The Bangkok River Level Thread 2024 - Post your images and local situation here.

Crossy

The information we received about the further release of water from Chiang Dao this evening is not accurate, please disregard. My apologies, my normally reliable and trusted source was confused about what they were told.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NativeBob said:

those brick walls... Yes, during last BKK flood it was uber popular and brought lot of money to brickmen. Seriously - not funny 

It's actually a sandbag replacement system.

We get free sandbags from the local government due to our location (wrong side of the flood defences) but they come as a kit, a truck load of sand and a roll of bags.

Guess who ends up filling the bags??

Once rendered and painted it will look ok, add large (opening) windows on top and madam will be happy. I've already planned for more solar to run the A/C 🙂 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Guess who ends up filling the bags??

those days - I think everybody were busy filling those bags. I saw kids, volontiers and soldiers. After 10th bag the fun was over though. 

water-water >>> wasted furniture and Dengue. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DavisH said:

The water also comes up through your drains in the bathrooms. Pretty sure that happened in my house in 2011. Fortunately we only had 30-40 cm in the house but still caused a lot of mess and damage. I don't expect anything like 2011 this year. I don't live too far from the Pak Kret tide gauge. As you mentioned when the water gets to the top of the concrete edging, flooding can become more widespread (at u-turn bridges, and the Nonthaburi immigration!) The problem will be the high tides towards the end of the month (that will add a meter onto the current maximum height. Hopefully we won't get too much more rain adding onto it this month (traditionally the wettest month). 

Well you could attach some blue plastic pipe vertically onto your drain with a bit of silicon and block your toilet with a plastics bag full of water held down with a weight…got the idea …of course if you are talking quite a depth of water then probably you are <deleted> … 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

Well you could attach some blue plastic pipe vertically onto your drain with a bit of silicon and block your toilet with a plastics bag full of water held down with a weight…got the idea …of course if you are talking quite a depth of water then probably you are <deleted> … 

raising the drain with pipes sounds like good idea, had heard of some rare case where blocking the drain with bags of water or capping it off leads to the pressure causing leaks in the drainpipes often underground where it's hard to reach and fix later

On 10/9/2024 at 6:59 PM, JAS21 said:

I tried the pipe in the drain hole...silicone everywhere ...didnt work. I only know of one resident in my village who managed to keep the water out of his house...had pumps running 24/7 for like 6 weeks. It was just easier to abandon the place. The guards did stay the whole time though. Next time Id make more effort to move more stuff upstairs. 

On 10/9/2024 at 7:34 PM, digbeth said:

raising the drain with pipes sounds like good idea, had heard of some rare case where blocking the drain with bags of water or capping it off leads to the pressure causing leaks in the drainpipes often underground where it's hard to reach and fix later

If I had a decent plot of land to protect, and it was flood prone, I'd probably put a high dirt mound around the border of my property - leave it there permanently and let grass grow on it. This is what they did along klong Prapa in 2011 to protect Impact and Muang Thong Thani from getting flooded. Around this area and some parts of Pak Kret were among the few places to avoid getting flooded. A number of new villages since 2011 in my area were build on raised land (at least 1m higher than the road level. 

39 minutes ago, DavisH said:

If I had a decent plot of land to protect, and it was flood prone, I'd probably put a high dirt mound around the border of my property - leave it there permanently and let grass grow on it. This is what they did along klong Prapa in 2011 to protect Impact and Muang Thong Thani from getting flooded. Around this area and some parts of Pak Kret were among the few places to avoid getting flooded. A number of new villages since 2011 in my area were build on raised land (at least 1m higher than the road level. 

Klong Prapa now has concrete walls along its lenght now, I think it was only completed around the Covid so only recently, but I think it's to protect the water supply if the surrounding areas like muang thong floods,

but by the time the surrounding area floods the water upstream of kong prapa woud have flooded long ago, maybe they can close the floodgate upstream and at least have a few weeks of tap water for Bangkok, or water from up north is not as bad as flood water that's been through the sewers in Bangkok

8 hours ago, digbeth said:

Klong Prapa now has concrete walls along its lenght now, I think it was only completed around the Covid so only recently, but I think it's to protect the water supply if the surrounding areas like muang thong floods,

but by the time the surrounding area floods the water upstream of kong prapa woud have flooded long ago, maybe they can close the floodgate upstream and at least have a few weeks of tap water for Bangkok, or water from up north is not as bad as flood water that's been through the sewers in Bangkok

During the Big Flood … the area alongside Klong Prapa on Prachachuen road was earthed up more than a meter which prevented villages on Prachachuen Road from being flooded. Since then they have built a wall and now are increasing the strength of the wall.

The earth barrier continued across Chaengwattana road. Tesco Lotus side of it was flooded.

Makro, I believe, contributed a lot of money to keep the water in the Chao river in Pakkret area so that they could continue trading. We were lucky as we live in a village off Prachachuen Road

Edited by JAS21
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JAS21 said:

During the Big Flood … the area alongside Klong Prapa on Prachachuen road was earthed up more than a meter which prevented villages on Prachachuen Road from being flooded. Since then they have built a wall and now are increasing the strength of the wall.

The earth barrier continued across Chaengwattana road. Tesco Lotus side of it was flooded.

Makro, I believe, contributed a lot of money to keep the water in the Chao river in Pakkret area so that they could continue trading. We were lucky as we live in a village off Prachachuen Road

I know this beautiful wall all too well, its a real eyesore.

Unfortunately,  our area at Prachachuen is flooded anyway,  every time it rains.  We don't need water from Khlong Prapa to achieve this,  we can do it ourselves.  It's not that much  (less than 50 cm), though,  and it's usually dry again within 24 hours 

5 hours ago, Lorry said:

I know this beautiful wall all too well, its a real eyesore.

Unfortunately,  our area at Prachachuen is flooded anyway,  every time it rains.  We don't need water from Khlong Prapa to achieve this,  we can do it ourselves.  It's not that much  (less than 50 cm), though,  and it's usually dry again within 24 hours 

Out of interest, approximately  which area is that? I’ve never seen the road flooded