Star alliance frequent flyer miles . A swindle ?

I managed to gather a load of miles and have some status.    A load are expiring soon.   A redemption flight   hah    hah      hardly worth the fuss and bother.    I barely get more than a discount on TG.    Not only that  the luggage allowance  in miserable.   

I paid  a little more with   eva and got more than double luggage allowance.   

The extra luggage allowance I could get on TG  does not make up the difference.     The status  extra allowance  does not work on Eva.    

I am left with the impression that short haul redemption flights make better use of the miles.   It appears you have to use up all the miles to avoid loosing miles   

• Confused 3

14 hours ago, surreybloke said:

I managed to gather a load of miles and have some status.

How many miles and which airline program?

I'm not familiar with Star Alliance in general, but have still have some Qatar (Oneworld) miles (Avios) and AFKL (Skyteam) miles as well as some in Emirates' Skywards.  I have always been able to use any before they expire, often by looking at using airline partners, eg Bangok Airways.

Air miles programs generally stink. I don't use them any more. I spend a little extra and fly everywhere business class. Plenty of luggage allowance, they give you the money back ion you don't take the flight and you can change dates with minimal or no charge. I use two airlines only, ANA and Emirates. 

• Agree 1

Get a credit card with a SA carrier. Miles don't expire. (EG LH Mastercard Blue/Gold).

You also collect miles simply by using it, and that can mount to useful mileage very quickly.

Edited by BusyB
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, retarius said:

Air miles programs generally stink. I don't use them any more. I spend a little extra and fly everywhere business class. Plenty of luggage allowance, they give you the money back ion you don't take the flight and you can change dates with minimal or no charge. I use two airlines only, ANA and Emirates. 

I don't know about spending a little extra, every time I look into business class it's three times the cost of economy, and at least double the cost of premium economy. 

• Agree 2