Adding flavor concentrates to cannabis oil?

Has anyone ever added any flavor extracts to cannabis oil after the infusion process has been completed? I'm referring to extract concentrates like vanilla or mint? There are also artificial flavor concentrates available that sound interesting such as banana. They are all available under the McCormick brand in their shop on Lazada.

If anyone has any experience with adding these flavorings to cannabis oil then please let me know your thoughts and experiences please. 

If I am buying a vape pen or a cartridge to vape the first thing I do is make sure it has no flavor added. I want to smoke weed not bananas or strawberries. 

2 minutes ago, marin said:

If I am buying a vape pen or a cartridge to vape the first thing I do is make sure it has no flavor added. I want to smoke weed not bananas or strawberries. 

what kind of vape are you talking about though. what concentrate is used ? 

Yep, I’ve added flavor extracts like vanilla and mint to my cannabis oil after infusing it. It definitely changes the flavor! I usually go with McCormick extracts because they’re pretty potent—just a few drops and you’ll notice a difference. I’d recommend starting with a small amount and adjusting to taste. It’s a fun way to tweak the flavor if you’re not keen on the natural taste.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Pinokio420 said:

Yep, I’ve added flavor extracts like vanilla and mint to my cannabis oil after infusing it. It definitely changes the flavor! I usually go with McCormick extracts because they’re pretty potent—just a few drops and you’ll notice a difference. I’d recommend starting with a small amount and adjusting to taste. It’s a fun way to tweak the flavor if you’re not keen on the natural taste.

Thank you. I added 4 drops of the vanilla to about 2.5 ML of oil as an experiment (I didn't want to possibly waste too much of the oil), but I didn't really taste anything different from adding that amount. I haven't gone any further with it yet, but probably it needs a bit more vanilla to make the flavor change noticeable.

Did you happen to get a feel for the correct ratios yet for getting a nice flavor blend without overdoing it on the vanilla?

A while ago I had added much more vanilla than that to a 10 ML bottle of oil, which ended up being too much vanilla. And then I ended up throwing it out. So I don't want to go down that road again. 

I've got a new and very potent batch of oil now, but it has a very strong cannabis taste because of the high potency, which also has a bit of a mild, burnt flavor to it. So I'm really interested to blend it with another complimentary flavor if I can. I can deal with the natural flavor myself no problem, but I think some of my friends that I may share it with might find the oil flavor more palatable with some added flavoring. 

Edited by Hokeus

Is it true that ganja extracts are close to neutral in taste and terpenes are added back to the oils for flavor?  It would be nice to have a stealth blend with big punch. Asking for a friend 🙄 

10 hours ago, Hokeus said:

Thank you. I added 4 drops of the vanilla to about 2.5 ML of oil as an experiment (I didn't want to possibly waste too much of the oil), but I didn't really taste anything different from adding that amount. I haven't gone any further with it yet, but probably it needs a bit more vanilla to make the flavor change noticeable.

Did you happen to get a feel for the correct ratios yet for getting a nice flavor blend without overdoing it on the vanilla?

A while ago I had added much more vanilla than that to a 10 ML bottle of oil, which ended up being too much vanilla. And then I ended up throwing it out. So I don't want to go down that road again. 

I've got a new and very potent batch of oil now, but it has a very strong cannabis taste because of the high potency, which also has a bit of a mild, burnt flavor to it. So I'm really interested to blend it with another complimentary flavor if I can. I can deal with the natural flavor myself no problem, but I think some of my friends that I may share it with might find the oil flavor more palatable with some added flavoring. 

https://www.mccormick.com/spices-and-flavors/extracts-and-food-colors/extracts/pure-vanilla-extract

If you want to change the flavour profile, do it during the creation or just create edibles....and tell people what they are taking.

11 hours ago, Wuvu2 said:

Is it true that ganja extracts are close to neutral in taste and terpenes are added back to the oils for flavor?  It would be nice to have a stealth blend with big punch. Asking for a friend 🙄 

Most terps if not all burn off in decarb. @SamuiGrower will know for sure. 

Different formulas can be made to taste better if your friend needs it. 

1 hour ago, stoner said:

Most terps if not all burn off in decarb.

Not necessarily. If you decarb at around 200-210 Fahrenheit in a sealed mason jar, and using a double boiler system, then a fair amount of it is retained. You will still likely end up with just a general cannabis flavor in the oil after the infusion, but that flavor is mostly from the terps. 

However, it’s not just terpenes that can contribute to the cannabis flavor. Other compounds in cannabis, such as flavonoids and cannabinoids (like THC and CBD), can also affect the taste profile of the infused oil. But it's still mainly the terps you are tasting in the oil. 

Edited by 123Stodg
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, 123Stodg said:

Not necessarily. If you decarb at around 200-210 Fahrenheit in a sealed mason jar using a double boiler, then a fair amount of it is retained. But you will still likely end up with a general cannabis flavor in the oil after the inf

usion. 

Those terps would end up sticking to the top of the mason jar. Ewww.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, stoner said:

Those terps would end up sticking to the top of the mason jar. Ewww.

If your cannabis oil has any cannabis flavor then most of that flavor is from the terps. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, SamuiGrower said:

While it is true that most extracts destined for smoking (dab, shatter, butter, rosin, vape carts, et al.) have terpenes added back in

Wait what ??????

I have never nor would I. That's low brow shhhhh.

22 minutes ago, SamuiGrower said:

Any “flavors”  that are ethanol based (vanilla, mint, almond, etc) will convert to acetalaldehyde which is carcinogenic upon thermal decomposition.

This topic is about adding flavorings to edible cannabis oils after the infusion process has been completed and in order to adjust the flavor profile of the finished oil. 

Presumably the points you raised would only be a concern when adding flavorings to the oil during the heating and oil infusion processes.

If you add vanilla or mint to the cannabis oil after the oil infusion process has been completed, and the oil has been cooled down already, then it seems there is no risk of what you are suggesting. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hokeus said:

This topic is about adding flavorings to edible cannabis oils after the infusion process has been completed

Are you smoking said oil? Yes? Do NOT add flavorings.

If you are ingesting it, do as you please. Perhaps I should have prefaced my post….. re: smoking/vaping

It was you, actually, that referred to “extract concentrates”. This implies smoking.

Edited by SamuiGrower
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SamuiGrower said:

Are you smoking said oil? Yes? Do NOT add flavorings.

If you are ingesting it, do as you please. Perhaps I should have prefaced my post….. re: smoking/vaping

It was you, actually, that referred to “extract concentrates”. This implies smoking.

Sorry for the confusion and my lack of clarity. I was only referring to cannabis oils that would be swallowed and ingested. 

The reference to extract concentrates was in regards to the vanilla and mint extracts which are flavoring concentrates. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, billd766 said:

Is cannabis oil any good for treating osteo-arthritis in my knees?

you might find better results with a cream or balm.

i have been giving some to my mom for a number of years for her fingers (same issue as you) and she says it does help. i made and tested it on myself first. i have broken my ankles 6 times and had reconstructive surgery. my knees are pretty shot already and when i rub it on my knees the pain goes away quite quickly. i do apply quite a bit of it each time though. my mom found good results with 1 application of the cream then follow with another 15 minutes later. my company sells decent amounts of it. i cannot tell you that it is a fix all or that it is guaranteed to work. a few members on here have tried it with some mixed results. a few people it did not help in any way. others it helped and has changed things for the better.

more than willing to help out send you some see if it works. we do also make oils. all safe process from start to finish is inhouse. 

• Love It 1

We found a cannabis shop in Kamphaeng Phet yesterday. My wife rattled off in Thai to the young guy working there. He explained in fair English that a lot of the locals in his village who also had knee problems boiled up the flowers, left them to steep then drank the stuff before they went to bed. They slept better and it seems as though thier knee joints ached less the next day.

My wife talked to the guys boss and they gave us 100 baht of the flowers for free.

This morning she made the first lot in a big mug. I strained it through a sieve and put it in a bottle in the fridge for tonight. I also made a second brew ready for tomorrow. I will try that for a day or so and see if it makes a difference to my knees and if I sleep better.

Edited by billd766
added extra text
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, billd766 said:

We found a cannabis shop in Kamphaeng Phet yesterday. My wife rattled off in Thai to the young guy working there. He explained in fair English that a lot of the locals in his village who also had knee problems boiled up the flowers, left them to steep then drank the stuff before they went to bed. They slept better and it seems as though thier knee joints ached less the next day.

My wife talked to the guys boss and they gave us 100 baht of the flowers for free.

This morning she made the first lot in a big mug. I strained it through a sieve and put it in a bottle in the fridge for tonight. I also made a second brew ready for tomorrow. I will try that for a day or so and see if it makes a difference to my knees and if I sleep better.

I had about 250 ml last night and as it is, it has all the flavour and smell of wet grass. The next lot I make, I will put some honey with it to add a little bit of flavour

Posted (edited)

I've now done a bit more experimenting with flavoring. I added 4 drops each of both vanilla and banana flavor concentrates to 2.5 ML of the cannabis oil. The overall added flavoring is still a bit faint, but I like it. I wanted something subtle and I think this could be a winner. And because it's subtle, it's not disruptive to the taste, but just enough to take the strong cannabis flavor edge off it. 

So that's a total of 8 drops I added to 2.5 ML. That would correspond to 32 drops to a 10ML bottle of oil. Using my standard glass dropper, I normally get about 20 drops from 0.5 ML of liquid. So that would equate to adding about .75 ML of flavoring to 10 ML of oil. So I'll take the plunge and make up a 10 ML batch using that ratio totaling .75 ML of flavor concentrates to a 10 ML bottle of oil. 

Although I haven't done any tests yet with the mint flavoring, I decided that I'm not going to do so for now. I'm not really sure that mint flavor will mix well with cannabis flavor. But I do think vanilla and banana are good choices which can help to accent a typical cannabis flavor.

I've also come up with half a dozen possible names for the concoction:

Banana Vanilla Kush  

Vanilla Gorilla  

Creamy Banana 

Banana Monkey  

Funky Banana Cream  

Banana Split

Ive also experimented by putting the plain cannabis oil on top of a piece of chocolate. That works nicely too. A good way of making an instant edible.  

Edited by Hokeus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1