"Any foreign national who has a work permit in Thailand may now, work anywhere, for anyone"

A few years ago there was a news saying that "Any foreign national who has a work permit in Thailand may now, work anywhere, for anyone"
Does anyone have experience and knowledge about this?  I also haven't found any information that this change also applies to those working in BOI companies?

https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-law-royal-decree-blows-work-permits-wide-open-68051.php#0ukr0wlsRI6tIoQk.99

• Confused 2

My work permit (BOI), issued in 2019.

has company name listed.

Has province listed, but not the actual company address.

and permitted category of work.

I'd reckon  this does not allow me to work for any company in any position in any province.

• Like 1

I always thought you couldn't take a job away from a Thai person for example I have a CDL license here in Canada but when I come to Thailand if I was able to get a work permit could I drive tractor trailer?

27 minutes ago, iLuvThai said:

I always thought you couldn't take a job away from a Thai person for example I have a CDL license here in Canada but when I come to Thailand if I was able to get a work permit could I drive tractor trailer?

Is truck driving on the prohibited list ?

image.png.fb62e0579f57d858a58bb39a66c97eb4.png

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, JRG23 said:

I have worked for four years now with a digital work permit that has no fixed address. I am legally allowed to work from anywhere in Thailand.

What is a digital work permit. is it the same as a standard 'work permit'?

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

What is a digital work permit. is it the same as a standard 'work permit'?

DWP is, erm, a digital work permit. They no longer issue work permit 'books' - at least not for BOI-issued work permits

Yeah the DWP is great. Very flexible and easy. But the Thai authorities, I'm afraid, are not really up to date. They are wholly confused with anything digital and ask to see a book all the time, despite the DWP being issued by the Dept of Labour. You just have to do print outs from your phone and hand them the paper. 

• Haha 1

'not really up to date...'

Can agree with that. I've been through quite some pain to get my Social Security health benefits changed to the voluntary payments process after retirement (Section 39).

Had to be done through the local Social Security regional office here in Chiang Mai.

Local senior guy here is Chiang Mai (CM) asked for a copy of my visa showing the expiry date. I responded that I've had Thai Permanent Residence (PR) (for 27 years) which is for lifetime meaning it has no expiry date (but auto cancels on my death).

Response from CM senior 'Thailand does not have PR but anyway send a copy with the expiry date.

I called the Social Security hotline 1506 and eventually spoke to a polite pleasant lawyer in perfect English. She said she was not surprised at the comments from the CM senior office, because they receive no training or information whatever about any other aspects of Thai administration, policies, other ministries etc.  She kindly called the CM senior guy and explained what PR is, it's for lifetime, no expiry date.

I quickly then got an e.mail from CM guy asking for a copy of my PR book (expiry date not mentioned in his e,mail). 

Then fairly smooth sailing to get my membership changed to Voluntary Insurance / member pays every month.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, timendres said:

My WP issued in 2014, like @Ralf001's WP was very "specific".

However, someone showed me a more recent WP (cannot remember the issue date or when I saw it, but I think it was after 2019) that did not have all of those specifics.

And, if I remember correctly, the change to the law was not "just do anything you wish".

I seem to remember that it required approval by your primary employer and some other conditions.

But it did allow you to work for someone other than your primary employer.

Or work for your primary employer, but at different locations and in different capacities.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can confirm...

I got my work permit today in Bangkok (BOI).

It does not specify any address or province. Only the company name and the position i am working (right of work).

It's digital work permit

On 9/4/2024 at 7:06 AM, iLuvThai said:

I always thought you couldn't take a job away from a Thai person

Bar stool myth, if that were the case there would be no foreign English teachers. There is a list of prohibited professions, that is all.

On 9/4/2024 at 4:51 AM, timendres said:

My WP issued in 2014, like @Ralf001's WP was very "specific".

However, someone showed me a more recent WP (cannot remember the issue date or when I saw it, but I think it was after 2019) that did not have all of those specifics.

And, if I remember correctly, the change to the law was not "just do anything you wish".

I seem to remember that it required approval by your primary employer and some other conditions.

But it did allow you to work for someone other than your primary employer.

Or work for your primary employer, but at different locations and in different capacities.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can confirm...

That is correct!

• Thanks 1