Canada Implements 100% Tariff on China-Made Electric Vehicles

Social Media

On 8/28/2024 at 4:44 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Good news, but don't stop there. Tariff Chinese imports into oblivion and employ citizens to make stuff in Canadian ( or insert country of choice ) factories.

I've had enough of only being able to buy Chinese junk that lasts about 5 minutes.

On 8/29/2024 at 8:39 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

You are joking! Almost everything hardware in all the shops in NZ is made in China.

Like @KhunLA said, how is this China’s fault? Yet you advocate for more tariffs. That would merely mean that you would be paying more for a product made in China as no western made alternative is available.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Canada needs EVs like fish need bicycles. We have more oil than almost any other country. Brutal winters. Long commutes. Crumbling infrastructure. Where do EVs fit into this scenario?  Ford and Toyota are correct in switching to hybrid engine technology more and more.

This is a very fair point. While I’m pro-EV, I would probably buy an ICEV if I were living in Canada and only have an EV as a second car. So why impose such punitive tariffs on something that not many people would buy anyway? Canada is opening itself to retaliatory action just to satisfy the whims of it’s master.

• Agree 1

52 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Like @KhunLA said, how is this China’s fault? Yet you advocate for more tariffs. That would merely mean that you would be paying more for a product made in China as no western made alternative is available.

That's ridiculous. If goods made in NZ cost the same as Chinese junk, they'd start making stuff in NZ again. It'd be better quality. It's not a level playing field as western businessmen are exploiting poor workers overseas to make more profit. I take it those that support China are happy to exploit their poor.

53 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That's ridiculous. If goods made in NZ cost the same as Chinese junk, they'd start making stuff in NZ again. It'd be better quality. It's not a level playing field as western businessmen are exploiting poor workers overseas to make more profit. I take it those that support China are happy to exploit their poor.

There you go again, with Chinese junk. You might not like China or Chinese made goods but to classify it as junk is nonsense. Goods are made to a certain price point. A $10 drill is obviously not going to be of the same quality as a $100 drill. You buy the product depending on your budget and requirements. 

Not sure where you are going with exploitation of the poor. We are not talking about some backward, poor underdeveloped country that still has sweat shops. From what I understand, a lot of products made in China are made in factories. I can tell you for a fact that working in a factory is much more pleasant than working out in a rice field under the hot sun. Are you going to stop eating rice because some poor rice farmer is being exploited?

• Agree 1