Wife will be travelling when I need to renew my marriage visa

Next year my current marriage visa expires and I need to renew it again. The problem is that my wife's daughter is having a grandbaby at that same time and she really, really, really wants to be in the US for it. The expected birth falls a little while before the time I need to begin the renewal process and so she won't be able to go to the immigration office with me.

Do I have any options? Can I get some sort of extension on the marriage visa like for six months?

I guess I could let it expire and switch to a tourist visa until she returns, and then start the marriage visa process all over again, but that seems like a lot of work.

From what I've seen in this forum, she needs to be present the first time we go to the immigration office for the renewal.

Thanks for any advice.

6 minutes ago, davb said:

Can I get some sort of extension on the marriage visa like for six months?

Have you previously obtained a 60 day extension to visit wife? 

You could do that to push the renewal back by 2 momths

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

Wouldn't the wife have to go along to get that also?

Yes the wife would need to be with him when he applies for the 60 day extension.

Thinking he could apply early prior to wife leaving.

Depends on his dates and how helpful immigration would be. 

40 minutes ago, livram said:

A few years ago I was in a similiar situation. I went to Korat Imm and explained the situation and they let us do the extension 5 weeks early.

Don't follow.

5 weeks = 35 days. At Korat you could already do extension 30 days prior to expiry.

Immigration can be far more flexible than extra 5 

4 hours ago, bubblegum said:

Go out, come in on exemption and you got 60 days to sort things out.

He'd lose his Non Immigrant status, then have to apply for the Non O again in order to apply for the 1 year extension.

If he has to go out, he'd be better applying for the single entry Non Imm O, which grants him more time, and a stay of 90 days, then he can apply directly for the 1 year extension.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

He'd lose his Non Immigrant status, then have to apply for the Non O again in order to apply for the 1 year extension.

If he has to go out, he'd be better applying for the single entry Non Imm O, which grants him more time, and a stay of 90 days, then he can apply directly for the 1 year extension.

Nope. He'll just do an extent ion based on marriage. Done it myself.

• Confused 1

@davb

It would be helpful if you can post your extension renewal date (a permit of stay, not a visa) and the date your wife expects to travel to the US.

Babies arrive when they're ready, and rarely on the expected date.
My granddaughter just gave birth to a baby boy 5 weeks early, 5lb 5oz, both baby and Mother are fine.

1 minute ago, bubblegum said:

Nope. He'll just do an extent ion based on marriage. Done it myself.

If he goes out and returns VE as you suggested, he'll enter as a Tourist.

4 hours ago, bubblegum said:

Go out, come in on exemption and you got 60 days to sort things out.

Whilst he can apply for a 60-day extension, he cannot apply for the 1-year extension as a Tourist.
You must have Non Immigrant status to apply for a 1-year extension.

Which takes us back to my suggestion.

11 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, bubblegum said:

Well if you are right then I a a very lucky man because I've done it myself. The immigration officers must have had an hangover.

I am correct, as others will confirm.

Immigration order 327/2557, section 2.18

327-2557.Section2_18..png.12ae3c0402a1174360a377e999a61d64.png 

(1) The alien must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM).

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, davb said:

Do I have any options? Can I get some sort of extension on the marriage visa like for six months?

I guess I could let it expire and switch to a tourist visa until she returns, and then start the marriage visa process all over again, but that seems like a lot of work.

From what I've seen in this forum, she needs to be present the first time we go to the immigration office for the renewal.

1. Only a 60 day extension.
2. Not a good idea. Non Imm O a better option.

3. She needs to be present for a 60 day or 1 year extension.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Your advice is poor and you have not understood the OP situation. 

Don't have to listen to me. Not pretending to be the expert. But I've done it more than once. So "up to you" 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, bubblegum said:

Well if you are right then I a a very lucky man because I've done it myself. The immigration officers must have had an hangover.

So which immigration office is it, then, that's seemingly prepared to bend the rules? And how much extra might you have had to "donate" to their tea club for this purpose?

Edited by OJAS

4 hours ago, OJAS said:

So which immigration office is it, then, that's seemingly prepared to bend the rules? And how much extra might you have had to "donate" to their tea club for this purpose?

Phuket, no tea money

2 hours ago, patman30 said:

why not go to Savannakhet?

THIS.  Go out and get a Non-O there, instead of coming back on a Tourist entry.  For 5K Baht + proof of 400K for 2 months, can get the 1-year multiple-entry version, then have plenty of time, in case the wife is absent longer than expected, to stay with the new baby.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, bubblegum said:

Don't have to listen to me. Not pretending to be the expert. But I've done it more than once. So "up to you" 

photo's of stamps issued on a tourist/VE entry would be good

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, Liquorice said:

If he goes out and returns VE as you suggested, he'll enter as a Tourist.

Whilst he can apply for a 60-day extension, he cannot apply for the 1-year extension as a Tourist.
You must have Non Immigrant status to apply for a 1-year extension.

Which takes us back to my suggestion.

I think what the poster meant was come in and do conversion from exemp to Non O and then the extension.

I have heard of some offices doing it in one go, which has led some to talking about a 15 month extension.

With the 30 day visa exempt it would have been a bit tight for time, 60 days may be feasible.

All about when the wife will be away.

14 minutes ago, bubblegum said:

IMG_20240903_152940.jpg

Looks like a VE entry (no visa).

15 minutes ago, bubblegum said:

IMG_20240903_152954.jpg

Non O dated Sept30/9 - 30/12 which granted 90 days.

1 year extension based on retirement not Thai spouse applied for 17th December.

So from your 'Tourist' entry you did obtain the Non Immigrant O, then applied for the 1-year extension.

Topic is also about an extension based on Thai spouse, completely different process to retirement.

Congrats, you get this week's Darwin award!

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Liquorice said:

Looks like a VE entry (no visa).

Non O dated Sept30/9 - 30/12 which granted 90 days.

1 year extension based on retirement not Thai spouse applied for 17th December.

So from your 'Tourist' entry you did obtain the Non Immigrant O, then applied for the 1-year extension.

Topic is also about an extension based on Thai spouse, completely different process to retirement.

Congrats, you get this week's Darwin award!

A Non-O is a NON-O No matter what the reason dude. Same bloody process but just a liitle bit less paper word. Talking about Darwin. You always rude?