Eliminating Teachers The UK's First AI-Powered Classroom

Social Media

image.png

London is set to witness a groundbreaking development in education as David Game College, a private institution, introduces the UK's first AI-driven classroom. This innovative approach, which eliminates traditional human teachers in favor of artificial intelligence, is both lauded for its precision and criticized for its potential to create a "soulless, bleak future."

image.png

Starting in September, 20 GCSE students at David Game College will embark on a learning journey guided entirely by AI. The system employs a combination of artificial intelligence platforms on computers and virtual reality headsets to deliver customized education. These platforms continuously assess each student's strengths and weaknesses, tailoring lesson plans accordingly. Topics that students excel in are scheduled for review later in the term, while areas where they struggle are addressed immediately. The result is a bespoke learning experience for each student, designed to maximize their potential.

image.png

John Dalton, the school's co-principal, highlighted the advantages of AI over traditional teaching methods. "There are many excellent teachers out there but we're all fallible," Dalton remarked. "I think it's very difficult to achieve [AI's] level of precision and accuracy, and also that continuous evaluation. Ultimately, if you really want to know exactly why a child is not learning, I think the AI systems can pinpoint that more effectively."

The cost of this cutting-edge education is steep, with each student paying approximately £27,000 a year. Despite the price, some students see clear benefits. Joseph, a GCSE student who has been testing the AI system, explained, "A teacher doesn't really know your flaws because he has so many students. So he doesn't know your flaws while the AI will figure out what your flaws are and help you improve."

However, students are not entirely left to their own devices. Three "learning coaches" will be present in the classroom to monitor behavior, provide support, and teach subjects that AI currently struggles with, such as art and sex education. One of these learning coaches, Alexander Vansittart, a former Latin teacher who worked with Special Educational Needs (SEN) students, expressed his enthusiasm for the project. "I got really excited about what this could do for young people, how it could help them change their lives. That's why I applied for the job; because I believe this will change lives," he said.

Despite the excitement surrounding this new approach, the concept of AI-driven education has sparked controversy. Chris McGovern, a retired headteacher and former advisor to the policy unit at 10 Downing Street, voiced his concerns. As the current head of the Campaign for Real Education, McGovern acknowledged that AI has a role in the classroom but argued that this initiative goes too far. "I understand why [schools] may push AI. For one thing, it's cheaper," he said, although David Game College disputes this, claiming the AI-driven course is not a cost-saving measure but actually requires more personnel.

McGovern's primary concern is the potential dehumanization of education. "The problem with AI and the computer screen is that it is a machine and it's inert, so you're straight away dehumanizing the process of learning, taking away those interpersonal skills and the interaction between pupils and teacher," he explained. "It's a soulless, bleak future if it's going to be along the AI path only."

While artificial intelligence is already being used in classrooms across the UK to enhance learning and assist with lesson planning, the extent of its involvement at David Game College marks a significant shift. The government's recent announcement of a new project to help teachers use AI more effectively underscores the growing role of technology in education. "Artificial Intelligence, when made safe and reliable, represents an exciting opportunity to give our schools' leaders and teachers a helping hand with classroom life," said Stephen Morgan, Minister for Early Education.

At David Game College, however, AI is not just offering a helping hand—it’s taking control. The implications of this shift will be closely watched, as educators and parents alike grapple with the question of whether AI can truly replace the human touch in teaching.

Credit: Sky News 2024-09-04

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-3.png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Social Media said:

Three "learning coaches" will be present in the classroom to monitor behavior, provide support, and teach subjects that AI currently struggles with, such as art and sex education.

I can see how an AI may fail to provide students with a "hands on practical learning experience" sex education. :giggle:

3 hours ago, Social Media said:

At David Game College, however, AI is not just offering a helping hand—it’s taking control. The implications of this shift will be closely watched, as educators and parents alike grapple with the question of whether AI can truly replace the human touch in teaching.

It can't be a worse education than I had- my teachers failed in every aspect of actually educating their captive audience.

Also, given that most these sad days seem controlled by social media, will AI in classrooms be any different from the reality outside the classroom?

I want to know what kind of accent the AI will use. Proper English, or will the AI have everybody talking in London slang, Indian descendant or un-understandable scottish ? 

Be honest if it makes migrants sound more English after 30 years of living in the UK, I'm all for its use 

• Haha 1

Eliminating Teachers The UK's First AI-Powered Classroom

Sounds like the AI enters the classroom and eliminates the teacher with a death ray.

But how to deal with morality?  E.g. will these things be making recommendations for genocide as a form of population control?