Lao borders (some at least) now requiring overnight stay?

On 8/26/2024 at 10:50 PM, BoganBob said:

If the Thai-Lao crossings continue to allow 2 visa exempt land border crossings per year then that would be the one remaining advantage. Flight to Kuala Lumpur is probably cheaper and definitely faster but airport immigration is crap shoot whereas land crossing from Laos was viewed as "safe" thing to keep in back pocket if you needed it. I guess the thing to keep a close eye on is if that is changing with transition to 60 days visa exempt stamp. Will land crossings become more like airports in terms of scrutiny?   

Yes, most likely. 

• Agree 1

On 8/28/2024 at 4:44 PM, racket said:

You’re missing the point. If it were Laos preventing people from exiting or leaving the country, that could be a violation of international law. I wasn’t referring to Thai immigration. Additionally, I’ve never heard of the borders you mentioned. From what I’ve read online, they’ve primarily been used by tourists and locals for quick in-and-out visits. You seem more experienced with border runs than I am, which suggests you might be the one relying on visa-free stamps to stay in Thailand. As for heavy drinking and girls, it sounds like you’re projecting your own experiences. People have been working online since the early 2000s… Welcome to the real world. 

There is no inherent right for a foreigner to enter either Laos or Thailand. 

In May 2022, Laos even banned anyone arriving from certain sub-Saharan African countries from entering due to monkeypox. Call that a human rights violation if you will, but it's their call and their right.

There's no good reason to be doing continous border runs. Get a proper visa, find another country to live in or go back home. Simple as that.

Border runners ruin it for everyone else to the point that legitimate people with long term visas arriving by car are questioned as to their intentions when they arrive at some border crossings. 

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Tomtomtom69 said:

There's no good reason to be doing continous border runs. Get a proper visa, find another country to live in or go back home. Simple as that.

What type of visa are you on?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Tomtomtom69 said:

There's no good reason to be doing continous border runs. Get a proper visa, find another country to live in or go back home.

There is no reason those doing visa runs should not be encouraged to stay and keep spending money in Thailand.  They are violating no law by doing so.

2 hours ago, Tomtomtom69 said:

Border runners ruin it for everyone else to the point that legitimate people with long term visas arriving by car are questioned as to their intentions when they arrive at some border crossings. 

This Stockholm Syndrome thinking is pathetic.  The IOs at those borders want "tribute" payments, through their agent-partners, from those who stay in Thailand a considerable period of time, and their bosses allow this behavior. 

That is ALL this is about - the same as with changing the requirements/hassles for extensions of stay in the country. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, Tod Daniels said:

No issue bouncing out/back at the Malay borders
image.png.15c736f365ec96e778f5d5c37e46f4a7.png

Has anyone been to the Wang Prachan border in Satun recently, can anyone confirm if the "Fee" still needs to be paid to come back the same day on Visa Exempt? 

On 9/2/2024 at 2:22 PM, Rob Browder said:

There is no reason those doing visa runs should not be encouraged to stay and keep spending money in Thailand.  They are violating no law by doing so.

This Stockholm Syndrome thinking is pathetic.  The IOs at those borders want "tribute" payments, through their agent-partners, from those who stay in Thailand a considerable period of time, and their bosses allow this behavior. 

That is ALL this is about - the same as with changing the requirements/hassles for extensions of stay in the country. 

Border running on visa exempt is a breach of the rules.

Only reason you defend this practice is because you're living here on visa exempt and it benefits you.

One day, could be your next border run or the one after that, your number will be up and refused entry.

Just the way it works. Again, you can't get away with this in a western country and Thailand is increasingly not tolerating it either.

Qualifying for a long term visa extension isn't difficult. 

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Santzes said:

Is there a reason why people seem to be going to Chiang Khong even though apparently Chiang Saen is only one night and a little closer to Chiang Rai?

The private border van companies all go to Chiang Khong. And there are two direct Green Buses daily plus a bunch of buses that go to Chiang Rai which you can then just hop on the Chiang Khong local bus that runs every hour. With Chiang Saen there is just one Green Bus daily that doesn't leave till after noon. Plus I think people are just more familiar with it generally because going there and then taking slow boat to Luang Prabang is popular thing among backpackers. 

• Like 2

On 9/4/2024 at 3:15 PM, racket said:

If your stay is short-term, you can use border runs to extend your stay, up to the limit of two per calendar year.

That "two per calendar year" rule was only for land-borders, and no longer in-effect.  This has been tested/verified with several entry-reports exceeding that limit at known safe/non-corrupt points of entry, since the rule-change earlier this year.

2 hours ago, Jack1988 said:

It's still only 2 times per year at chiang khong- huay xai laos border

As usual, every immigration office and entry-point will make things "their own way."  I would not try Poipet/Aranyaprathet, either. 

But, prior to the recent change, the "2-land-border entries per calendar-year" rule was universal at all land-borders - reflecting the policy published in the official Gazette, which was specific to land-border entry points.  This was never policy at the airport entry-points.

6 minutes ago, Jack1988 said:

right now, the best borders with no issues are to cambodia or malaysia

You really shouldn't post like you have expert knowledge. Are you saying for example Nong Khai - Laos friendship bridge has issues?

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

You really shouldn't post like you have expert knowledge. Are you saying for example Nong Khai - Laos friendship bridge has issues?

lol, did i mention nong khai- laos bridge? You are saying that! My agency said that the best borders are cambodia or malaysia. Maybe because they deal with immigration officers

2 minutes ago, Jack1988 said:

lol, did i mention nong khai- laos bridge? You are saying that! My agency said that the best borders are cambodia or malaysia. Maybe because they deal with immigration officers

You are trolling the thread.

Please refrain.

Recent reports of Nong Khai same day exit reentry. 

@Pattaya57 post correct

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, eastbaybob said:

As I was leaving I saw some guy without a visa and he told me they were going to require him to spend the night there so he didn’t go.

First up thanks for report.

So this other guy wasn't prepared to spend one night in Laos and walked away.

Weird 

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

First up thanks for report.

So this other guy wasn't prepared to spend one night in Laos and walked away.

Weird 

Yep, I'm sure most border runs are done with 1 or 2 days remaining on entry stamp so why would you decline to stay 1 night in Laos when so close to end of stay?

Edited by Pattaya57