Need a Thai SIM card after arriving in Chiang Mai

I'll be flying back to Chiang Mai soon and need a need one of those SIM cards you can top-up and add funds to.
Where can I get one of those and how much do they cost and is there a minimum amount that you have to put on the SIM to start.  And how do you add money as you go?  I assume they'll want ID, so will a passport do? 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, ArcticFox said:

I'll be flying back to Chiang Mai soon and need a need one of those SIM cards you can top-up and add funds to.
Where can I get one of those and how much do they cost and is there a minimum amount that you have to put on the SIM to start.  And how do you add money as you go?  I assume they'll want ID, so will a passport do? 

You will find a few vendors in the Arrivals Hall or otherwise go to any &/11, your passport will do for ID, they may want an address, I'm not sure about that.

You can buy SIM cards from almost every phone shop, 7/11, Lotus etc. The card costs about Bht 50 and you top it up via phone app, bank app or one of those machines. At the airport, they will possibly try to sell you a rip-off tourist SIM.

Of course a passport will do for ID, what else do you think will do?

Edited by KannikaP
  • Agree 1

A passport is all the ID you need, and you can top up online, at 7-11, at ATM's or through the phone app.  You only need to work out what you want the SIM for, i.e., phone calls or data (or both) and buy an appropriate package, if you buy from the airport vendors there is some chance they may be able to sort you out with a reasonable package, buying in 7-11 you won't get that assistance. 

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, ArcticFox said:

If you go to an official service centre, the SIM costs 50 baht. The airport outlets will try to sell you a relatively expensive Tourist SIM. Best avoided. 7-11 will push you towards a TRUE SIM and contrary to what is suggested here, they do help to apply packages.

Best to apply a package to the SIM within seven days of activation or you'll miss out on new SIM promos.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/3/2024 at 10:07 PM, NowNow said:

If you go to an official service centre, the SIM costs 50 baht. The airport outlets will try to sell you a relatively expensive Tourist SIM. Best avoided. 7-11 will push you towards a TRUE SIM and contrary to what is suggested here, they do help to apply packages.

Best to apply a package to the SIM within seven days of activation or you'll miss out on new SIM promos.

If you buy a SIM what do you need to do to apply the package and activate the SIM.  Are the instructions in English?  A 7/11 True Sim would be fine. 

2 minutes ago, ArcticFox said:

If you buy a SIM what do you need to do to apply the package and activate the SIM.  Are the instructions in English?  A 7/11 True Sim would be fine. 

When a friend visitied - he went to 7-11... told them what he wanted the SIM for.. 

(Local Calls and data)...  purchased the SIM and a pre-paid package...  

The 7-11 staff loaded everything up for him and he was set (the staff in places like 7-11 are usually extremely helpful if they are not busy and over-run with customers and have a spare few moments).

• Agree 1

On 9/3/2024 at 10:42 AM, ArcticFox said:

7/11 50b for sim, passport needed. That's it.

2 minutes ago, ArcticFox said:

You register the SIM with your passport details, top up and then tap in the appropriate code or click through the appropriate link, for the package that you want.

You have to decide what it is that you might need.

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

When a friend visitied - he went to 7-11... told them what he wanted the SIM for.. 

(Local Calls and data)...  purchased the SIM and a pre-paid package...  

The 7-11 staff loaded everything up for him and he was set (the staff in places like 7-11 are usually extremely helpful if they are not busy and over-run with customers and have a spare few moments).

That doesn't mean that they will get the best package for their needs. It just means that they can apply A package.

The OP needs to state his intended usage/duration.

9 minutes ago, NowNow said:

That doesn't mean that they will get the best package for their needs. It just means that they can apply A package.

The OP needs to state his intended usage/duration.

Which he can ask in 7-11... 

i.e. I want 30 days... with phone use and 10 GB of data lasting 30 days etc...  (or something similar).

the info is there on the Websites too...    the packages are extremely cheap.

https://www.true.th/prepaid/add-on-package

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

i.e. I want 30 days... with phone use and 10 GB of data lasting 30 days etc...  (or something similar).

No, the promos for new SIM are not there. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/8/2024 at 7:54 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Just an example of the very many new SIM promos that you won't find behind your link: https://www.true.th/en/news/truemoveh/lvpack24/

That's why people ask here, rather than to be told to just go to an outlet...

I have a question about packages.  Just need a phone package but also need to be able to receive SMS.  I don't see SMS on any of these packages.  I always had access to SMS with phone packages in the past.  Too many choices which has me confused.  Do ya think these phone packages come with inbound SMS?  I don't need internet on the phone.  Just phone calls and SMS.  Think one of these will work?
Phone.png.99d75a5eb40edccb1386e36a0b06b208.png
Also, I'm going to need the SIM for a few months.  Correct me if I'm wrong but if I buy a 30 day phone package I'll need to top it up every 30 days to keep the number?  Looks that way. 

30 minutes ago, ArcticFox said:

I have a question about packages.  Just need a phone package but also need to be able to receive SMS.  I don't see SMS on any of these packages.  I always had access to SMS with phone packages in the past.  Too many choices which has me confused.  Do ya think these phone packages come with inbound SMS?  I don't need internet on the phone.  Just phone calls and SMS.  Think one of these will work?
Also, I'm going to need the SIM for a few months.  Correct me if I'm wrong but if I buy a 30 day phone package I'll need to top it up every 30 days to keep the number?  Looks that way. 

Receiving SMS are free. 

I've already linked to 90 day, 180 day & 360 day packages in the posts above. But if you don't need Internet, then you don't need a package. Just make a series of 20 baht top ups, at least three.

After 90 days, you can add validity to the SIM thus: https://news-trueid-net.translate.goog/detail/A0y4LppZgBJ3?_x_tr_sl=th&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc&_x_tr_hist=true

41 minutes ago, ArcticFox said:

If you just need phone calls, then after you do your three 20 baht top ups and within seven days of activating the SIM, dial; *900*1883# and then hit the Call button. That will subscribe you to an unlimited calls package(Free calls are limited to fifteen minutes per call. You can hang up and call back immediately)

Make sure you have at least 60 baht in credit if you want it to auto-renew the next month.

10 minutes ago, ArcticFox said:

What's a good 7/11 to go to where I'm most likely to find some kid who speaks English who will know what I want and can apply this package.

Just go to a True or Dtac shop and tell them what you want if you think that you cannot cope with a 7-11 shop with Thai staff who speak Thai.   It's not rocket science. 

If you have to have a SIM immediately, just buy a basic B49 SIM for calls from any 7-11 (neither you not the staff need to have any discussions), they register the SIM.   Stick in your phone and you're sorted once you put some credit on it.  If the SIM doesn't suit you, call the True or Dtac call centre or go to one of their shops to see what they can offer you as an additional package.

36 minutes ago, ArcticFox said:

What's a good 7/11 to go to where I'm most likely to find some kid who speaks English who will know what I want and can apply this package.

Phone.png.d37743ab699ad6f78aba61a0f305a90a.png

Did you not understand what I wrote?? Why are you wasting our time asking for solutions and then ignoring the advice?

Please explain why you would choose to pay 64.2 baht for 120 minutes of calls, when you have been advised that you can get UNLIMITED calls for 59 baht? 

I even explained to you how to apply the package. That's an annoying waste of my time.