The Bangkok River Level Thread 2024 - Post your images and local situation here.

Crossy

3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

The news reports from the north are pretty horrific 😞 

At least when it gets to us it's more like a slow-motion train wreck.

My wife has been doing food relief all week. The whole center of the city took  1.5 meters.

Slow motion is right, figure maybe 1-2 meters per second, all the way to Bangkok. It may take out a lot of bridges along the way. There is a lot of water heading South from Issan too, leftovers from the Typhoon.

• Like 2

Really nothing much going on for now.

Latest high-tide at Pak-Kret

image.png.2b50c73629c7e143bdeb16b86258cfbd.png

Meanwhile, Madam has determined that we are building a 50cm "flood wall" for our downstairs area. It's actually part of the plan to enclose the area but that bit has been accelerated "just in case".

A height of 50cm will take us over the level experienced in 2011 and is well above the 2022 flood level.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Really nothing much going on for now.

Latest high-tide at Pak-Kret

image.png.2b50c73629c7e143bdeb16b86258cfbd.png

Meanwhile, Madam has determined that we are building a 50cm "flood wall" for our downstairs area. It's actually part of the plan to enclose the area but that bit has been accelerated "just in case".

A height of 50cm will take us over the level experienced in 2011 and is well above the 2022 flood level.

Would you advise against a trip in from Cambodia by road over the next few days? Looks a bit gnarly.

On 9/7/2024 at 11:15 AM, Crossy said:

We do have a slight rise in level here, 1.5m below "worry" but not a whole lot of stuff happening at Pak-Kret (latest high-tide).

image.png.f90cdd4e8083d288c52185199618532e.png

I think it´s a great initiative that they put red color on the pole when water is running over the fence. That way, we all understand that is dangerous. What would we do without the red color? 🤣

Anyway, it looks like it has been quite stable and no need to panic.

Edited by Gottfrid

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

Friday evening high at Pak Kret and Mueang Pathum Thani.

Definitely a degree of upness, nothing to worry about yet.

image.jpeg.869777e581a838f9acc302c82b3449b2.jpeg

image.jpeg.58af9414c4f5f59ed54677ca1d66e424.jpeg

Thank you. Definite upness.

The pointers on the Mueang Pathum Thani camera refer to 2011 and 2021 and 2022 levels do you know? I think that's what it looks like but not sure. I know you just found a webcam so probably don't know more than what I see but maybe you have more knowledge.  If so it surprising that 2011 is not really significantly higher than  2021 and 2022 - I guess that shows how much the infrastructure has improved since? 2011 was truly dreadful.

46 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

If so it surprising that 2011 is not really significantly higher than 2021 and 2022

Yeah, that was my thought too.

In 2011 we had about 30cm of water in the house, sadly we were too far along with construction to raise our floor levels by much.

In 2022 the water just crept into the lowest parts of downstairs.

EDIT Madam indicates the water level post the 2011 flood.

image.jpeg.5ed9b8dc0344e4d2589d225902553765.jpeg

37 minutes ago, Crossy said:

In 2011 we had about 30cm of water in the house, sadly we were too far along with construction to raise our floor levels by much.

Yes, it's interesting, and I can only put it down to improvements in the infrastructure which have been quite significant since then (massive drainage tunnels etc). Obviously any water in the house is too much but progress is good.

And you still get people here moaning when water doesn't drain quickly enough after epic rainstorms, I don't think people realise how much Thailand has done in the last 10-15 years. When I moved here in 1995 Sukhumvit would regularly flood to a meter or so after a heavy downpour, it was almost normal. 

These days localised flooding is gone pretty quickly, I don't think any drainage system in the world can handle the volume of water that an intense monsoon can dump in one area in a very short period of time. It would definitely help if drainage paths were more regularly unclogged (and not done after the fact) but I can definitely appreciate and recognise the massive advances made here over the last 15 years or so.

Hoping your feet remain dry this year, and thanks for all the updates.

Level here in Ayutthaya is high but no reason for concern ( yet ! ) but can change quickly if excessive water released up north.

The Chao Phraya being the main culprit as formed by the joining of several other rivers ( Ping, Nan etc ) and right here in Ayutthaya also joined by Pasak river to head off in the direction of Bangkok via Crossy’s front room !! ( only jesting ).

Here you can see the Pasak ( right ) joining the Chao Phraya ( middle) to continue south ( left ).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

EDIT Madam indicates the water level post the 2011 flood.

image.jpeg.5ed9b8dc0344e4d2589d225902553765.jpeg

Just saw your edit with the picture of madam. Wow, that is serious!

In 2011 I was working with a film director who, on her personal time and money, rented a helicopter and flew all over northern Bangkok to show the authorities what it was like. She shot it with high end cinema cameras (Arri Alexa with Prime lenses if anyone is geeky and into that stuff). I wish I still had that footage, it was absolutely astonishing.

In 2012 I worked on a TV commercial for an "exclusive" housing project near Don Mueang - it was a Golden Land project but I forget the name. Right on a lake, stunning 20-30m baht houses, all of them had a water mark from the flood around 2-2.5m high which we had to clean off in post production.

Edited by josephbloggs

15 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

In 2012 I worked on a TV commercial for an "exclusive" housing project near Don Mueang - it was a Golden Land project but I forget the name. Right on a lake, stunning 20-30m baht houses, all of them had a water mark from the flood around 2-2.5m high which we had to clean off in post production.

I remembered - it was called Golden Land Grand Canal. And I found it hilarious because the commercial ended with their logo for "G Land", but no spaces so it was just "Gland". Titter.

I'll have to see if the commercial exists on YouTube....

Here's the project. Bad timing. Anyway, what a way to derail a thread, apologies.

I've marked where I remember the water line being on the houses before we removed them.

Screenshot 2024-09-28 at 11.11.45.png

Screenshot 2024-09-28 at 11.11.45.png

Edited by josephbloggs
  • Like 1

It was a well developed muban. Stilled called Grand Canal but back at the time of the floods the prices were in the 8-15 million baht range.  Now running 12-20 million. The owners cleaned and repainted the houses and life has gone on. 

Its not on a lake but a series of canals. The company that built this muban was excellent, they built new roads and landscaped the area once again after the floods. A very popular place to live and the residents are very happy indeed as it is still well maintained.  Pass it often and it looks great. 

36 minutes ago, marin said:

It was a well developed muban. Stilled called Grand Canal but back at the time of the floods the prices were in the 8-15 million baht range.  Now running 12-20 million. The owners cleaned and repainted the houses and life has gone on. 

Its not on a lake but a series of canals. The company that built this muban was excellent, they built new roads and landscaped the area once again after the floods. A very popular place to live and the residents are very happy indeed as it is still well maintained.  Pass it often and it looks great. 

Thanks. The lake was my memory playing tricks - I just remembered the water. The commercial was definitely shot after the floods as we had to clean off the water marks, maybe it was sold in different stages.

G Land are one of the good developers here so good to hear it is still well maintained. I live in a moo ban of another good developer here and it still looks like new after 15 years, the maintenance is excellent.