Three Lives Lost in Accident: Grandfather & Grandchildren on Motorcycle Hit by Truck

IMG_4979.jpeg

Picture from CCTV moments before the accident.

In a tragic accident today, a 60-year-old grandfather, along with his 2-year-old granddaughter and 15-year-old grandson, lost their lives when their motorcycle was struck by an 18-wheeler truck carrying sand. The incident occurred as the trio attempted to make a right turn from a side street onto the main road in front of the speeding truck.

The accident took place on the Nakhon Sawan-Chum Saeng road near Village 8, Thap Krit Subdistrict, Chum Saeng District, Nakhon Sawan Province. Upon receiving the report, Pol. Lt. Khamron Chanthit, Deputy Investigator of Chum Saeng Police Station, immediately rushed to the scene.

Emergency medical teams were quick to arrive, but unfortunately, due to the severity of their injuries, all were pronounced dead at the scene.

The scene of the accident, a three-way junction between the village and the main road, was chaotic. The 18-wheeler truck, bearing the license plate from Nakhon Sawan, remained at the scene, while the severely damaged Honda Nova Tena motorcycle, license plate from Phetchabun, lay on its side.

The truck driver, 56-year-old Mr. Chamnarn, stood nearby, visibly shaken. Police officers immediately took him into custody for a blood alcohol test, which returned negative results. He was then taken to the police station for further questioning.

CCTV footage revealed that the motorcycle, owned by Mr. Jin, the 60-year-old grandfather, was being driven by his 15-year-old grandson, with Mr. Jin sitting behind the 2-year-old granddaughter. They were on their way to a nearby school when they attempted to merge onto the main road, only to be struck by the sand-laden truck speeding from Nakhon Sawan.

During questioning, Mr. Chamnarn stated that he was transporting sand to a construction site in Nong Bua District. He claimed that the motorcycle suddenly pulled out from the side road just 100 metres in front of his truck. Despite his best efforts to brake, the heavy load made it impossible to stop in time, resulting in the fatal collision.

For now, Chum Saeng police have charged Mr. Chamnarn with reckless driving causing death. Further investigations will continue before the case is handed over to the court for legal proceedings.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-31

news-footer-3.png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

100 m away and not capable to avoid?

Did he honk the horn, flash the light?

It often amazes me that they wouldn't even use the horn to avoid a collision.

A 15 year old without the slightest awareness...

They can not wait for an empty road or sufficient space. With three people such a small bike won't go off like a rocket.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Agree 1

If you slo mo the second video, you can see the truck at an angle to the road entering the oncoming lane. The collision occurred in that lane. Had the truck stayed in his lane, maybe the accident would not have occurred. Just my thoughts.

IMG_1482.png

IMG_1483.png

• Confused 4
  • Agree 1

Its bad enough when "Thai drivers" pull out from a side road to merge into an ongoing lane. Have had a few near misses with that. But that 15 year old boy killed his grandfather and sister by trying to pull across the road and go in the opposite direction. No knowledge of how to drive or merge or anything. Seems lucky he made it to 15. 

• Agree 2

The OP mentions the truck was 'speeding' which generally means 'driving over the speed limit' but is there any proof of this?

In any case, you need to drive within limits to ensure you can brake in time... and if carrying a heavy load, this needs to be taken into account.

But so so sad for the little girl who did nothing wrong and had her whole life ahead of her.

• Like 1

Hey RS237, I agree with your thoughts. I am not apportioning blame here BUT maybe if there was adequate driver training like other countries re if say a dog runs out unexpectedly, one should try to stay in your lane as best as you can. Don’t follow the dog to the impact point. Overall very sad loss of life.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

CCTV footage revealed that the motorcycle, owned by Mr. Jin, the 60-year-old grandfather, was being driven by his 15-year-old grandson, with Mr. Jin sitting behind the 2-year-old granddaughter. They were on their way to a nearby school when they attempted to merge onto the main road, only to be struck by the sand-laden truck speeding from Nakhon Sawan.

1 hour ago, Phantom57 said:

If you slo mo the second video, you can see the truck at an angle to the road entering the oncoming lane. The collision occurred in that lane. Had the truck stayed in his lane, maybe the accident would not have occurred. Just my thoughts.

IMG_1482.png

IMG_1483.png

It is also a natural reaction to swerve Away in that situation.

For now, Chum Saeng police have charged Mr. Chamnarn with reckless driving causing death. Further investigations will continue before the case is handed over to the court for legal proceedings.

I feel sorry for the truck driver being blamed for a 15yr old kid pulling out in front of him, did the child even have a license ? I doubt that immensely. I hope this gets thrown out of court, and he is not expected to pay any compensation, It's bad enough the driver has to live his life remembering. An Experienced Truck driver V a 15 yr old M/C rider.

• Agree 1

Just a couple of points.  No sign of brake smoke from the truck. As the accident happened in the oncoming lane, the 15 year old rider had judged it correctly although a little fine.  Natural instinct to swerve doesn’t absolve you at all. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

IF the photo in the Article is a real capture from CCTV it would appear that 100m is a gross over-estimation....  and 20m was perhaps the space given. 

Then there is this...  such behavior seems so common, yet is so inexplicable.

Why oh why indeed.

Such needless loss occurring with such frequency - I know the underlying causes of so many incidents nationwide are multiple and varied - but surely better road education is towards the top of that list - Yet, why is the government doing nothing about educating its populace on basic safety... (rhetorical).

- Road safety

- Electrical safety

- Water safety

That won't stop all tragic incidents, but a education alone an surely save significant lives.

Some even many of the moves they make,such as pulling out without looking are beyond training,it's so fundamental that it can only be a matter of IQ.

They were on their way to a nearby school when they attempted to merge onto the main road, only to be struck by the sand-laden truck speeding from Nakhon Sawan.

17 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I didn't see where the Op said the truck was 'speeding' - nevertheless, its impossible for bystanders to judge speed in such situations - guesses are usually way off.

They were on their way to a nearby school when they attempted to merge onto the main road, only to be struck by the sand-laden truck speeding from Nakhon Sawan.

In a tragic accident today, a 60-year-old grandfather, along with his 2-year-old granddaughter and 15-year-old grandson, lost their lives when their motorcycle was struck by an 18-wheeler truck carrying sand. The incident occurred as the trio attempted to make a right turn from a side street onto the main road in front of the speeding truck.

There is so much wrong with this paragraph and the article itself. 

• How do you know the truck was speeding? 
  • Was the motorbike struck or did it try to get to the other side but didn't make it?
  • From the photo, it appears Grandpa lacks good judgment.
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Gobbler said:

There is so much wrong with this paragraph and the article itself. 

• How do you know the truck was speeding? 
  • Was the motorbike struck or did it try to get to the other side but didn't make it?
  • From the photo, it appears Grandpa lacks good judgment.

The details are taken from what the police reported of the incident. I have also seen the full CCTV of the accident, edited version is above.

Maybe you should try reading the OP and you will notice the 15 year old was riding the bike.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Georgealbert said:

The details are taken from what the police reported of the incident. I have also seen the full CCTV of the accident, edited version is above.

Maybe you should try reading the OP and you will notice the 15 year old was riding the bike.

I said Grandpa lacks good judgment. I am right. If the 15-year-old was driving, it only bolsters my opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Had there been an oncoming car, truck or school bus exactly at that point in time of the impact and the extra multiple deaths, whose fault was it? By the letter of the law, the Police see it that way as well and have charged the driver with reckless driving causing death. Had he stayed in his lane, there wouldn’t have been an accident. However this accident scenario would have been avoided had the 15 year old exercised better judgement. Where does the blame start and stop?

• Agree 1

A post breaking forum rules has been removed.

17. ASEAN NOW news team collects news articles from various recognised and reputable news sources. The articles  may be consolidated from different sources and rewritten with AI assistance These news items are shared in our forums for members to stay informed and engaged. Our dedicated news team puts in the effort to deliver quality content, and we ask for your respect in return. Any disrespectful comments about our news articles or the content itself, such as calling it "clickbait" or “slow news day”, and criticising grammatical errors, will not be tolerated and appropriate action will be taken.

• Agree 1