Benz Loses Control, Crashes Into Van, Another Car Hits, 1 Dead, 2 Seriously Injured

Georgealbert

IMG_4806.jpeg

Picture from responders.

On August 25, at around 05:00, Police Lieutenant Colonel Phudecha Chueman of the Highway Police Station in Khao Din, Chonburi, responded to a serious accident involving a Benz car and a van on the motorway at kilometer 65+900 heading towards Bangkok, in Don Huaro subdistrict, Mueang Chonburi District, Chonburi Province. The incident resulted in multiple casualties.

At the scene, officers found a green Benz, license plate Chonburi, overturned with its wheels facing up. The driver, identified as Mr. Naphoo (surname withheld), 38, sustained injuries and had already been rushed to a nearby hospital. Close by, a heavily damaged bronze Toyota sedan with license plate Bangkok was found. The driver, Mr. Nopachai (surname withheld), 41, was also injured and taken to the hospital earlier.

Tragically, Mr. Shintaro, 50, a Japanese national and owner of an industrial factory in Rayong, was found dead in the backseat of the Toyota sedan. Additionally, a black van, license plate Bangkok, was found damaged at the rear, but no injuries were reported among its passengers

According to the van’s driver, Mr. Wanchalerm (surname withheld), 30, he was driving his family back from Bang Saen Beach, traveling in the left lane towards Bangkok, when the Benz suddenly crashed into the back of his van, lost control, and hit a barrier before overturning. Shortly afterward, the Toyota sedan collided with the wrecked Benz.

Authorities are now gathering further evidence, including interviewing witnesses and reviewing CCTV footage, to proceed with the legal investigation.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-25

Cigna Banner (500x100) (1).png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Moonlover said:

That is the Benz that was  travelling really fast. Well, it was a Benz. It's a Bent now.

That damage doesn't come with speeds of a fender bender for sure. The car was travelling well over the speed limit.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

That damage doesn't come with speeds of a fender bender for sure. The car was travelling well over the speed limit.

What source are you using for this information? I suspect none?

2 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Given its age, the chassis rails likely full of tin worm.

Probably monocoque construction so no chassis - Merc were pioneers of crumple zones.

6 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

It has front chassis rails.... all monocoque vehicles do.

It's a sub frame - now what are you trying to say?

Most Mercedes-Benz saloons (sedans) typically have a unibody (monocoque) construction. In this design, the body and frame are integrated into a single structure, which provides strength and rigidity. However, many of these vehicles also have subframes, particularly in areas like the front and rear suspension.

The subframe is a structural component that mounts to the unibody and supports critical parts like the engine, transmission, and suspension, helping to isolate these components from the rest of the vehicle to reduce noise, vibration, and harshness (NVH). The unibody construction allows for better crash safety, weight savings, and improved handling, which were important considerations in the design of 1990s Mercedes-Benz models.

So, while the primary structure is a unibody, subframes are used to support specific components within that structure.

this is in common with most Thai sedans but not pickups.

some 1990s Mercs had a rear sub frame recall.

Edited by kwilco

28 minutes ago, kwilco said:

What source are you using for this information? I suspect none?

To do that amount of damage the speed would have to be very high. Maybe you can tell me how at 80 km/h a vehicle like a Mercedes would sustain such damage?

6 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

To do that amount of damage the speed would have to be very high. Maybe you can tell me how at 80 km/h a vehicle like a Mercedes would sustain such damage?

total nonsense - you have no way of gauging damage on that photo and you don't even know if another vehicle may have hit it and the combination speeds thereof.

30 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Front chassis rails are not a subframe.

THwn you don't know how a Merc is built - which tallies with everything else you've said. - you speak like an American.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

Read my earlier reply. The speed limit on this road is 120km/h. An 35+ year old W123 Merc would not be exceeding that. And the article clearly states that after the Merc rear ended a van it was then smashed in to by a following Toyota.

Why is reading the article too much for so many posters here? Comment without reading, I don't get it.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

Police officer :- "what speed were you travelling at"

Driver :- "What is the speed limit here"

Police officer :- "80 kmh"

Driver :- "80 kmh officer, I was travelling at 80 kmh"

18 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Not necessarily. The speed limit on that road is 120 kmh. Hit anything at that speed and you are doing serious damage.

Also that is a pretty old Merc - looks like a W123 so over 30 years old; unlikely that would get over 120kmh.

Unless he had a high speed blowout it's safe to say it was being driven very badly, but I wouldn't immediately conclude it was over the speed limit.

Unless everyone else was at a dead stop, then yes indeed he was speeding.