Is the Tax compliance going to be linked to Visa issuance ?

Of course it is.

My latest suspicion is that all long term extensions that potentially 180+ not renewed unless accompanied by Thai tax form. At CW they will have a pre check.

Others that just fall 180 days+ due to accrual will be trickier. Expect a cursory check and 'reninder' to file note placed inside the ppt

I expect revenue office to have staff at the larger immigration locations. In Nakon Nowhere they'll just ask for tax form for all O, B extensions.

Way too simple to check this way and government gets to waste more money on yellow shirt jobs.

I smelled this coming months ago. It's the easiest way and in my opinion the 'Thai' way to enforce compliance

Decades ago you needed a tax clearance to depart asked for a rarely for staying over 180 days. Back in those sleepy days immigration still bothered with that. So, there must be something already set up in that regard as well

One thing that I'm taking in from the Thai media is that the new government as well as the revenue department or did serious about collecting this money from us. They are truly champing at the bit. Gotta pay for all the free giveaways and vote getters

On 9/10/2024 at 3:28 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

Thais don't need to complete a tax return and don't need a visa/extension to live here; so, no.

They have to pay taxes by whatever mechanism the government designates. Not having to file is not the same as not paying.

On 9/11/2024 at 12:32 PM, CANSIAM said:

Like you said, a step too far, what they can do is leave the folks alone that have to park 400-800k here yearly.........

You have not forked out anything, you just deposited your money in your Thai account. If you leave, you are free to take it with you. Stop whining.

• Confused 1

'Gifts', sending wife money doesnt matter we are definitely being taxed on WW income.

I guess to this end purchasing a condo or an automobile or any other depreciating asset like that - point is moot as well because whether the money stays out of the country or comes in you're still getting taxed.

When I first suggested couple months ago that there was always the possibility the Thais might actually engage their brains and tie in ongoing taxation issues with visa renewals the laughter and mirth was loud lol

The penny is dropping that the shight could just hit the fan here for some and that 179 days only "incountry" could be inbound in short order for more than a few

1 hour ago, Chadnik said:

'Gifts', sending wife money doesnt matter we are definitely being taxed on WW income.

I guess to this end purchasing a condo or an automobile or any other depreciating asset like that - point is moot as well because whether the money stays out of the country or comes in you're still getting taxed.

This is not yet the case.

It may (probably soon) become the law.

@sometimewoodworkerhas been told, probably in 2026, 2027, 2028. 

I find this realistic. 

1 minute ago, Chivas said:

When I first suggested couple months ago that there was always the possibility the Thais might actually engage their brains and tie in ongoing taxation issues with visa renewals the laughter and mirth was loud lol

The penny is dropping that the shight could just hit the fan here for some and that 179 days only "incountry" could be inbound in short order for more than a few

Yep same here……posted months ago that the link was obvious….oh no….told I was an idiot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cjinchiangrai said:

You have not forked out anything, you just deposited your money in your Thai account. If you leave, you are free to take it with you. Stop whining.

my point went over your head obviously, nobody whining here........ 

Just now, CANSIAM said:

my point went over your head obviously, nobody whining here........ 

This whole thread is silly. They can check visas if they want. They can impose taxes if they want. There is nothing we can do about it but comply or leave. Without actual filing and withholding rules, we do not know. All we can do is wait.

Just now, cjinchiangrai said:

This whole thread is silly. They can check visas if they want. They can impose taxes if they want. There is nothing we can do about it but comply or leave. Without actual filing and withholding rules, we do not know. All we can do is wait.

Correct, remain calm... like another poster stated -  add a non-compliance tax bribe to the list......😉 

2 hours ago, Lorry said:

This is not yet the case.

It may (probably soon) become the law.

@sometimewoodworkerhas been told, probably in 2026, 2027, 2028. 

I find this realistic. 

@Lorry The legislation is being drafted. It will not be implemented in 2026. The British chamber of commerce along with the American chamber of commerce are, or will be, lobbying on the exact details.

2027 is the earliest possible date due to the fact that it isn’t yet drafted and after drafting it must go through parliament etc. 

Until implementation of WW taxation, sending otherwise assessable income as gifts in the correct way with the correct documentation is legitimate tax avoidance and depending on your available funds to transfer can save millions. In 2024, 2025 & 2026 sending to one family recipient could avoid up to 21 million in tax, more if you have more than 1 person to receive and have enough to give.

Personally I will be saving more in tax and hassle than I have spent on advice and legal fees, also the WW changes will have little effect and the gift route will still be effective for my personal circumstances.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

correct documentation

@CapraIbex has written 

a 'monetary gift contract' drafted by a Thai lawyer, specifying that the gift is genuine and intended solely for my wife's benefit, and detailing the purpose of the gift (such as purchasing government or corporate bonds, a car, building a house, or anniversaries) with my wife also drafting a 'gift acceptance contract,' "

I would add the occasion of the gift (even if not necessary between spouses, according to the letter of the law), and have gift contract for each gift.

As far as you know, would that be sufficient?

26 minutes ago, theblether said:

4. If any of you think the way to beat this new taxation system is to send money to your wife's account ( as a gift )  and to pay your living expenses from that money, that is totally illegal and has been for years. That is tax evasion. 

Unless there's a bank to bank transfer of the gifted amount from wife to husband, this is practically unenforceable. Among other workarounds, wife handing cash to husband for daily expenses is untraceable.

Rules that cannot be enforced are not well thought to say the least.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, theblether said:

Okay - your "students." Forum members should be aware, and I will make this clear as it's a matter of law. I'm going to write this in short sentences so there's no space for confusion. 

1. If you gift money to your spouse, you have forfeited any claim to that money. Under Thai law, it's gone, forever. 

2. So lets forget this fanciful and extreme talk of "20 million baht tax exempt."  If you gift enough money to pay for a house, and use gifting as the method, you have lost all claim to the subsequent house value. 

Which would be an act of financial self harm. 

3. You are not allowed to receive any benefit from the gift money. That would be regarded as tax evasion. 

4. If any of you think the way to beat this new taxation system is to send money to your wife's account ( as a gift )  and to pay your living expenses from that money, that is totally illegal and has been for years. That is tax evasion. 

5. I have met some stupid people in my life. If any of you believe that in the event of a tax investigation your wife's account won't be inspected, you are beyond stupid. 

I maintain, and this is a certainty. A certainty as I have now had it verified from two third party sources who have real time knowledge. Do not drag your wife into your tax affairs. 

It has been said before: gift your wife money to buy her own land, her own car, her own lottery tickets and her own beauty cream.

If you gift money to her to buy beauty cream, and then you are the one who uses the beauty cream - I wouldn't do that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Yumthai said:

Unless there's a bank to bank transfer of the gifted amount from wife to husband, this is practically unenforceable. Among other workarounds, wife handing cash to husband for daily expenses is untraceable.

You assume

- TRD is stupid (I don't think so)

or

- TRD doesn't care (I think so,  if the amounts are small - but in that case,  is it worth it?)

You run the risk that your tax official gets angry at you: "do you think we are stupid?"

But who knows,  her reaction might also be "you very smart". TIT

1 minute ago, Lorry said:

You assume

or

- TRD doesn't care (I think so,  if the amounts are small - but in that case,  is it worth it?)

You run the risk that your tax official gets angry at you: "do you think we are stupid?"

Neither one nor the other. I assume TRD can't enforce gifting back cash for daily expenses.

If you think they can without pulling CIA/NSA efforts and resources please elaborate.

31 minutes ago, Lorry said:

You assume

or

Correct. And if you meet with the official who takes the "do you think we are stupid" attitude then you'll be tortured.  And your wife too. 

For all of you that have never had a tax audit, you really don't want to FAFO with these people in any country. 

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Yumthai said:

Rules that cannot be enforced are not well thought to say the least.

Incorrect. The husband will be ASKED TO PROVE HOW HE IS SUPPORTING HIMSELF. 

This is so obvious I am amazed it hasn't occurred to people. 

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Yumthai said:

Neither one nor the other. I assume TRD can't enforce gifting back cash for daily expenses.

If you think they can without pulling CIA/NSA efforts and resources please elaborate.

"Khun Farang Ka, how are you supporting yourself?" 

• Like 1

Why do people always think they can outsmart the tax authorities by nitpicking over minor technicalities? The tax department are the experts, and it's ultimately up to them to decide what's acceptable. Trying to deceive or outmaneuver them is a pointless effort!

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, theblether said:

6 minutes ago, theblether said:

"Khun Farang Ka, how are you supporting yourself?" 

If ever questioned, the husband's got cash savings at home.

He could have brought up to 15K USD undeclared from each trip abroad for years.

6 minutes ago, theblether said:

It has occurred to many people in the various tax threads, written many times. 

• Like 1