Congress Faces Intensifying Battle Over Government Funding as Shutdown Looms

Social Media

image.png

As the September 30 deadline to avert a government shutdown looms, Congress is facing significant internal conflicts, particularly among Republicans, which could lead to a prolonged funding battle. Both parties are firmly entrenched in their positions, with some Republicans even expressing doubts about their own party's strategy as government funding is set to expire in less than a month.

Lawmakers returned to Washington with the urgent task of preventing a shutdown. While the upcoming elections might reduce the likelihood of a funding lapse, the debate is expected to be contentious. House Republicans, led by Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.), unveiled a plan that ties a six-month stopgap funding measure, also known as a continuing resolution (CR), to legislation that demands stricter proof-of-citizenship requirements to register to vote. "Today, House Republicans are taking a critically important step to keep the federal government funded and to secure our federal election process," Johnson declared, emphasizing the necessity of ensuring that "only American citizens can decide American elections."

In recent months, conservatives have increasingly called for a stopgap that extends beyond December, anticipating the potential return of former President Trump to the Oval Office in January. Their goal is to avoid a massive end-of-year omnibus spending bill. Despite the urgency, Johnson's plan has already faced skepticism within his own party. Some Republicans caution against assuming the outcome of the November elections, with concerns about burdening a newly elected Congress with a complex appropriations process. One House Republican voiced concerns about the challenges for newly elected members who may lack understanding of the appropriations process, especially with the debt limit also looming in January.

Additionally, there are doubts about the wisdom of attaching the Safeguard American Voter Eligibility (SAVE) Act to the CR, given the strong likelihood that the Democratic-controlled Senate will reject it. Rep. Matt Rosendale (R-Mont.) criticized Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.), accusing him of wanting "illegals to vote in American elections." Rosendale argued that Republicans should focus on passing all 12 appropriations bills, rather than pursuing a strategy that is likely to fail.

Despite the internal divisions, some Republicans, like Rep. Chip Roy (R-Texas), who is the lead sponsor of the SAVE Act, are pushing for the GOP to unite and move forward. Roy emphasized the need for the party to strategize effectively over the next two months, stating, "But we got to figure out what we’re going to do about government funding, and we got to figure out what we’re going to do about picking a fight that differentiates us from Democrats."

Democrats have strongly opposed the GOP’s plan, with Shalanda Young, director of the White House’s Office of Management and Budget, accusing Congressional Republicans of wasting time. Young emphasized that there is a clear, bipartisan path to responsibly fund the government, warning that the proposed six-month CR ignores pressing needs that could have severe consequences for defense, veterans, and communities.

The funding battle also coincides with concerns from both parties over a $3 billion budget shortfall facing the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). This shortfall, largely attributed to the PACT Act, a landmark law passed in 2022 that expanded VA health care, could disrupt benefit payments for millions of veterans and survivors in October if Congress does not act by September 20. Sen. John Boozman (R-Ark.), the top Republican on the subcommittee responsible for VA funding, acknowledged the urgency of addressing the shortfall, expressing a desire to ensure veterans do not miss critical payments.

Credit: The Hill 2024-09-10

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-4.png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, animalmagic said:

You ask a poster expressing his opinion to provide proof and links?!

LOL! Just what I was thinking. 

For the record, it was longer than his usual posts and contained less spelling errors. So there's some validity to questioning whether it was Tug himself who wrote it. Maybe he dictated the first sentence to his grandchild or something?

It's like debating with children. They observe that when they make unsubstantiated factual claims we often demand links for evidence, so think that's what you do whenever you hear something you don't agree with.

• Thumbs Up 1

No funding should be given to ANY party that does not have a plan to reduce the insane US debt , which currently stands at : 

US debt : $35,360,000,000,000

US debt per person - $104,000

US debt per tax paying citizen : $270,000

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

42 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

No funding should be given to ANY party that does not have a plan to reduce the insane US debt , which currently stands at : 

Haha make that Thai baht and it is more here. hmm... Government debt and household debt are rising everywhere. It cost a lot to live now. More than the average person makes in their lifetime. 

1 hour ago, JCauto said:

LOL! Just what I was thinking. 

For the record, it was longer than his usual posts and contained less spelling errors. So there's some validity to questioning whether it was Tug himself who wrote it. Maybe he dictated the first sentence to his grandchild or something?

It's like debating with children. They observe that when they make unsubstantiated factual claims we often demand links for evidence, so think that's what you do whenever you hear something you don't agree with.

I provided 2 examples for you and I’m sorry for my lousy grammar and spelling I had a rough start in life so what it’s all good now

• Thumbs Up 1

More smoke and mirrors. They have the printing press and not a sole complains about it's continuous use. Go back on the gold standard to control these reckless, irresponsible politicians, all of them.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Don’t confuse plan with outcome.

Easily made simplistic plans to solve complex problems never produce the outcome they promise.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Tug said:

In my opinion I think what trump tells them to do will determine what happens.Thats not because a majority of the republican congress want to or what they think the best way forward is……it’s out of fear of their own electorate one mean tweet from trump and they are toast.they know and fear it.Its a truly sad position to be in and if trump loses a good many will breath a sigh of relief.

I certainly think that was the case until the candidates "down ballot" were decided - Trump certainly wielded the tremendous influence you describe over the various primary and selection processes. Now perhaps not, if he disowns Republican candidates then that may rather open the field to their Democrat rivals. Mind you, I am not sure that his thought process would go that far!

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, koolkarl said:

More smoke and mirrors. They have the printing press and not a sole complains about its continuous use. Go back on the gold standard to control these reckless, irresponsible politicians, all of them.

Start with the big numbers.

Trillions piling up in the accounts of the hyper wealthy at cost to the nation.

The prosperity of all Americans was at its highest in the decades before neoliberalism funneled the nation’s wealth into the hands of the few.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Tug said:

I provided 2 examples for you and I’m sorry for my lousy grammar and spelling I had a rough start in life so what it’s all good now

Sorry Tug, my post wasn't clear. I was poking fun at Thesestat2013 for demanding links proving that you thought what you thought as if you could somehow substantiate your own opinion with outside evidence...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thesetat2013 said:

What an unthought about and ridiculous statement to make. With nothing to show as proof. Attach links to this please. Otherwise it is a baseless Anti-Trump rhetoric created in your own mind. 

How about history? He certainly did exactly that with the bipartisan immigration bill. Wanted to use immigration as a campaign issue. Now? Wants to use voting as an issue when we had the documented safest, most secure election ever in 2020. Confirmed by the numerous court cases that all failed to present evidence of voting fraud. Using a non-issue to threaten another gov't shutdown.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, JCauto said:

Sorry Tug, my post wasn't clear. I was poking fun at Thesestat2013 for demanding links proving that you thought what you thought as if you could somehow substantiate your own opinion with outside evidence...

No worry’s I have a thick Hyde anyway lol 😝 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, animalmagic said:

You ask a poster expressing his opinion to provide proof and links?!

There do exist "hints" as to potential foreign or domestic enemy postings.

1 hour ago, Wrwest said:

There do exist "hints" as to potential foreign or domestic enemy postings.

The post I referred to has no hints as to potential foreign or domestic postings. 

From Tug - 'In my opinion I think what trump tells them to do will determine what happens.Thats not because a majority of the republican congress want to or what they think the best way forward is……it’s out of fear of their own electorate one mean tweet from trump and they are toast.they know and fear it.Its a truly sad position to be in and if trump loses a good many will breath a sigh of relief.'

10 hours ago, Social Media said:

Lawmakers returned to Washington with the urgent task of preventing a shutdown. While the upcoming elections might reduce the likelihood of a funding lapse, the debate is expected to be contentious. House Republicans, led by Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.), unveiled a plan that ties a six-month stopgap funding measure, also known as a continuing resolution (CR), to legislation that demands stricter proof-of-citizenship requirements to register to vote. "Today, House Republicans are taking a critically important step to keep the federal government funded and to secure our federal election process," Johnson declared, emphasizing the necessity of ensuring that "only American citizens can decide American elections."

When asked about a fall back plan by a reporter,Mike responded there is no fall back plan!Its a righteous cause,

A CR that ties spending & proof of citizenship to register to vote.

This cause puts pressure on dems to solidify election integrity. Imop

He says “illegal Immigrants voting could throw the Election “

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

But produces zero evidence to back his baseless claim.

Thereby piling up the meat on the "nothing-burger" of evidence of pretty much anything they claim about the elections and voting. Imagine if instead they focused on creating policy that was popular amongst the populace? But of course, they never would, their "Big Tent" has a minimum wealth requirement of 9 zeros.

• Agree 1