Renewing 2 year Temporary Motorbike Licence - Pattaya

bbi1

I have a 2 year Temporary Motorbike Licence which I got while on a METV. This 2 year licence is due to expire January 2025. I am currently overseas and probably won't be back to Thailand before this date.

1. Is it possible to get an agent to renew this to a 5 year licence while I'm not in Thailand and then the agent posts this licence internationally to myself?

2. I've read previously if you renew the licence AFTER it has expired, they will renew the licence for 6 years. Is this still correct? (My Birthday is in August)

3. If I come to Thailand and renew the licence myself, can I renew it in Pattaya on a visa exempt or do I need to get a tourist visa? Once renewed, will they issue a 5 year licence on the visa exempt or tourist visa?

4. What are the current requirements for renewing a motorbike licence? How long is the wait times?

5. Is it the same as before where you need to come TWO times, the 1st time to book an appointment and a 2nd time to submit the documents / get the licence? The 2nd appointment time you come is about a month after the 1st time you come to arrange the appointment date? Can appointments be made online these days rather than having to come in person?

Edited by bbi1

1) no, not legally. See 4) of course appearing in person is required

2) yes, and up to one year after expiry without extra effort.

"6 years": until the 5th following birthday. Expiry always on birthday.

3) can't tell for sure. Usually you always need a Non O or extension. Might end in getting another 2 year license. Visa exempt will make problems (this is where an "agent" might help but be careful with what prices they call)

4) can't tell about queue in Pattaya. Otherwise a health certificate (peanuts) is required AND some proof of residence which might be the hardest part when on tourist visa (no way on exempt). From what I read Pattaya is making own rules not even acception yellow book. Have to get res.cert. from immigration.

DL extension will require physical tests (color, depth perception ,reaction).

5) also for Pattaya locals, can't tell. Here I just walk in at 8 AM and walk out at 11 AM.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

You can renew up to a year after expiry, on your return you'll get another 2 years if on a tourist visa

The Pattaya office doesn't give a 5 year licence if someone's on a tourist visa or visa exempt when renewing their initial 2 year temporary licence? Why is that?

Can you also renew prior to the initial 2 year temporary licence expiring or does it have to be after it expired? I noticed in one of your previous posts you said "They wouldn't let me go early i had to go day after it expired". Anyone know if this still the case? 

Edited by bbi1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

4) can't tell about queue in Pattaya. Otherwise a health certificate (peanuts) is required AND some proof of residence which might be the hardest part when on tourist visa (no way on exempt). From what I read Pattaya is making own rules not even acception yellow book. Have to get res.cert. from immigration.

DL extension will require physical tests (color, depth perception ,reaction).

Proof of residence from Immigration - Has things changed from a couple of years ago? Before it was easy for people on tourist visas or visa exempts to get it, as far as they did their TM30 reporting when they entered the country.

5 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

3) can't tell for sure. Usually you always need a Non O or extension. Might end in getting another 2 year license. Visa exempt will make problems (this is where an "agent" might help but be careful with what prices they call)

Any recommendations on any other agents?

5 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Send an email to an agent, like Mots service.

They will be able to answer your questions.

Thanks. Will keep Mots in mind. Any other agent recommendations besides Mots?

Edited by bbi1

9 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

The Pattaya office doesn't give a 5 year licence if someone's on a tourist visa or visa exempt when renewing their initial 2 year temporary licence? Why is that?

You can only go from 2 to 5 if you don't have a tourist visa/exempt, as to why, it's some thai logic

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Need an non imm visa to get 5 yr renewal.

Edited by Ralf001
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Need an non imm visa to get 5 yr renewal.

Clearly stated.

And why?

A tourist/exempt can drive on his home country license or in combination with an IDP.

Why should they produce workload/bureaucracy for people who are in the country for a few weeks?

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Doesn't make sense to issue a 5 year licence to someone with only a 60- day permission of stay. 

• Agree 2

23 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Think yourself lucky you can get a 2 year licence.

I'm surprised Thailand gives any licence if you're only on a visa exempt or tourist visa. For a 60 day stay that's what the one year International drivers permit is for in most countries.

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Agree 1