Thai wife applying for UK spouse visa but has a job she’s quitting

23 hours ago, Encore said:

Apparently the Home Office employ people who do not think that monthly deposits from me to her Thai bank accounts, spending in Thailand, and that having house and land, as well as family in Thailand,  is a reason for her to stay in UK, which neither of us want! 

The UKVI are aware that it’s not unusual for couples in your position, ie when one partner living overseas makes regular payments to their Thai partner, for the Thai partner, or many other nationalities, to travel to a Western country on a visit visa and remain there with their benefactor.

Whilst you guys may not fall into this category, in future applications she must satisfy the ECO as to her true intentions, that can be challenging.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tony M said:

Why should I be well aware of that ?     Definitive statements are  very rarely valid ?  That's a pretty definitive statement in itself, isn't it ?  And wrong, without evidence, of course.

Apologies, you are quite right. I should have said "definitive statements made on this forum are very rarely valid."

As you well know the majority of issues that arise have so many variables that brevity is often the result leading to statements that may only be true under certain circumstances. People seem to for get that words like, normally, should , maybe etc, would be more appropriate.

The bottom line here is some attempt to justify your misleading comment. 

34 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Apologies, you are quite right. I should have said "definitive statements made on this forum are very rarely valid."

As you well know the majority of issues that arise have so many variables that brevity is often the result leading to statements that may only be true under certain circumstances. People seem to for get that words like, normally, should , maybe etc, would be more appropriate.

The bottom line here is some attempt to justify your misleading comment. 

I don't even understand your final sentence, so I will comment no longer. And that's definitive.

19 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

I didn't ask any questions.

My wife has had 2 visitor visa applications accepted at first attempt. Also a settlement visa application and FLR application accepted at first attempt.

That's how I know your comments were full of errors.

Well I had two rejected and a visitor visa and PR accepted. 

On 8/28/2024 at 3:21 PM, Will B Good said:

Just to add to my previous post...they are keen to see some reason that would make her want to return to Thailand.....land, property, children, employment.

I can't see for the life of me that they would know she is finishing work unless her paychecks suddenly stopped ...say...three months ago.

She has property and children…

I might not bring it up, like I said she was accepted the first time round unemployed 

We have always lived together in Thailand then the 6 month return trip to England we both returned together

She’s quitting her job as she hates it and I can easily support her with the wage she would be getting. 

Thanks for info

On 8/28/2024 at 9:21 AM, Will B Good said:

Just to add to my previous post...they are keen to see some reason that would make her want to return to Thailand.....land, property, children, employment.

I can't see for the life of me that they would know she is finishing work unless her paychecks suddenly stopped ...say...three months ago.

UKVI have a habit of phoning employers and many times to the detriment of a visit visa application...

On 8/29/2024 at 1:17 AM, wavodavo said:

The main criteria that the visitor visa has to satisfy is that she has a good reason to return home. A job is a  pretty good reason with a leave letter from her boss, Also family  children, owns property in Thailand...does'nt  matter how rich the sponsor is.

I agree but my lady was denied a UK tourist visa even though she has her own business ( restaurant and employs staff ) , house and took care of her parents . The Refusal letter reason said only  , they did not believe she would return to Thailand .     ( WHY ? ) Maybe UK entry using rubber boats is the way because genuine applications are sometimes without any just reasons . I have read on this forum that most applications are successful but not all . Stats show that 15% of UK visas are refused .

On 8/29/2024 at 9:12 PM, youreavinalaff said:

I didn't ask any questions.

My wife has had 2 visitor visa applications accepted at first attempt. Also a settlement visa application and FLR application accepted at first attempt.

That's how I know your comments were full of errors.

I asked my long-term partner if she had a problem when she applied for a tourist visa to visit me in the UK and twice to Germany where I was working.

She said she took her paperwork regarding her houses in Thailand and a letter from her job and she received the visas after about one hour at the embassies, which included processing and putting the visas into her Thai passport.

I see there have been conversations here where farangs send money to their girlfriend's/wife's family regularly, I asked my partner if she knew of any Thai men including her brother-in-law who sent money to their wife's family and she looked at me as though I was mad, she said, "why would they do that?"

I said some farangs do that, she said maybe it was the old men who 'hire' young girls long-term. 

10 hours ago, superal said:

I agree but my lady was denied a UK tourist visa even though she has her own business ( restaurant and employs staff ) , house and took care of her parents . The Refusal letter reason said only  , they did not believe she would return to Thailand .     ( WHY ? ) Maybe UK entry using rubber boats is the way because genuine applications are sometimes without any just reasons . I have read on this forum that most applications are successful but not all . Stats show that 15% of UK visas are refused .

Is that statistic for all types of UK visas or just Visitor Visas and is it globally or just Thailand?  An 85% success rate is quite encouraging.

10 hours ago, JamesPhuket10 said:

She said she took her paperwork regarding her houses in Thailand and a letter from her job and she received the visas after about one hour at the embassies, which included processing and putting the visas into her Thai passport.

How many years ago was that?

11 hours ago, superal said:

I agree but my lady was denied a UK tourist visa even though she has her own business ( restaurant and employs staff ) , house and took care of her parents .

And what supporting documents (translated) did she submit as evidence of her claims?

11 hours ago, superal said:

The Refusal letter reason said only  , they did not believe she would return to Thailand . 

It would have also stated the reasons.

16 hours ago, Liquorice said:

How many years ago was that?

Nineteen years ago.

About eight years ago, three Thai women and a Thai male visited me in the UK for a month, they had no problem with visas.

Maybe things have changed.

No problem for me though as my Thai partner loves Thailand and she only went to the UK and Germany to please me, she would rather be here in Thailand. 

I have been here nearly two years and will stay (excluding visits to the UK) until I am too old to be here anymore, 20 years from now I hope.

On 9/1/2024 at 2:34 AM, Liquorice said:

And what supporting documents (translated) did she submit as evidence of her claims?

It would have also stated the reasons.

Sorry pal but all that was written on the refusal letter was " we do not believe she will return to Thailand " 

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Maybe 8 years ago they didn't need to explain the reasons for the refusal. They do now, so that the applicant can address them and re-apply.

I had that years ago.

Applied for a five year visitors visa.....told the wife qualified for the five year visa....BUT 'they' felt two years was appropriate.....'we do not need to give a reason....and there is no refund for the excess you paid for the five year application and there is no appeal......laugh???

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, superal said:

about 8 years ago , why do you ask , is that relevant ?

I asked JamesPhuket10 because he stated his wife applied at the Embassy.

The Embassy haven't handled UK visa applications since they started outsourcing to VFS, which was somewhere between 2001 - 2003.

25 minutes ago, superal said:

Sorry pal but all that was written on the refusal letter was " we do not believe she will return to Thailand " 

I've witnessed numerous UKVI refusal letters, but all stated reasons for the refusal as to why they didn't believe they would return to Thailand.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Liquorice said:

I asked JamesPhuket10 because he stated his wife applied at the Embassy.

The Embassy haven't handled UK visa applications since they started outsourcing to VFS, which was somewhere between 2001 - 2003.

I said "Embassy" as I assumed it was where she got the visitor's visa from, I didn't ask her too many questions as she got the visa with no problems.

I remember at the time she said she went to BKK (from Phuket) to get the visa two days before she was due to fly.

On 9/3/2024 at 4:09 PM, Will B Good said:

I had that years ago.

Applied for a five year visitors visa.....told the wife qualified for the five year visa....BUT 'they' felt two years was appropriate.....'we do not need to give a reason....and there is no refund for the excess you paid for the five year application and there is no appeal......laugh???

I find that to not be correct.  ECOs are required to explain why they are issuing a visa that is for a period less than applied for.  Instructions to ECOs state:

Long-term visit visas (multiple entry) Applicants for a Standard visit visa may apply for a visa that allows multiple visits of up to 6 months at a time over a period of:

•  2 years
  • 5 years
  • 10 years

You can issue a shorter duration visa if the applicant meets the Visitor rules relevant to their visit, but you have concerns about issuing a long-term visit visa. Entry Clearance officers must obtain the authority of the Entry Clearance Manager before issuing a visit visa of shorter duration than that applied for. You must provide clear reasons for the decision to grant a visa for a shorter period than that applied for in a covering letter when the passport is returned. In such cases no refund (full or partial) is available.

If you were not provided with the required letter, then you have a genuine grievance against the ECO and the UKVI.
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Tony M said:

I find that to not be correct.  ECOs are required to explain why they are issuing a visa that is for a period less than applied for.  Instructions to ECOs state:

Long-term visit visas (multiple entry) Applicants for a Standard visit visa may apply for a visa that allows multiple visits of up to 6 months at a time over a period of:

•  2 years
  • 5 years
  • 10 years

You can issue a shorter duration visa if the applicant meets the Visitor rules relevant to their visit, but you have concerns about issuing a long-term visit visa. Entry Clearance officers must obtain the authority of the Entry Clearance Manager before issuing a visit visa of shorter duration than that applied for. You must provide clear reasons for the decision to grant a visa for a shorter period than that applied for in a covering letter when the passport is returned. In such cases no refund (full or partial) is available.

If you were not provided with the required letter, then you have a genuine grievance against the ECO and the UKVI.

Have you a date for the above.

Our application was made in 2007 in Dusseldorf.....when an American company had the UK contract for visas.

4 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Have you a date for the above.

Our application was made in 2007 in Dusseldorf.....when an American company had the UK contract for visas.

Well, its been policy for as long as I can remember, and I was an Entry Clearance Officer in 1976, 1978 and 1987, and worked in British Embassies and British High Commissions overseas from 1999 to 2010.

I have no idea what you mean by "an American Company" having had the contract for visas. There has never been any company or organisation (American or otherwise) other than the UK government, issuing UK visas.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Tony M said:

Well, its been policy for as long as I can remember, and I was an Entry Clearance Officer in 1976, 1978 and 1987, and worked in British Embassies and British High Commissions overseas from 1999 to 2010.

I have no idea what you mean by "an American Company" having had the contract for visas. There has never been any company or organisation (American or otherwise) other than the UK government, issuing UK visas.

Not issuing....vetting.... VFS Global.

I will try dig our letter out.....but I can assure you they gave no reason other than they felt two years was more appropriate.......I was furious at the time.

The American company that used to process UK visa applications in Germany is **VFS Global**.

VFS Global works as an official partner of the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) to handle the administrative aspects of visa application processes for several countries, including the UK. Applicants typically submit their biometric data and required documents at VFS Global’s visa application centers. 

5 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Not issuing....vetting.... VFS Global.

I will try dig our letter out.....but I can assure you they gave no reason other than they felt two years was more appropriate.......I was furious at the time.

The American company that used to process UK visa applications in Germany is **VFS Global**.

VFS Global works as an official partner of the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) to handle the administrative aspects of visa application processes for several countries, including the UK. Applicants typically submit their biometric data and required documents at VFS Global’s visa application centers. 

Just to get things right, VFS Global has nothing to do with visa applications apart from accepting the actual application, taking biometrics (as your quote makes clear). They have no input into visa decision-making, correspondence, or anything else. That is dealt with exclusively by the UK Home Office.

VFS Global is not an American company, and never has been. 

If you find the letter, and that is what it says, then you have a genuine grievance with the Home Office and UKVI. 

• Agree 1

Just now, Tony M said:

Just to get things right, VFS Global has nothing to do with visa applications apart from accepting the actual application, taking biometrics (as your quote makes clear). They have no input into visa decision-making, correspondence, or anything else. That is dealt with exclusively by the UK Home Office.

If you find the letter, and that is what it says, then you have a genuine grievance with the Home Office and UKVI. 

As I recall the five year visa was in the order of £700......going to start digging....555

4 minutes ago, Tony M said:

WorldBridge Services......they were a horrible outfit to deal with.

WorldBridge, which previously managed UK visa applications, was run by **Computer Sciences Corporation (CSC)**. This American multinational IT company launched WorldBridge as part of its business process outsourcing services for UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI). CSC, headquartered in El Segundo, California, introduced WorldBridge in 2007 as a part of its global commercial partnership program [oai_citation:2,CSC Introduces WorldBridge Service to Manage UK Visa Application Process](https://ih.advfn.com/stock-market/NYSE/computer-sciences-CSC/stock-news/21362191/csc-introduces-worldbridge-service-to-manage-uk-vi) [oai_citation:1,Worldbridge International (Cambodia) Ltd. – International Business Chamber of Cambodia](https://ibccambodia.com/member/worldbridge-international-cambodia-ltd/).