Severe Flooding in Chiang Rai Claims Two Lives

webfact

image.jpeg

Heavy rains in Chiang Rai have wreaked havoc, causing severe flooding that has tragically claimed two lives and trapped 20 individuals in a convenience store. The flooding has also submerged an extensive 15,000 rai of farmland, predominantly rice fields.

Continuous torrential downpours have led to significant water level rises in several rivers, with the Ing River being particularly affected. Originating from Kwan Phayao and flowing through Thoeng and Khun Tan districts before merging with the Mekong River in Chiang Khong, the river's swelling has resulted in widespread flooding.

The first victim of the flooding, a 77-year-old man from Pong Noi village, tragically drowned while fishing in a flooded rice field in Doi Luang district. The second victim, a 39-year-old woman from Tap Tao subdistrict in Thoeng district, went missing following a flash flood on August 17. Her body was later found in the Hong River in Sai Khat village, Tap Tao.

Local officials reported that the Pang Kha Bridge in Tap Tao, Thoeng district, has become impassable after being washed away by the rising floodwaters.

Moreover, twenty individuals are currently trapped in a 7-Eleven convenience store in Ian Village, Hong subdistrict, Thoeng district. With water levels reaching between 1 and 1.5 metres, an urgent rescue operation is in progress.

In an unrelated but equally distressing incident, Khao Sok National Park rangers and rescuers successfully saved a Thai tour guide and 22 foreign tourists from a flash flood while they were exploring Nam Talu Cave in Surat Thani province. Unfortunately, another Thai tour guide was reported missing during the floods and was later found deceased inside the cave.

The flash flood, which occurred on the evening of August 6, was attributed to heavy rainfall over the preceding days. The Thai tour guide who reported the incident believed the rains triggered the sudden and devastating flood.

Authorities are intensifying rescue efforts and providing aid to those affected as the region grapples with the aftermath of this severe weather event.

Picture courtesy: Kaosod

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-22

Cigna Banner (500x100) (1).png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 3

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The first victim of the flooding, a 77-year-old man from Pong Noi village, tragically drowned while fishing in a flooded rice field in Doi Luang district. The second victim, a 39-year-old woman from Tap Tao subdistrict in Thoeng district, went missing following a flash flood on August 17. Her body was later found in the Hong River in Sai Khat village, Tap Tao.

So it has claimed 4 lives not 2. ......................:sad:

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

So it has claimed 4 lives not 2. ......................:sad:

I only see two in the report?

77 year old man and a 39 year old women?

37 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

I only see two in the report?

77 year old man and a 39 year old women?

6 hours ago, webfact said:

6 hours ago, webfact said:

flooding that has tragically claimed two lives and trapped 20 individuals in a convenience store.

I make that four...............

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I make that four

I may be wrong, but....

I think you may have counted the two lost lives twice?

Two dead in total,  plus the 20 people stuck in 7-11 [no fatalities]

pls correct me if wrong.

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

I may be wrong, but....

I think you may have counted the two lost lives twice?

Two dead in total,  plus the 20 people stuck in 7-11 [no fatalities]

pls correct me if wrong.

Well maybe he was fishing in the '7/11' store rice paddy and the woman got swept through the door---- bing bong.