Postal Worker Rescued After Falling into Abandoned Well in Pattaya

Georgealbert

IMG_5251.jpeg

Picture courtesy of SiamChon

A 40-year-old postal worker narrowly escaped serious injury after falling into an abandoned well late night, on September 6. Thanks to the quick actions of a female delivery rider who happened to pass by, the man was saved after spending nearly eight hours trapped in the well.

At approximately 09:00, on September 7, the Sawang Boriboon Thammasathan Foundation's rescue centre in Pattaya received a report of a man trapped in a well near the entrance of Soi Khao Talo 11, Nong Prue, Bang Lamung District, Chonburi. Upon receiving the call, rescue volunteers and the Nong Prue municipal prevention unit quickly rushed to the scene.

The well, which had been abandoned for years, is located about five metres from the roadside and rescuers found the exhausted man, identified as Somwang Khon Kaen, a postal delivery worker. He was standing waist-deep in water and covered in mud. 

Rescue teams used a rope and sling, attached to a cherry picker lift, and within ten minutes they successfully hoisted Mr. Somwang to safety. He was given immediate first aid before being transported to a nearby hospital for a medical check up.

Mr. Somwang recounted his ordeal, explaining that around midnight, while riding his motorcycle home, he stopped to relieve himself due to intoxication. He parked by the roadside and ran into a patch of grass to urinate but accidentally stepped into the abandoned well. The fall was cushioned by the water and mud at the bottom, preventing serious injury.

"I cried out for help for hours, but no one heard me. I tried climbing out but couldn't. I was stuck there for almost eight hours," he said, still shaken from the experience. It wasn’t until the morning when a good Samaritan, a female rider, heard his cries and alerted the authorities.

Tuktata Sawatdee, 41, who works as a ride-hailing driver for the Bolt app, was waiting for a passenger in the area when she heard Mr. Somwang’s faint cries for help. "At first, I couldn't tell where the sound was coming from," she explained. "I walked around trying to locate the source of the voice, and when I looked into the well, I was shocked to see a man. Once I gathered myself, I quickly called the authorities."

Thanks to the timely intervention of Ms. Tuktata and the rapid response of rescue teams, Mr. Somwang survived the ordeal with minor injuries, calling the incident a "miracle." However, the abandoned well has raised concerns about public safety.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-09-07

Cigna Banner (500x100) (1).png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

A 40-year-old postal worker narrowly escaped serious injury after falling into an abandoned well late night,

Postal workers don't work nighttime, he was probably navigating home from the bar.