How about some DIY optometry (yes I'm in the right forum)

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

Excellent idea....I'm sure I get flustered when they are whipping lenses in and out and I then end up with the wrong prescription.

Also I want two different sets of reading glasses....ones close to for reading.....ones slightly further away for watching stuff on the laptop.

Yeah, exactly my problem all the lens swapping at something approaching lightspeed confuses my brain and I end up with less-than-ideal prescriptions.

I also have "reading", "computer" and "driving" glasses with the driving ones as sunnies (my old driving glasses are still ok for use on the rare occasions I drive at night).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, exactly my problem all the lens swapping at something approaching lightspeed confuses my brain and I end up with less-than-ideal prescriptions.

I also have "reading", "computer" and "driving" glasses with the driving ones as sunnies (my old driving glasses are still ok for use on the rare occasions I drive at night).

Think I will have to do the same......glasses for reading,  glasses for laptop.

Strange thing.....my distance vision is almost perfect now after having to wear glasses from my late 20s???

• Like 2

My uncorrected vision seems to have a rather small range of distances where things are in-focus and in both eyes it's best for stuff that's close, really close (about to 30 to 55cm for my left eye and 15 to 20cm on the right) hence these being my "computer" specs, my "driving" ones are rather thicker on the right.

image.jpeg.dfdbcb752f55a243ffa757cf8ad2a5f0.jpeg

Hopefully this is just age related and nothing serious.

Maybe it is time to go to the Eye Hospital 😞 

EDIT I do recall that when I got my first pair of specs back in 2004 the optician said I was "just" legal to drive in the UK uncorrected (yes, I went to Specsavers). Now I would be hard pushed to find the car without my specs :whistling: 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

After years of using varifocals with long, computer and close areas, and paying a lot for some with Essilor lenses, I went for Zenni a couple of pairs ago, and I was amazed at the quality and price, and speed of delivery (1 week). Had several pairs from them since.

After noticing that I had to bend my neck downwards in order to watch telly in bed through the top part of the lenses, I first raised the TV up on the wall, but did not look aesthetically good. So I ordered a pair with just the long distance figures from Zenni for £30 as they are single prescription lenses. I now only use my varifocals for very close work, as I can see the Sudoku on my phone if I hold it at arms length.

• Like 1

One might also have an astigmatism, which is something I'm not sure that you can test for so easily on your own. If you do, then no matter what lens magnification combination you come up with, things will still never look totally clear and sharp.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RSD1 said:

One might also have an astigmatism, which is something I'm not sure that you can test for so easily on your own. If you do, then no matter what lens magnification combination you come up with, things will still never look totally clear and sharp.

Focus on something that looks little blurred....... then view it through a small/tiny hole.....if the image is now sharp you have an astigmatism. 

Lens can compensate to a degree...on your prescription it is cyl.....cylindrical correction.....I think!!!!

Edited by Will B Good
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, RSD1 said:

The kits do include cylindrical lenses to check for simple astigmatism as demonstrated in the linked video.

But as noted in the OP these checks are not to be taken as a replacement for the services of a qualified optometrist.

I became age-related short-sighted when I was about 50, and started with reading glasses, but for ten years or so I have gone with varifocals which I wear all the time.

Tell the optician to slow down until you get it exactly right.

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, Crossy said:

Waving the lenses around yourself is far less stressy than the optometrist asking "is this better, and now, how about now?".

It also demonstrated that the prescription for my right eye has changed somewhat since my last test a couple of years back. If it changes significantly in the next few months, it's time for a visit to the eye hospital methinks.

I don't see any problem with visiting an optician shop and "is this better, and now, how about now?". And, at least in the place where I go, I know they have high quality equipment.

And I don't think my eyes were ever the same over the decades. They got worse, they got better, they changed. That's life.

19 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Strange thing.....my distance vision is almost perfect now after having to wear glasses from my late 20s???

There are bifocal glasses.

My reading glasses stay by the laptop/desktop.

The main lens of my bifocals are for distance, when I am driving. The smaller lens underneath are for reading, such as a menu in a restaurant.

Reading glasses at the laptop, bifocals in the car. Simple.

20 hours ago, Will B Good said:

same here  my distance vision is almost perfect after having to wear glasses for 62 years.  it is just reading + PC and TV further away that is the problem -- do have a old pair of reading glasses which are OK for reading but no good for TV or PC,,,  mostly for reading have a lighted stand magnifying glass   as a note: my Monitor is a Acer 32" curved [used 32" for passed 12 years]- no way could I use a laptop anymore

Did wonder about these adjustable lens glasses ?  save having 1 x reading 1x PC and 1x TV glasses..  anyone use them ? do they do what they say ?

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

There are bifocal glasses.

My reading glasses stay by the laptop/desktop.

The main lens of my bifocals are for distance, when I am driving. The smaller lens underneath are for reading, such as a menu in a restaurant.

Reading glasses at the laptop, bifocals in the car. Simple.

Thanks....I've have always had bifocals.....I need trifocals......tried varifocals but they drove me mad.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, ignis said:

same here  my distance vision is almost perfect after having to wear glasses for 62 years.  it is just reading + PC and TV further away that is the problem -- do have a old pair of reading glasses which are OK for reading but no good for TV or PC,,,  mostly for reading have a lighted stand magnifying glass   as a note: my Monitor is a Acer 32" curved [used 32" for passed 12 years]- no way could I use a laptop anymore

Did wonder about these adjustable lens glasses ?  save having 1 x reading 1x PC and 1x TV glasses..  anyone use them ? do they do what they say ?

Mmmm. yes have seen them advertised....a possibility.

I've just read somewhere that it is not uncommon for distance vision to improve with age......just before it deteriorates again!!!!

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't see any problem with visiting an optician shop and "is this better, and now, how about now?". And, at least in the place where I go, I know they have high quality equipment.

Except that the exam is almost always rushed. Ever try waiting to respond for 10 seconds to blink a few times? Or ask to see the previous slide more then once? You can feel the frustration when you do this from the Optometrist.

With a kit like this I could really nail down what I needed and take my time. I'm not sure about the lenses purchase though, if it would require a signed Rx or not. I know contacts in Thailand do not, they can be purchased on lazada.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Thanks....I've have always had bifocals.....I need trifocals......tried varifocals but they drove me mad.

Snap. I tried varifocals, just could not adjust to them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Lacessit said:

Snap. I tried varifocals, just could not adjust to them.

They were weird (not in a Trump/Vance way)......maybe I should have persisted??....but after a week I was more than happy to put them in the bin.

1 minute ago, Will B Good said:

They were weird (not in a Trump/Vance way)......maybe I should have persisted??....but after a week I was more than happy to put them in the bin.

Please don't mention those two, I am about to have lunch.

• Haha 2

Just now, Lacessit said:

Please don't mention those two, I am about to have lunch.

Soz....I have a triple decker fried egg and bacon sandwich on its way.....plus a cup of Earl Grey......I strimmed 0.5 rai yesterday and this is my treat....555

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

With a kit like this I could really nail down what I needed and take my time. I'm not sure about the lenses purchase though, if it would require a signed Rx or not. I know contacts in Thailand do not, they can be purchased on Lazada.

Get specs from Zenni, link in the OP, low cost and pretty fast delivery to your door.

Just now, Will B Good said:

Soz....I have a triple decker fried egg and bacon sandwich on its way.....plus a cup of Earl Grey......I strimmed 0.5 rai yesterday and this is my treat....555

I am slumming it at 7/11 today. I do need my glasses to read the labels there, so damn small.

Double pork burger with cheese and Caesar salad are the most edible IMO, although that's not saying much.

My GF did make an omelet for breakfast before she went off to a village funeral.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Yeah, I tried varifocals a while back, they just made my head spin.

It's possibly because my eyes are very different. But having several pairs is fine, I can safely move around wearing my "computer" pair (not sure I'd try driving in them mind). 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Madam has gone to the local somtam outlet for something lethal (but delicious). I feel a "system clear out" will be coming on this afternoon 😞 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I am slumming it at 7/11 today. I do need my glasses to read the labels there, so damn small.

Double pork burger with cheese and Caesar salad are the most edible IMO, although that's not saying much.

My GF did make an omelet for breakfast before she went off to a village funeral.

Bloody funerals!!!!

2 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Can this be used as a simple home eye test  ?    and if so at what distance should I be from it to test  ?

thanks.

I'm guessing 20' ..........hence the term 20/20 vision.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Can this be used as a simple home eye test  ?    and if so at what distance should I be from it to test  ?

thanks.

The chart linked in the OP is to be used at 5m (about 16'5") distance (yes, they do sell more, er, conventional ones).

The big plus of doing it yourself is that you can tailor your prescription to your exact circumstances, screen distance etc.

• Like 1