Air conditioner is dripping water, is that normal?

Jeff Reinstad

11 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

How do you do that?

I don't know what he meant by "blowing through", a bit risky if not done from the inside.

I have had a blocked drain pipe on occasions and I made an attachment from bits of pipe and tubing for the vacuum cleaner and sucked it clear.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

How did you unblock it?

Different Ways to Unclog Drain Lines in Your AC
  1. Plunger Method. ... 
  2. Use a Wet/Dry Vacuum. ... 
  3. Pour One Cup of Vinegar Down the Drain Line. ... 
  4. Pour One Cup of Bleach Down the Drain Line. ... 
  5. Blow Air Through the Line. ... 
  6. Flush Clean Water Through It. ... 
  7. Use Chemical Drain Cleaners. ... 
  8. Use an Electric Snake.

Obviously some of these really would not work or be difficult. There are also YouTube videos on how to do it.

I would use 5 or 6.

I have use a water hose to push  water back up through drain but you have to be careful not too much pressure or flow to blast it into indoor unit. If it clears water just in catch tray and flows back out when you remove water hose.

Edited by Dazinoz
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:
  • Pour One Cup of Vinegar Down the Drain Line. ... 
  • Pour One Cup of Bleach Down the Drain Line. ... 

Solid advice...............if you want to die quickly.

https://www.today.com/health/bleach-and-vinegar-rcna66977

Mixing vinegar and bleach together releases a poisonous chlorine gas, which can be fatal if inhaled at high enough concentrations.

2 hours ago, Will B Good said:

How do you do that?

Look at mine I have attached a hose, but initially that was to take the water away from the concrete as weeds and ivy would grow into the outside unit, one time a slimy dead Jinn jock came out Yuk.

IMG_20240909_132319.jpg.5a193d5f41a6f8bf3da279a1f979dce7.jpg

18 hours ago, Jeff Reinstad said:

I lived here for a long time without air conditioning, but during the last heatwave, I decided to buy one at GlobalHouse. Some guys came over the next day to install it.

Since day one, it’s been dripping water, and every morning there's a big puddle underneath. As it’s installed directly under our patio door, it’s become a problem.

Is this something normal, like condensation, and nothing can be done about it? Or is it something I should complain about that can be fixed?

2024-09-08_225513.jpg.fd0d3ad21e8267a2dc15d87a633300b4.jpg

That is not normal ..     there are brass fitting and bleed valves that might be loose    ..  would explain why the connection cover looks moldy    the condensation drain hose would be on the left side of that unit ..  if you did not have one,  water would be draining into your room inside

• Like 1

It is the outside unit, so you only can have water dripping, if some cold items arent insulated.

The air, in outside unit is cooled down then and you get condensation, water, dripping down.

So on outlet pipes to inner unit where it should cool then over there.

Did they forget to insulate the pipes, connections from compressor in the outside unit? Or is it broken?

Only then you get condensation.

OK, just saw the pic, enlarged

There is an insulation box on the outside, for the connections of the unit, but maybe not sealed.

Cant see clear. IF there is a gap between insulating box and housing, every time outside air is getting in and condensed.

SO you could seal it with a kit, or have it done, as it is just new and then not proper done.

If that one is sealed, then inside connections arent good insulated.

It can cool down the housing, showing the condensation as on your pic. You can feel if it is real cold then.

The latter could be the very possible issue, is my guess, looking at your pic.

As the condensation is on the right with the connections. Easy to determine, feel.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

no condensation drain line?

The OP's picture is of the external unit so no drain pipe.

This problem is in need of an expert AC engineer since it could be serious in terms of AC units.

Call the man in from the shop installation company. 

14 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

The OP's picture is of the external unit so no drain pipe.

This problem is in need of an expert AC engineer since it could be serious in terms of AC units.

Call the man in from the shop installation company. 

Look at this pic from a previous post. As I understood the condensation comes out from the indsode air we are cooling and de-humidifying, and is channeled outside by the tube or pipe. I have moved into a rental years before that was leaking inside. Of course it had been all gummed up with scum and mold. 

I get my AC cleaned as frequently as needed  to avoid such issues. My main Mitsubish in Chiang Mai  has been sitting on a balcony for  near 16 years. No maintenance other than cleaning the internal unit.  Ice cold, no inside leaks. I hear Daikin is good too. 

IMG_4997.jpeg

Edited by Captain Monday

On 9/9/2024 at 3:23 PM, Will B Good said:

How did you unblock it?

I used an antenna cable, also poured water in from the other side and it returned some slimy stuff. After that I made sure the drain was not completely horizontal. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1