Illegal Work: Russian Employer and Russian Electrician Arrested

webfact

1 hour ago, Korat Kiwi said:

Maybe the BiB should set up a sting operation outside Global/DoHome/Mega and the like. 

Bound to get heaps of foreigners going to their vehicles carrying tools. These tools could be used for jobs reserved for Thais!  

Unbelievable.  I use to help my missus run her guesthouse.  General maintenance.... plumbing, small electrical repairs and general upkeep. 

She was always worried someone might report me.  

It has happened, there was a case years ago down here, a farang was advertising his wife business on his truck, he got pulled up about it, because it made the news, but I dont know what happened after that

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

It has happened, there was a case years ago down here, a farang was advertising his wife business on his truck, he got pulled up about it, because it made the news, but I dont know what happened after that

I remember that... 

Some members on this forum however can't accept that this happens. 

Even volunteer work requires a special visa!  No I didn't make that up.  It's on an immigration website. 

14 hours ago, NativeBob said:

did they get "the fund transaction"? than why that sucker "admitted hiring"? 

if I ask my beer-friend to set up the VCR, my lady friend to peel potatoes, or even better - to draw some pictures with my kid >>> is it "working ilegally"?

However those "electricians" suxx~! A couple of "freelancers" were installing "bad ass" sound system in broad daylight in the disco bar at Koh Panghan while local [thai competitors] were watching. Only one (1) call would bring wrath of tourist police on their heads, yet they didn't mind half a mil amps and drivers (speakers).

Like a little children indeed!

Natural selection at work.

Surely videoing a foreigner pulling his wire is classified as a crime under current laws?😋

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

A Lt General leading the raid?

You noticed too? A Lt. General comes to watch a bunch of Russians playing with wires. 

Seems that Phangan is some sort of golden goose - wherever you turn up there's "crime" and money 

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Korat Kiwi said:

I remember that... 

Some members on this forum however can't accept that this happens. 

Even volunteer work requires a special visa!  No I didn't make that up.  It's on an immigration website. 

You may recall the aftermath of the tsunami down south when scores of foreign tourists reacted proving humanitarien assistance at their own risk. Within only a few days they were required to apply for work permits. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

The rant goes on - this week starts with electricians from Russia. 

Well, they should have gone for a company and work permit; I've been using a Swiss electrician for more than a decade - he is legally employed with visa, work permit et al. His invoices are quite a bit higher than the local Somchai next door for good reason.

Most Thai electricians are "challenged" with their assignments - to put it mildly. I had a house rewired with the result, that one room had all green wires, the next room all yellow wires coming out of pipes and sockets; in addition to the colour ignorance the individual cable diameter was absolutely irrelevant to "Somchai the electrician". 

Same applies to plumbers, the law of communicating pipes is literally unknown here and results in blocked drainage before you shower properly, overflowing toilets and dripping cold water outlets. Warm water outlets don't work quite often as the pressure is insufficient - see communicating pipes - despite a perfectly able and strong pump. 

So yeah, the Russians could sit on a gold mine. Get them fined for this illegality and hopefully they will resort to a company and work permits as Thailand certainly could use good workers for years to come! 

100%. When I built my house I had to redo the plumbing and sort the electrics. We were getting shocks every time we touched certain electric items. The idiots hadn't earthed properly. Why? To save a hundred baht!!! 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

I sympathize. Many years ago, a person was electrocuted  outside the former shopping plaza on Bangla Road. The wiring had not been grounded and the poor kid was electrocuted as he sat and inadvertently  touched a metal socket. And and on the stories go.  I liek to bash the Russians as much as the next person, but on this, I am understanding.

Probably a dodgy Russian who wired that up.

8 hours ago, NativeBob said:

So what? report you? unless there's solid evidence of engaging into "paid work" they can go whistle. 

Although I sort of agree with your general sentiment, let's keep to the facts to be against the law, the work doesn't have to be paid work.

There's always crazy talk on here when this subject comes up - people saying they can't even paint their house, one guy a while back claimed he was fined for drilling a hole in the wall of his condo etc. 

All I would say to anyone in that situation is, if what you are doing is on your own premises and falls within the definition of DIY - don't accept any 'fine' from the police. Tell them you want the matter decided by a court - the chances of you receiving a summons are 0 to zero.

• Agree 1

On 9/16/2024 at 9:23 AM, Baba Naba said:

This gibberish is most likely Google Translate Russian/English translation excrement. It's on par with their Thai/English translation... 🙄

I thought the Gibber tribe and their language were extinct. It's amazing that some people are still using it.😉

19 hours ago, NativeBob said:

Exactly. Why some foreigners are going belly-up and admit wrong-doings almost instantly?

God knows! Granted it doesn't happen as often these days but its the same as those who just accept "you go to fast sir" - with no evidence.  If I know I wasn't speeding, I simply refuse and ask for evidence - never failed me yet and neither have I spent ages parked up arguing with them.  They don't want to waste time fighting this 'arrogant' farang while there other potential 'victims' passing - normally just waved on.

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Thanks 1