Petrol Station Scam in Bang Rakam Caught on Video, Goes Viral

snoop1130

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Leaving an engine turned on while filling up is a safety risk. It means more of the electrical circuits in your car are active, Petrol fumes and a short anywhere are not a good combination.

As our EV friends never tire of reminding us, an ICE fire is 60 times more likely to happen than in an EV.

The attendants smoke at gas stations in Vietnam (or at least they did a few years ago). 

Scared the life out of me.

Then they short change you. 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, bigt3116 said:

Bowser?

Forum English (US, UK, OZ, NZ ...) can be a challenge (particularly if not your first language).

Google to the rescue;

Bowser was one of the first companies to build petrol pumps.

For some reason it's THE word for a petrol pump in Australian slang (and maybe elsewhere)?

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

I park at the bowser so I can see the meter through my left rear window.

That's what I mentioned as a difficulty in a post above and earned a "confused" emoji for some reason. Often I have to twist my neck to the max 😀

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

This is an 'oldie'...  

What used to happen, is that the 'pump attendant' would not zero the pump which would continue to show the previous volume and price - i.e. 5 litres / 180 baht...   and then continue to pump a further 25 litres (into a car of course)...  charging for the 180 baht for 30 litres and profiting the 180 baht...

There used to be many comments on this forum about that, with naming and shaming of some notorious gas stations....   and the advice, always watch to see if the pump attendant zero's the machine.

It used to be a relatively common scam... certainly enough for there to have been a few threads on here in the past.

Pattaya used to be notorious for these scams.

• Agree 1

This is an 'oldie'...  

What used to happen, is that the 'pump attendant' would not zero the pump which would continue to show the previous volume and price - i.e. 5 litres / 180 baht...   and then continue to pump a further 25 litres (into a car of course)...  charging for the 180 baht for 30 litres and profiting the 180 baht...

There used to be many comments on this forum about that, with naming and shaming of some notorious gas stations....   and the advice, always watch to see if the pump attendant zero's the machine.

It used to be a relatively common scam... certainly enough for there to have been a few threads on here in the past.

Pumps auto clear so no reset is needed manually unless your pump is 40 years old

They often ask you to turn off your car when pumping gas - so yo don't see the gauge increase.

Its only after you turn on the engine again and wait for the gauge to recognise the increase in fuel or not, that its possible to tell - by which time many have driven off and not looked.

One of my previous cars used to take about 60 seconds for the 'fuel needle' to start increasing.

They ask you to turn off the car as a safety precaution since they are pumping fuel. 

12 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

The attendants smoke at gas stations in Vietnam (or at least they did a few years ago). 

Scared the life out of me.

Then they short change you. 

I remember in Vietnam a guy smoking in a boat, he was starting the engine and had just put fuel in.

He was smacking two bare steel wires together to start the engine, whilst smoking.

Also, the boat was about 1 foot above the water level when we were all in it, and the only life jackets were worn by the driver and his mate.

There weren't any for us.

When I pointed this out, he told us not to worry, he knew the water and did this job every day.

Just now, Dan O said:

They ask you to turn off the car as a safety precaution since they are pumping fuel. 

I always get out of the car these days and stand at the back with my eyes firmly on the fuel gauge, up here in the sticks.

Did you deserve it ??

Are you suggesting that all victims of scams now deserve being scammed ?

But first of all... who gets out of their car at a gas station in Thailand ???? - I never have.

Me!

I get out of the car.

There is another scam at smaller outlets many people are not aware of.

It involves adding water to fuels containing ethanol.

Ethanol blends are actually a mix of hydrocarbon, ethanol and water. The industrial alcohol added is an azeotrope, 95% ethanol, 5% water.

Adding water increases profit, as long as the single phase does not separate into two phases.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dan O said:

Pumps auto clear so no reset is needed manually unless your pump is 40 years old

At PT fuel station the pump attendant has to unmount the nozzle, then swipe an electronic tag before the pump is reset and can start dispensing fuel.

In other gas station I have seen that someone sitting in a cabin has to reset the pump after the nozzle has unmounted.

2 minutes ago, CallumWK said:

At PT fuel station the pump attendant has to unmount the nozzle, then swipe an electronic tag before the pump is reset and can start dispensing fuel.

In other gas station I have seen that someone sitting in a cabin has to reset the pump after the nozzle has unmounted.

I go to PTT every fill up and never see them have to manually reset anything. 

3 minutes ago, Dan O said:

I go to PTT every fill up and never see them have to manually reset anything. 

Maybe it is because you have vision issues, since you also couldn't read I said PT, which is not the same as PTT.

And in the bigger PTT stations the operator has to reset the pump. I even have seen they have to remind him to reset it, because they can't start pumping.

Maybe different in the jungle where you live. 🙂

Edited by CallumWK

22 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Forum English (US, UK, OZ, NZ ...) can be a challenge (particularly if not your first language).

British English IS my first language, not Australian or South African English where that term comes from.

23 minutes ago, CallumWK said:

Maybe it is because you have vision issues, since you also couldn't read I said PT, which is not the same as PTT.

And in the bigger PTT stations the operator has to reset the pump. I even have seen they have to remind him to reset it, because they can't start pumping.

Maybe different in the jungle where you live. 🙂

Your experience isn't all inclusive to every station in every location in the country. I never said PT and PTT are the same so read carefully next time before you blame someone else for your shortcoming. I related my experience and stand by it, not just at PTT but other stations as well. If your experience is different than you go with it.  No need to try to exercise your ability to be a keyboard warrior

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, simon43 said:
18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Did you deserve it ??

But first of all... who gets out of their car at a gas station in Thailand ???? - I never have.

I always do! I never sit in the car like some lazy, entitled guy.  I get out, chat to the pump attendant, count my wheels, that sort of thing....

You have concerns that when pulling into a Gas station you may not have the correct number of wheels on your car ???....     or is it just the practice of being able to count to four that you need ?  :giggle:

Most people stay in their car - thats neither lazy, or entitled - its imply normal behavior for the vast majority of society... except those who think they are 'salt of the earth inclusive characters' and which to engage across all spectrums of society... 

... Your epithet will read... "wonderful guy, he'd speak with anyone, even while counting to four' !!! 

3 hours ago, Scouse123 said:
18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Did you deserve it ??

Me!

I get out of the car.

Not me, not my Wife, not anyone else I see getting their gas 'pumped'... I'd just too hot to get out... 

So, you (and Simon) are clearly in a minority - not that it matters...   until people suggest that not getting out is 'lazy and entitled' (Simons post) which is really quite a pathetic suggestion... 

3 hours ago, Dan O said:
19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

They often ask you to turn off your car when pumping gas - so yo don't see the gauge increase.

Its only after you turn on the engine again and wait for the gauge to recognise the increase in fuel or not, that its possible to tell - by which time many have driven off and not looked.

One of my previous cars used to take about 60 seconds for the 'fuel needle' to start increasing.

Expand  

At some petrol statins they do, at others they don't.....  

I keep my AC on, unless they ask me to turn off the car, in which case I do so. 

I know someone will get up on their soap-box and start virtue signalling about the staff breathing in fumes, or being un-environmentally friendly while leaving the car running, or that leaving the car running presents a fire risk etc...   yadda yadda - thats just pathetic virtue signalling... 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Dan O said:

Its not an issue I have encountered... But the scam was one that was reported quite widely on this forum (when it was ThaiVisa.com) years ago...

One of the stations I recall that was complained about numerous times was a Shell Station on Sukhumvit road in Pattaya (maybe some members will remember those threads).

Those threads are still easy to 'dig out' from the annals of ThaiVisa history: 

Edited by richard_smith237

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Leaving an engine turned on while filling up is a safety risk. It means more of the electrical circuits in your car are active, Petrol fumes and a short anywhere are not a good combination.

As our EV friends never tire of reminding us, an ICE fire is 60 times more likely to happen than in an EV.

YAWN... OK...  Feel free to remain in the minority while others remain in the comfort of AC.... 

Perhaps we could 'turn off the ignition' and coast into the bay....  and then ask to be pushed out of the bay... y'know... 'cos those petrol fumes are so dangerous... 

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

YAWN... OK...  Feel free to remain in the minority while others remain in the comfort of AC.... 

Perhaps we could 'turn off the ignition' and coast into the bay....  and then ask to be pushed out of the bay... y'know... 'cos those petrol fumes are so dangerous... 

Or perhaps you could grow a few brain cells, and comprehend your actions are placing yourself, your family, and others at risk.

You can't bear to be without AC for the few minutes it takes to fill your car up?  What kind of snowflake are you?

19 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

At some petrol statins they do, at others they don't.....  

I keep my AC on, unless they ask me to turn off the car, in which case I do so. 

I know someone will get up on their soap-box and start virtue signalling about the staff breathing in fumes, or being un-environmentally friendly while leaving the car running, or that leaving the car running presents a fire risk etc...   yadda yadda - thats just pathetic virtue signalling... 

If you think that's virtue signaling then you have no clue what virtue signalling is and your using it out of context. Its recommended that you turn off any vehicle thats being refueled as a safety precaution 

1 minute ago, Dan O said:

If you think that's virtue signaling then you have no clue what virtue signalling is and your using it out of context. Its recommended that you turn off any vehicle thats being refueled as a safety precaution 

Yes... you are wonderful and virtuous for strictly adhering to suggested safety measures while no one else (mostly no one else) does because its so hot...       

If the risk of vehicles exploding while being refuelled was so great, the 'act of refulling itself' would be very different to that which we see today.... 

If the risk of vehicles exploding while being refuelled was so great, the same risk exists when the car is 'restarted' - in fact the risk is perhaps greater due to the electrical surge of the ignition being turned back on, starter motor turning etc... 

... But go ahead miss daisy... keep telling us about the dangers and what a virtuous rule follower you are !!! 

13 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Or perhaps you could grow a few brain cells, and comprehend your actions are placing yourself, your family, and others at risk.

You can't bear to be without AC for the few minutes it takes to fill your car up?  What kind of snowflake are you?

Really - you guys are hilarious... 

If refuelling of vehicles was so dangerous there would be numerous petrol station fires across the nation on an hourly basis...    

If refuelling of vehicles was so dangerous, we'd all have to exit the vehicle while it was being refulled by a 'trained professional' and have fire fighters on standby.

If refuelling of vehicles was so dangerous due to a cars operational circuit, we'd have to push it into place (with the ignition off).

If refuelling of vehicles was so dangerous due to a cars operational circuit, we'd have to push it away from the pump (with the ignition off).

You are really over egging the pudding with this 'putting family and others at risk' statements - If the dangers were as extreme as you suggest, things would be done very differently.

Think instead of buying into all the myths.

And yes, one of you will now post an example of a petrol station fire - but once digging, it will be found that there was another failure beyond the norm of simply filling up a car... 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Really - you guys are hilarious... 

If refuelling of vehicles was so dangerous there would be numerous petrol station fires across the nation on an hourly basis...    

If refuelling of vehicles was so dangerous, we'd all have to exit the vehicle while it was being refulled by a 'trained professional' and have fire fighters on standby.

If refuelling of vehicles was so dangerous due to a cars operational circuit, we'd have to push it into place (with the ignition off).

If refuelling of vehicles was so dangerous due to a cars operational circuit, we'd have to push it away from the pump (with the ignition off).

You are really over egging the pudding with this 'putting family and others at risk' statements - If the dangers were as extreme as you suggest, things would be done very differently.

Think instead of buying into all the myths.

And yes, one of you will now post an example of a petrol station fire - but once digging, it will be found that there was another failure beyond the norm of simply filling up a car... 

The #1 rule in most Western countries at a fuel station is to switch off the engine. Rules are not conjured out of thin air, they are there for a reason. Risk management.

While refuelling a car, gasoline vapours escape. They are heavier than air, and can travel considerable distances - more than 10 metres.

Obviously, you live in a perfect world where no attendant overfills the tank of a car.

I get it. You live in a country where people are stupid. They don't switch off their engines at petrol stations, or wear helmets when driving scooters.

Therefore, that entitles you to be stupid too.

Just now, Lacessit said:

The #1 rule in most Western countries at a fuel station is to switch off the engine. Rules are not conjured out of thin air, they are there for a reason. Risk management.

While refuelling a car, gasoline vapours escape. They are heavier than air, and can travel considerable distances - more than 10 metres.

Obviously, you live in a perfect world where no attendant overfills the tank of a car.

I get it. You live in a country where people are stupid. They don't switch off their engines at petrol stations, or wear helmets when driving scooters.

I don't disagree with any of information you are providing - but consider the 'reaction' somewhat over cooked and sanctimonious... 

... Do you really consider the act of filling your car with Petrol to be so risky that a running engine will be the difference between a fire starting and not ???

IF the risks were so high, we'd have massive fans dispersing the fumes...

The greatest risk is actually re-starting the car - which generates energy / electrical surges / spikes it is at this point there is a greater risk of 'ignition' but only in an environment where the LEL has been exceeded.

The real reason we are asked to turn of our engines - On some much older cars the fuel input could be close to the engine, the risk exists when fuel can leak onto a hot engine and ignite - the reality in this situation is that the engine is already hot, so whether the car is running is somewhat moot.

The realty is - these measures / regulations are in place for insurance purposes.... 

Thus: If you want to 'consider stupidity' consider the realities and real reasons... 

We are at far greater risk of an 'incident' on the actual road itself - the risk you are claiming at petrol stations nationwide is significantly over-egged. 

I understand your points - but would again direct you to my earlier comments that if the risks were so high - Gas station fires would be an hourly event nationwide and refuelling practices would be significantly different than those we currently utilise. 

I wanted to deal with this point separately: 

18 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Do these heavier than air gasoline vapours miraculously miraculously disperse the moment refuelling is complete and we re-start the car / turn the ignition ?

Or would you suggest that all petrol station forecourts have massive fan (bug blower) to disperse any 'heavier than air' gasoline fumes that have pooled around the vehicle ?

IF the risk of ignition exists during the process of refuelling itself, surely the same risk exists seconds after refuelling is complete and the car is re-started ??....  

I want to approach this debate from a scientific aspect rather than an emotional perspective - If parking attendants ask me to turn off the car, I'm happy to do so... The reason I don't usually bother is because I dont consider keeping the engine running to present any additional risk.

Also consider - If there were additional risk.. then the methods we use to refuel our vehicles are quite flawed...  of course, they are not, otherwise we'd see fires all the time.

Edited by richard_smith237

And... I want to deal with this point separately.

19 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Firstly, the people of Thailand are not stupid - thats an insult to the many highly intelligent folk here. 

But, I would agree that it a 'national habit' not to turn off the vehicles while refuelling.

There are approximately 44 million vehicles on Thailands roads, 11.8 million of which are family cars. 

Assuming a family refills their car every week - thats 613,600,000 refuelling events each year.

1.68 Million refuelling events each day...  the vast majority of drivers are not turning off their vehicle - then why are there no daily 'vehicle triggered ignitions events'  if the risk is as high as you are implying ???

Could it be that the risk is so infinitesimally insignificant - its virtually non existent ???

Driving the roads themselves present significantly greater risk to well being that leaving the engine running while filling the car and thus...    when placed in balance with other factors of far greater risk, the thought of one getting their knickers in a twist about turning off an engine while refuelling is as earlier mentioned, really over egging it.... 

19 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I wanted to deal with this point separately: 

Do these heavier than air gasoline vapours miraculously miraculously disperse the moment refuelling is complete and we re-start the car / turn the ignition ?

Or would you suggest that all petrol station forecourts have massive fan (bug blower) to disperse any 'heavier than air' gasoline fumes that have pooled around the vehicle ?

IF the risk of ignition exists during the process of refuelling itself, surely the same risk exists seconds after refuelling is complete and the car is re-started ??....  

I want to approach this debate from a scientific aspect rather than an emotional perspective - If parking attendants ask me to turn off the car, I'm happy to do so... The reason I don't usually bother is because I dont consider keeping the engine running to present any additional risk.

Also consider - If there were additional risk.. then the methods we use to refuel our vehicles are quite flawed...  of course, they are not, otherwise we'd see fires all the time.

It's quite probable the rules were evolved in a time when there was more risk. For example, cars had generators, not alternators.

It's a given attendants sometimes overfill vehicles. Most of the time, the vapor dissipates harmlessly.

The culture here seems to be one of not following some rules. Which makes the sight of Thais dutifully wearing masks, on scooters without helmets, quite comical. It took me three months of nagging to persuade my GF to wear a helmet. Now she does it automatically.

I am probably much more risk averse than you. That comes from working in a profession for many years, with chemicals that were so dangerous a single moment of carelessness could result in serious injury or death. I'm still here, i know several who are not.