Conor McGregor's Presidential Bid: The Fighter Who Wants to Lead Ireland

Social Media

image.png

Retired MMA star Conor McGregor has announced his intention to run for President of Ireland in 2025. Known for his outspoken personality and history in the octagon, McGregor’s declaration has raised eyebrows and stirred debate about the qualifications necessary to lead a nation.

The 36-year-old fighter took to social media to express his dissatisfaction with Ireland’s current political landscape, proclaiming himself the “only logical choice” to steer the country. “I would have all the answers the people of Ireland seek from these thieves of the working man,” McGregor boldly stated. His announcement, however, has been met with skepticism, as many question the seriousness and suitability of a former fighter aspiring to the highest office in the land.

McGregor’s career, marked by his success in mixed martial arts, does not include any prior experience in government or public service. His qualifications, as many critics have pointed out, seem to be limited to his prowess in the ring and his recent role in the remake of *Road House* alongside Jake Gyllenhaal. The idea that someone whose career has revolved around physical combat could effectively govern a country has left many wondering if McGregor’s candidacy is more of a publicity stunt than a genuine political endeavor.

Initially, McGregor was expected to return to the UFC, with a highly anticipated match against Michael Chandler at UFC 303. However, those plans were sidelined due to a toe injury he sustained during training. UFC President Dana White confirmed that McGregor would not be competing in 2024, leaving the possibility open for a 2025 return. This timeline coincides with his presidential campaign, raising questions about how McGregor intends to balance a political career with a potential return to fighting. Some have humorously speculated that McGregor might attempt to combine the two, perhaps by using his combat skills to physically challenge his political rivals.

McGregor’s presidential ambitions are not entirely new, as he has hinted at political aspirations in the past. However, the seriousness of his bid is now being put to the test. While his confidence and charisma have served him well in the world of MMA, leading a nation requires more than bravado and a fighting spirit. The prospect of a fighter-turned-president is a reminder that voters should be cautious of candidates who see politics as a fallback plan when other career paths falter.

As McGregor steps into the political ring, Ireland watches with a mix of curiosity and concern. Whether his campaign is a genuine effort to bring change to the country or merely another chapter in the colorful saga of Conor McGregor remains to be seen.

Credit: Vice 2024-09-09

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-4.png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rocketboy2 said:

Maybe best to stick to cage fighting.

Actually it's called Mixed Martial Arts. Do you call boxing "ring fighting"?

I think McGregor could do very well if he chooses to stand. He is a very charismatic individual who is a bit of a cult hero in Ireland. Not my cup of tea, but he certainly addresses the concerns of a lot of ordinary Irish people who have been badly let down by previous leaders.  

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

Actually it's called Mixed Martial Arts. Do you call boxing "ring fighting"?

I think McGregor could do very well if he chooses to stand. He is a very charismatic individual who is a bit of a cult hero in Ireland. Not my cup of tea, but he certainly addresses the concerns of a lot of ordinary Irish people who have been badly let down by previous leaders.  

I did change it. :coffee1:

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, rocketboy2 said:

Give you 500 baht if you tell him

It's like I take him snowboarding, solo climbing or base jumping from a mountain going in to a physical conflict with him. 

Well if the Irish wants a cave man for president, you get what you deserves.

I bet the he is a great example even for the Catholics 

• Haha 1

him or any career politician for decades,  any difference ?

the politicians and now their sons and daughters are in it for the BENEFITS, good pay, golden pension, easy work compared to general population

playing santa claus with tax payer's money is easy 

On 9/9/2024 at 8:30 AM, Social Media said:

Known for his outspoken personality and history in the octagon, McGregor’s declaration has raised eyebrows and stirred debate about the qualifications necessary to lead a nation.

Oh dear, people see President and think it's like POTUS. It's not. It's a mainly ceremonial position with some political power. Think more along the lines of the British crown.

https://president.ie/en/the-president/constitutional-role

19 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Expect lots of negative media articles about McGregor to surface shortly, no doubt including lots of references to the "far right". 

Beating up an old guy in the pub, cocaine use. Behaving like a moron in the USA when attacking a bus.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Beating up an old guy in the pub,

He hardly beat him up. He flicked a hand into him. The guy didn't even bother getting up off his barstool, just carried on sipping his drink. It was a very stupid thing to do, but let's not pretend he beat him up. I mean, it's not like he removed his winter fuel allowance and let him freeze to death. 

cocaine use.

Alleged cocaine use. 

Behaving like a moron in the USA when attacking a bus.

When in Rome...

Seriously though, that was part of a MMA fight promotion, fighters often do silly things to promote a fight. 

Like I said he's not my cup of tea, but Ireland has far bigger social issues right now than the fact a potential President once got into a bar scuffle. It's not like he was drink driving like VP pick Walz.

I'd certainly like to see him run. It would be good to see a straight talker like him highlighting the issues that Ireland faces right now. 

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

He hardly beat him up. He flicked a hand into him. The guy didn't even bother getting up off his barstool, just carried on sipping his drink. It was a very stupid thing to do, but let's not pretend he beat him up. I mean, it's not like he removed his winter fuel allowance and let him freeze to death. 

Alleged cocaine use. 

When in Rome...

Seriously though, that was part of a MMA fight promotion, fighters often do silly things to promote a fight. 

Like I said he's not my cup of tea, but Ireland has far bigger social issues right now than the fact a potential President once got into a bar scuffle. It's not like he was drink driving like VP pick Walz.

I'd certainly like to see him run. It would be good to see a straight talker like him highlighting the issues that Ireland faces right now. 

Few more: A Timeline of Conor McGregor's Controversies, Arrests, and Allegations (rollingstone.com)

• Like 1