Danske Bank Account Norway Being Cancelled Need Recommendations to get a Bank New Account

I am a British Citizen retired and living in Thailand for several years and I pay tax to both Thailand and Norway.

My home address in Thailand is registered with the tax authorities in both Thailand and Norway.

I have very recently received a letter from Danske Bank Norway stating that my Bank Account and Bank Cards will be cancelled on 8 November and that I need to find a new Bank.

I have been a loyal customer with them for 24 years the reason they are giving for this is that Nordea Bank in Norway is taking over Danske Bank Norway and that my account is not included in the sale and this is very upsetting.

They have not provided any other information so I have taken this issue to the highest level in Danske Bank Norway Country Manager also CEO in Denmark) and complained as previously they informed me that I would get a new Bank Account and Cards in Nordea Bank Norway.

Can any other Members recommend another financially strong overseas Bank that I could open an account with easily and use for sending my 5 Pensions into (3 from Norway and 2 from the UK) and then when required sending money from this New Bank into my Bangkok Bank in Thailand.

Would WISE be a possible good choice to suit my needs and easy to open?

Many thanks in advance for any help

• Sad 1

Yes, Wise is an excellent choice. If you want a Wise bank card you'd need an address in one of the approved countries, I don't think they send it to Thailand.

Not sure what bank account requirements Norway has for pensions, but subject to that there are a lot of solvent and highly protected German banks that have excellent internet banking and with whom you can easily open accounts. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, vibration said:

Would WISE be a possible good choice to suit my needs and easy to open?

When Barclays closed my UK accounts I arranged for my private pension and state pension to be paid directly into my Wise account and my wife's Wise account respectively. Then I transfer to my Bangkok bank a/c, or to my UK credit union, or pay for some goods/services directly from Wise.

However, I have read here that some pension providers will not pay into Wise.

• Like 1

Many thanks Chickenlegs I get my UK pensions fron the DWP and Legal & General do you have any experience with these UK Pensions being sent into a WISE Account.

I guess the DWP is the same as a State Pension and if so fhen no problem?

Left the UK in 1980 so have lost touch with most things.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, vibration said:

Many thanks Chickenlegs I get my UK pensions fron the DWP and Legal & General do you have any experience with these UK Pensions being sent into a WISE Account.

My State pension has been paid from the DWP direct to Wise UK for the last 5 years, and I have had no problem with either of them.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, vibration said:

Yes. DWP will definitely pay into your Wise account. In my case they pay into my wife's Wise account.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have now opened a WISE Account using the Mobile App. the Website Wise version did not work for me as it was impossible to verify my Passport Photo Page, etc.

I had to transfer 880 THB into the account which i did using my Bangkok Bank Credit Card without any problems.

Edited by vibration