Best Song of Past 100 Years? Your Vote?

GammaGlobulin

51 minutes ago, MarkBR said:

Also depends on your age and the mood you are in as to what is an awesome song.

Actually all good music is timeless. Good music meaning good lyrics and musicianship. People actually playing instruments. I lived through the best times music will ever know, those 50's through the 80's, and also some very good from the 80's to now is still being made.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

51 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

ย 

You are right. So, I thought about which "modern song" from the last couple of years was very good. I think this one is one of the best from recent years. And with 8.5 billion views on YouTube for just this video, it seems many people agree with me.

ย 

ย 

One fact that will always stand is that how many people like a certain song means little of how good it is. A lot of people like to dance, and the beat means more than anything else. Look at Disco. Soulless pap for the most part but some of the best music to dance to because of that beat. The same with most pop music now. It attracts for the most part pre-teens and teens. They like the shows they put on, but it doesn't come near matching the musicianship of most progressive rock bands. There are many excellent bands worldwide that most will never hear because of the money involved, and the shows.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Still good music available although due to internet and social media vast increase in people attempting music, so concomitant increase in dross.ย  Good music is now often linked into video games.ย  And cover versions of these songs.

Legions Never Die is an example of the latter: Forestella & Kardi, both korean bands both covered it, but well done as cover versions.

Edited by MarkBR
typographic errors and 2 missed words

I'm posting a very good song, recent, that most might never hear. One of the best guitar players alive or otherwise, and good lyrics. I don't consider any song the best, but this recent one shows what's still being made............

2 minutes ago, MarkBR said:

Still good music available although due to internet and social media vast increase in people attempting music, so concomitant increase in dross.ย  Good music is now often linked into video games.ย  And cover versions of these songs.

Legions Never Die is an example of the latter: Forestella & Kardi, both korean bands both covered it, but well done as cover versions.

Thought of another Paint it Black - original version by Rolling Stones - wonderful; cover version by Ciara set to video of Yuzuru Hanyu figure skating - wonderful

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, proton said:

ย 

He did nothing to stop 4 Union states being slave state though, his only objective was forcing the CSA back into the Union, slavery was a side issue. He actually freed no slaves at all, the 13th amendment was not passed until months after his death

Patently False. Lincoln was alive when it passed both the House and Senate. It wasn't Ratified by the necessary amount of States until nearly a year after his death. Don't spread misinformation just to justify your "feelings". A simple Google search would have informed you.

ย 

It's a Thread about Music.ย 

7 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I'm posting a very good song, recent, that most might never hear. One of the best guitar players alive or otherwise, and good lyrics. I don't consider any song the best, but this recent one shows what's still being made............

Will listen to see if I like

Just now, IsaanExpat said:

Patently False. Lincoln was alive when it passed both the House and Senate. It wasn't Ratified by the necessary amount of States until nearly a year after his death. Don't spread misinformation just to justify your "feelings". A simple Google search would have informed you.

ย 

This is a good version of a Lincoln song..................

ย 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Just listened, and yes, I agree, it is very good music. Never heard of them before but now will listen to more

Just now, MarkBR said:

Just listened, and yes, I agree, it is very good music. Never heard of them before but now will listen to more

Joe Bonamassa is probably the best guitarist around now. many solo albums, along with Black Country Communion.

6 hours ago, IsaanExpat said:

David Gilmour is still one of the greatest Guitarists of all time though

Would agree, also still playing. As is Steve Hackett, his "Circus and the Nightwhale" album released in February this year, shows he's still developing, not just resting on his laurels.

ย 

Having said that, Dave's new album "Luck and Strange", released in April, which he says is his best since Dark Side. I would disagree, great orchestrations and solo's, a bit of a family affair, as daughter Romany and sons Joe and Charlie all guest, plus wife Polly Samson provides most of the lyrics. It's a nice album, not his best.

ย 

The best is Jeff Beck, sadly no longer with us. Still developing and playing up until his death in January last year. His control and mastery made him the guitarist's guitarist. Having just played a 2 hour set at Ronnie Scott's, his encore track is just amazing.ย 

ย 

Edited by RayWright

16 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

One fact that will always stand is that how many people like a certain song means little of how good it is. A lot of people like to dance, and the beat means more than anything else. Look at Disco. Soulless pap for the most part but some of the best music to dance to because of that beat. The same with most pop music now. It attracts for the most part pre-teens and teens. They like the shows they put on, but it doesn't come near matching the musicianship of most progressive rock bands. There are many excellent bands worldwide that most will never hear because of the money involved, and the shows.

ย 

Best is what people perceive as best.ย 

ย 

This is one of my favorites - even when I hear it now.

Made with one of the first synthesizers:ย Moog synthesizer - Wikipedia

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, fredwiggy said:

Joe Bonamassa is probably the best guitarist around now. many solo albums, along with Black Country Communion.

Al DiMeola and John McLaughlin are still around. Bonamassa is good but nope.

2 minutes ago, cjinchiangrai said:

Al DiMeola and John McLaughlin are still around. Bonamassa is good but nope.

If I could play any musical instrument such that it sounded good, I would be very happy.ย  Currently, only pest control companies would employ me to play musical instruments or sing.

1 minute ago, MarkBR said:

If I could play any musical instrument such that it sounded good, I would be very happy.ย  Currently, only pest control companies would employ me to play musical instruments or sing.

I have been playing guitar for over 40 years. I still suck. It is still fun.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, IsaanExpat said:

ย 

ย 

13th amendment was not passed into law until Dec 6 1865, the tyrant had been dead for 8 months. He said if he could save the Union by freeing no slaves, or just some he would have. He also stated in his speech of 18 th Sept 1858 that he did not believe blacks should have the vote, inter marry, hold public office or live sucessfully among the white race. He waited almost 2 years into the war to issue his useless proclamation to free slaves, which only applied to the slaves in the CSA where he had no authority. That was just a tactic to help win the war.

I was not the first person to mention the war or Dixie. Here is one from the Union

ย 

ย 

Edited by proton

10 minutes ago, TheAppletons said:

It's unfortunate but seeing the songs posted in this thread brings back memories of the smell of my grandparents' house.ย  Ugh.

I am confident we could make it worse.ย 

ย 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

ย 

Best is what people perceive as best.ย 

ย 

This is one of my favorites - even when I hear it now.

Made with one of the first synthesizers:ย Moog synthesizer - Wikipedia

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

What's best to a lot of people might be crapola in actuality. many people don't understand what good music is, and go along with the crowds that like dance music. Nothing wrong with enjoying any music that doesn't degrade others, but it doesn't mean you know what good music is. Donna Summer had a good voice. I wasn't into her music besides a couple of songs, but R&B is a favorite of mine, especially older R&B.

2 minutes ago, cjinchiangrai said:

Happy to revisit his work. I saw him quite a while ago and he was mostly shredding.

I saw him in a small bar in Austin Texas, 10 feet away. He played without missing a note all of his earlier songs. I've seen most of the best guitarists or have listened to them for 50 years, and only Mark Knopfler is as good to me. Those others are right up there so it's hard to choose, along with Jeff Beck, Warren Haynes, Jorma Kaukonen, Michael Schenker, Brian May, Steve Hackett and Neil Schon.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Like 1