Advice me on car window tint

Pattaya420

Hi, buying new car. It's going to be black car. Dealer sent me windows tint shades to choose.

I definitely want it dark to match car and want one that u don't see inside the car from outside.

I don't have issue I don't see bikes at night especially in mirrors, I had once car and was like that couldn't see at night in mirrors often had to open window to double check mirrors, my only worry.

I got no problem with my eyes at all.

I am between Air 15 and 05, it says

Air 15 light passes through 12%

Air 05 is 6%

I guess 05 is too dark isn't it?

So 15 might be best choice.

Just wonder if anyone got that darkest one?

Thanks.

1726121796470.thumb.jpg.0c91d815883a35feee0de9bcafa95887.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, johng said:

Very true  the "idiots" with blacked out windows  at night are probably as dangerous as the drunks.

Well only if u old and half blind, or bad driver. Not everyone got same skills, some of us can race fast cars, fast bikes etc. 

Edited by Pattaya420
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, impulse said:

Some folks are truly talented.  Some suffer from Dunning Kruger.

I didn't want to risk it.   There's a long list of posters that we no longer hear from.  RIP.

Edit:  Help me understand why someone would choose a black car in the tropics?

I have 3 black vehicles, Whats the issue ?

• Agree 1

It's sporty car

16 minutes ago, impulse said:

Some folks are truly talented.  Some suffer from Dunning Kruger.

I didn't want to risk it.   There's a long list of posters that we no longer hear from.  RIP.

Edit:  Help me understand why someone would choose a black car in the tropics?

I had few white cars here and got bored with it. 

This is sporty car so picked black. There was white grey blue to choose from.

And tint is for sun and so it look cool as it's brand new sport ish car.

Getting 15 as they say 05 can't see at night. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, impulse said:

https://fixingengines.com/do-black-cars-get-hotter-the-science-behind-it

Black cars do, in fact, get noticeably hotter on the inside than white cars do when left in the sun for a long time, and they also take longer to cool off. A study showed that black cars can get up to 17 Fahrenheit degrees hotter than white ones, which happens because the color black traps more heat than lighter colors.

I just wonder what makes that a good trade-off for some, especially where it's hotter than heck anyway.

Got Aircon for that so dont care

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, impulse said:

https://fixingengines.com/do-black-cars-get-hotter-the-science-behind-it

Black cars do, in fact, get noticeably hotter on the inside than white cars do when left in the sun for a long time, and they also take longer to cool off. A study showed that black cars can get up to 17 Fahrenheit degrees hotter than white ones, which happens because the color black traps more heat than lighter colors.

I just wonder what makes that a good trade-off for some, especially where it's hotter than heck anyway.

Air con has em cool within seconds.

not seeing the issue... you don't like black.... don't buy black !

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

50 minutes ago, Pattaya420 said:

Lol I miss spelled

I mean to say

I don't want to have issue I don't see bikes at night especially in mirrors.

I mean I want to see them.

I had this problem before I could not see.

Sorry

You should absolutely not be driving but It looks like  you killing someone is the only way for you to understand that.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, In Full Agreement said:

You should absolutely not be driving but It looks like  you killing someone is the only way for you to understand that.

Dude I race sport bikes 1000cc on track.

I can handle speeds 300km/h+ 

Don't tell me about driving. Thanks Karen

Edited by Pattaya420
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Pattaya420 said:

And tint is for sun and so it look cool as it's brand new sport ish car.

I had a dealer put tint on for me on my new car, 6 months later I had a mole removed from my face which wasn't there before.

The doctor advised me to check the tint and if it wasn't UV, to get it removed and replaced with UV tint which I did.

American brand, 60/40 recommended by the installer who took me to his car, I sat in it, and it was much cooler than my car even being in the sun.

He said the 60/40 was just right for night driving, 40 for the front, albeit it I added a spot light for darker roads which make is harder to see with no street lights.

The most important take home is to make sure 110% that the tint is UV otherwise you will feel the sun on your face through the drivers window & through the front window, and boy does it burn. That will also happen if it's not UV.

I opted for the bronze colour tint, no one can tell, people can't see you, but they will see a shadow, personally can't stand the dark tints that you can't see into, but this is Thailand, wouldn't be allowed in a western country as it's too dangerous, that is why they have guidelines and restrictions.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Apart from the heating effect, black cars get dirtier far quicker than light-colored vehicles.

They are supposed to be a prestige symbol in Asia, but it gets stupid when one sees a black Nissan Micra or Almera.

so don't buy one then.... sheesh.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, jvs said:

Wow, have you never noticed the difference between racing on a track and driving on a non lit road on a rainy night in Thailand?

Dude,i used to fly jets,also nothing to do with this topic.

Dimly lit roads on a wet night are the best times to be out runing amok !

45 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Apart from the heating effect, black cars get dirtier far quicker than light-colored vehicles.

That's been my experience with black cars.  I had to clean them much more often or they looked dusty.  And whiskey dings, rock chips and door dings were a lot more pronounced.  It wasn't worth it to turn on the AC if the trip was less than 5 or 10 minutes.  It took that long for the car to cool off.  I've had kids and women jump out of the car and start crying after they sat down on black vinyl or leather upholstery in the sun.  Not so bad with cloth upholstery. 

I've got nothing against black cars as a personal choice.  Just not one I would make in the tropics, unless it was a great deal on a used car that happened to be black.  Some places I've lived, black was the choice because the cops thought they were official vehicles and left them alone.

Back to the OP, I haven't seen any discussion of the maximum legal tint for the various windows/windshield.  I have no doubt that the installer will sell you anything you insist on.  But is it legal, and will there be extra liability in an accident?  And can the insurance company deny a claim if they find out the tint was illegal?  Those are honest questions, not pointed ones.  I just don't know.

1 hour ago, Pattaya420 said:

Dude I race sport bikes 1000cc on track.

I can handle speeds 300km/h+ 

Not down Sukhumvit road Pattaya in a Black Toyota Vios with a 90% tint you can't !!!! :whistling:

But I think your point is you have plenty of riding / driving experience - which of course helps... 

...But back to the tint point - it doesn't matter how well we can drive if we can't see a motorcycle in front of us because the tint is too much.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

I can never recall the actual documentation - however, it is my understand that law exist limiting tint 'strengths'....

There is a legal limit.   Over the years, there have been some threads on it.  Also some anecdotal stories of people being pulled over in LOS because their window tint was too dark.

• Agree 1