not maintaining. 

Calories aren't a major weapon used here - unless you look to buy heavily processed ready  made meals. 

I was eating a single Pad Kaprao a day for a week, and some fruit on the evening. Didn't lose anything. 

Went behind the scenes to see how this Pad Kaprao was being made (under the guise of being a good customer). My goodness this isn't some healthy meal, little bit of chicken mixed into some spicy veg and some rice. Hell no. Instead the volume of oil used was enough to burn a building. She then proceeds to add 20 large spoons (i literally lie to you not) of sugar, followed by endless volume of a salt called MGM. So you think that's it ... no there were more. Once finished she began to put some butter into it, a proper massive lump !!!!!

The sheer volume of salt and MSG put into the rice was astonishing.

I came away thinking this isn't just some minor small meal. This is a one hell of a calorie laden meal. 

My question is to you all ... how on earth do you count calories here and lose weight ?

A calorie counter app is a good start. I thought I had an idea how many calories I consumed a day, but I was wrong.

Make sure you know what you eat, and move more. If not possible to go to a gym, buy home gym equipment. Elastic bands and a rower is the most efficient. 

Be diciplined and get up in the morning, and start moving.

There is nothing that comes for free, unless you are genetic gifted.

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

The main problem with Thai people and Buddhism is that it is treated as a religion and its rituals, rather than the much more important aspects as it relates to the basic precepts being followed, such as non-materialism!

8 hours ago, Hawaiian said:

Ever heard of starting out your meal with salad greens and a low-calorie dressing?  Yes, I know it's normally not found in a typical Thai restaurant.

I always ate salads daily back in the US. Took me awhile to find the same ingredients here as the local stores aren't keen on foreign food. especially salad dressings. I brought back bottles of Kens and Paul Newmans from Texas, but ran out too quick. This year I'll bring back more. I still don't see much in the way of decent salad dressings here, along with pasta sauces, One here, one there, and not like I have back home. Just to find celery here took a long time.

1 minute ago, ChrisKC said:

The main problem with Thai people and Buddhism is that it is treated as a religion and its rituals, rather than the much more important aspects as it relates to the basic precepts being followed, such as non-materialism!

I se more praying for gold and cash than a lot of other things.

1 hour ago, maesariang said:

I think the whole weight loss thing is a scam. Warren Buffet is fat and 93. Just eat enough vitamins and minerals.

Genetics is a major point but you can cut your time here short if you smoke, drink too much or carry too much extra fat. Eating healthy can lower your risk of heart disease, diabetes and cancer, the three big killers.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

This year I'll bring back more. I still don't see much in the way of decent salad dressings here, along with pasta sauces, One here, one there, and not like I have back home.

I have found a basic Thousand Island is easily available at Makro and Big C.  I buy it for convenience.  My wife makes an awesome vinaigrette with apple cider vinegar and authentic maple syrup.  It keeps well for weeks in the refrigerator.  Dressing are pretty simple to make yourself.

As for the pasta sauces, my wife starts with the small imported jars from USA and then augments it with tomato paste, home made Italian sausage and Italian spices.  It is so much more enjoyable than just the sauce as bought.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, maesariang said:

Where do you live?

I've already told you dozens of times 🤔.  Have you looked for a remedial reading course in your area?

Just now, gamb00ler said:

I've already told you dozens of times 🤔.  Have you looked for a remedial reading course in your area?

Bangkok? Pattaya? I never saw your name prior to last week. Dozens of times? No. 

Edited by maesariang

Just now, gamb00ler said:

I have found a basic Thousand Island is easily available at Makro and Big C.  I buy it for convenience.  My wife makes an awesome vinaigrette with apple cider vinegar and authentic maple syrup.  It keeps well for weeks in the refrigerator.  Dressing are pretty simple to make yourself.

As for the pasta sauces, my wife starts with the small imported jars from USA and then augments it with tomato paste, home made Italian sausage and Italian spices.  It is so much more enjoyable than just the sauce as bought.

All I can find here are Ragu in a can, Agnesi, which isn't too bad, and a few others that are kinda plain. When I go back, I'll bring back Mom's, Rao's, Classico, Tuttorossi and a few others that are really good. Also canned tuna and sardines, I Cant Believe Its Not Butter Spray, Various cereals, Sourdough Pretzels, Orzo and Pastina pasta, and DVD's.

8 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

All I can find here are Ragu in a can, Agnesi, which isn't too bad, and a few others that are kinda plain. When I go back, I'll bring back Mom's, Rao's, Classico, Tuttorossi and a few others that are really good. Also canned tuna and sardines, I Cant Believe Its Not Butter Spray, Various cereals, Sourdough Pretzels, Orzo and Pastina pasta, and DVD's.

For tuna, we're pretty happy with the most expensive one sold in our local Makro.  Makro also sells celery for your tuna salad sandwiches.

For Hellman's mayonnaise you have to go to Rimping.

tuna.jpg

Edited by gamb00ler

7 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

For tuna, we're pretty happy with the most expensive one sold in our local Makro.  Makro also sells celery for your tuna salad sandwiches.

tuna.jpg

That tuna is okay but the ones I get back home are fantastic. Albacore in water in at least 4 brands. Chicken of the Sea, Wild Planet, Starkist are three. Here it's like the redder meat. Makro is where I first found celery. Now Lotus carries it but not all the time. Like the yellow peppers I get here that are good in salads. The best mushrooms are the really firm basic kinds, but here they haven't been firm and are better for soups. I couldn't find head lettuce unless I went to Makro also, but now Lotus has them most of the time.

Edited by fredwiggy

4 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I couldn't find head lettuce unless I went to Makro also, but now Lotus has them most of the time.

I must have missed the head lettuce.  I'll have to look more closely.

1 minute ago, gamb00ler said:

I must have missed the head lettuce.  I'll have to look more closely.

They have it on the bottom shelves next to the cabbage,they look almost the same  at Lotus, at Makro on the bottom also.  Packaged.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

My question is to you all ... how on earth do you count calories here and lose weight ? 

Don't worry too much about calories from food, just minimise alcohol, this will put the weight on. 

Your main concern is to exercise daily, get your heart rate up. 

Once you get your exercise in order, your food intake (in moderation) won't gain weight. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

4 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Don't worry too much about calories from food, just minimise alcohol, this will put the weight on. 

Your main concern is to exercise daily, get your heart rate up. 

Once you get your exercise in order, your food intake (in moderation) won't gain weight. 

I see lots of fat people walking.

No way. Have to be out of Thailand for at least 6 months to shed the fat gained there! Come back, it all starts again!

14 minutes ago, maesariang said:

I see lots of fat people walking.

Yes, so do I. 

You got to be aggressive, a casual stroll, forget it you'll stay fat. 

It's why I spoke about getting your heart rate up. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

.... as in trying to lose weight, not maintaining. 

Calories aren't a major weapon used here - unless you look to buy heavily processed ready  made meals. 

I was eating a single Pad Kaprao a day for a week, and some fruit on the evening. Didn't lose anything. 

Went behind the scenes to see how this Pad Kaprao was being made (under the guise of being a good customer). My goodness this isn't some healthy meal, little bit of chicken mixed into some spicy veg and some rice. Hell no. Instead the volume of oil used was enough to burn a building. She then proceeds to add 20 large spoons (i literally lie to you not) of sugar, followed by endless volume of a salt called MGM. So you think that's it ... no there were more. Once finished she began to put some butter into it, a proper massive lump !!!!!

The sheer volume of salt and MSG put into the rice was astonishing.

I came away thinking this isn't just some minor small meal. This is a one hell of a calorie laden meal. 

Be aware if you eat prepared Thai food! It is loaded with sugar and MSG plus often old and very bad oils! Drop the rice too!

6 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Yes, so do I. 

You got to be aggressive, a casual stroll, forget it you'll stay fat. 

It's why I spoke about getting your heart rate up. 

Eat lots of sugar then walking does little.

Counter to everything you're told, eat protein, lean or fatty, doesn't matter, but balance the fat in the protein, with added or cooking fats.  Sort of a keto-ish or even carnivore diet.   Though myself, don't think I could handle a hard core carnivore diet.

Scratch non fibrous card, and as much (all) sugar that you can.  Actually you can eat almost as much as you want, without getting silly.  Proteins don't seem to taste as good, once full.  Not like carbs & sweets where you can gouge yourself.

Add a daily intermittent fast, overnight is the easiest, as you're sleeping through half of it.  12-15-18 hrs of no food.   Drink lots of water, especially first week, and your body will stop storing water.   Good for a couple kgs losss right there.  Drink a good bit with your meals, as very filling and good for digestion.

Whole foods (learn how to cook) are best, and read any processed food's label, or, my thinking is, if it has a label, I kind of avoid it to begin with.   If I need to read the crap that's in it, I'll pass.

Here's a list of 'keto approved' foods that I actually eat, and are available in TH.   I whittled down the full list (photo), to what I actually would eat and what's readily available here, I think.  Lot more on the list than I thought would be.   Actually more approved, but not readily available or I simply wouldn't eat it.

Keto foods.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Sad 1