Beef Jerky

poppysdad

One of my falang food suppliers was recently promoting Beef Jerky, apart from knowing the name I know nothing about the product but a trip to Google soon enlightened me and I placed an order for some. 

So Saturday my wife is getting my dinner and asks me how to prepare it, I replied with it’s already to eat, she asks are you sure, anyway she emptied the bag onto my plate alongside my usual veggies. Well the flavour according to my taste buds was excellent but it was also like chewing wood. I was like a cow chewing the cud trying to soften the jerky enough to make it safe to swallow with each strip taking many minutes of chewing to soften. If it wasn’t for the great flavour I’d have spat it out and ditched the lot.

So, is it supposed to be like that, anyone have any ways that you can rehydrate the stuff to make it more easily edible?

11 minutes ago, poppysdad said:

One of my falang food suppliers was recently promoting Beef Jerky, apart from knowing the name I know nothing about the product but a trip to Google soon enlightened me and I placed an order for some. 
So Saturday my wife is getting my dinner and asks me how to prepare it, I replied with it’s already to eat, she asks are you sure, anyway she emptied the bag onto my plate alongside my usual veggies. Well the flavour according to my taste buds was excellent but it was also like chewing wood. I was like a cow chewing the cud trying to soften the jerky enough to make it safe to swallow with each strip taking many minutes of chewing to soften. If it wasn’t for the great flavour I’d have spat it out and ditched the lot.

So, is it supposed to be like that, anyone have any ways that you can rehydrate the stuff to make it more easily edible?

Rehydrate ... the obvious, place in water, though may dilute the flavor.  I'd try steaming a piece or 2 before dipping in water.

If enjoy jerky that much, then well worth getting a dehydrator and making your own.  A very easy process.  Plenty of recipes on YT to get you started.

Thanks for the thread .... "honey, break out the dehydrator... it's Jerky time"

I always thought it was meant as a snack like a bag of chips, NOT put on a plate with veggies, would you do that with BBQ flavored chips ? (crisps for Brits)😂

Mr Google also says: 

• Open the tin or package and remove a pinch of the chew.
  • Place it in your mouth and smear it on one side.
  • Hold it between your gum or cheek -- upper or lower -- and let your saliva slowly release the flavor or gently chew it.
  • Swallow or spit the broth flavor as it is released from the dried jerky.
  • Agree 1

Great for trekking, long term driving, camping, on the golf course....

Or traveling cross country, like the settlers did 150 years ago...

It's not made to be a

stew like substance....

It'll keep you going all day if you snack on it....

If you ever go to Texas, go to a Buc'ees they are famous for it & must have about 50 varieties & flavors....

1 minute ago, StephenD said:

Some of the different biltong I've tried has been a bit softer than jerky and supposedly has less sugar, but yes it is supposed to be like chewing leather.

Yes, if really old.  Well made stuff is delicious.  Nice shop in Otjiwarongo; also they had very good droewors.