Changes to "Long Term" Non-IMM Visas - 5 Year "Non-OA" Retirement Visa? (PURE SPECULATION).

1 hour ago, TigerandDog said:

Although I also telephoned my local IO with regards to this and they did say when doing my next annual extension that I could change from O-A to O-X as long as I had the insurance and 3 million in the bank. I'm not entirely convinced that this is correct though.

Your O-A has expired.
They also didn't tell you'd have to apply for the O-X at a Thai Embassy, not at Immigration.

15 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Your O-A has expired.
They also didn't tell you'd have to apply for the O-X at a Thai Embassy, not at Immigration.

did you actually read what I wrote " they did say when doing my next annual extension that I could change from O-A to O-X as long as I had the insurance and 3 million in the bank.  I'm not entirely convinced that this is correct though."

Perhaps it would be a good idea if you read and understood what was written before posting an irrelevant comment.

8 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

did you actually read what I wrote " they did say when doing my next annual extension that I could change from O-A to O-X as long as I had the insurance and 3 million in the bank.  I'm not entirely convinced that this is correct though."

Perhaps it would be a good idea if you read and understood what was written before posting an irrelevant comment.

No, I fully understood.

The fact you're extending your periods of stay at Immigration tells me your O-A has expired.
Immigration are correct that you could apply for the Non Imm O-X, just not at an Immigration office.!

You could leave the Country now without a re-entry permit to kill your current permission of stay and apply for the O-X from a Thai Embassy.

The IO was just suggesting you waited until your current extension was due for renewal before you applied for an O-X visa.

20 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

The question I'd be asking Immigration, if you have the 3 million, is would be possible to transfer from the annual extensions to the 5 year extensions and if so can it be done at the next annual extension?

I wouldn't bother.  It may be five yearly extensions, but you still have to go to hell Immigration every year so they can check you still meet the eligibility criteria.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Foxx said:

I wouldn't bother.  It may be five yearly extensions, but you still have to go to hell Immigration every year so they can check you still meet the eligibility criteria.

Agreed. You either leave the Country each year for a new 1-year entry, or extend your period of stay for 1 year at Immigration.
It doesn't mean you can stay continuously for 5 years without doing anything more as some believe.

Same with the Elite visa.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

I emailed the company in the OP as I thought it would be funny to hear what they say. I immediately got this response:

Welcome to Siam Legal! Your ticket #[xxxxxx] has been created.

So Siam Legal advertise this on another site they created but don't advertise it on their main site? I'm guessing whoever they got to update the page on 17 Sept just really stuffed it up

As I said above I emailed the company link in OP requesting info on their advertised "5 year O-A visa". I just got the following email back telling me about the O-X visa which I didn't ask about  😆 

I believe the Non-Immigrant O-X Visa you're referring to has been updated. The current O-X Visa allows for a 10-year stay, but you will need to exit Thailand and re-enter during the 5th year to extend your stay for another 5 years. To qualify, you must have a bank deposit of at least 3 million baht in Thailand, or a deposit of at least 1.8 million baht combined with an annual income of no less than 1.2 million baht. The full deposit must be maintained in the bank for at least one year, and no less than 1.5 million baht after that.

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Pattaya57 said:

As I said above I emailed the company link in OP requesting info on the "5 year O-A visa". I just got the following email back 😆 

I believe the Non-Immigrant O-X Visa you're referring to has been updated. The current O-X Visa allows for a 10-year stay, but you will need to exit Thailand and re-enter during the 5th year to extend your stay for another 5 years. To qualify, you must have a bank deposit of at least 3 million baht in Thailand, or a deposit of at least 1.8 million baht combined with an annual income of no less than 1.2 million baht. The full deposit must be maintained in the bank for at least one year, and no less than 1.5 million baht after that.

You do not need to exit Thailand at the 5 year point, you can get the second 5 year stamp at immigration

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, howerde said:

You do not need to exit Thailand at the 5 year point, you can get the second 5 year stamp at immigration

You missed the point. OP shows they are advertising a 5 year O-A visa, but company responds back talking about O-X which I didn't ask about. I was just proving their advertised 5 year O-A visa doesn't exist

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Pattaya57 said:

You missed the point. OP shows they are advertising a 5 year O-A visa, but company responds back talking about O-X which I didn't ask about. I was just proving their advertised 5 year O-A visa doesn't exist

Siam got their knickers in a twist .............. again!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Agreed. You either leave the Country each year for a new 1-year entry, or extend your period of stay for 1 year at Immigration.
It doesn't mean you can stay continuously for 5 years without doing anything more as some believe.

Same with the Elite visa.

I assumed having an Elite Visa meant you had 5, 10, or 20 years of visa-free activity, if that is the case then what is the point of getting one and wasting all of that money?

It only takes me one hour at the immigration office in Phuket, to submit my documents, for my non-0, spend five minutes with the immigration officer, and then pick up the passport and extension of stay the next day, I suppose it would take that much time with the Elite Visa?

13 minutes ago, JamesPhuket10 said:

I assumed having an Elite Visa meant you had 5, 10, or 20 years of visa-free activity, if that is the case then what is the point of getting one and wasting all of that money?

Its validity can be for 5,10, or 20 years, but on entry you only receive permission of stay for 1 year.
At the end of that 1 year, you can either exit, re-enter to obtain another 1 year permission of stay, or extend your permission of stay for a further year at an Immigration office.

The validity of a visa is the period during which you can use it to enter Thailand.
The period of stay is different from the validity of the visa.

Edited by Liquorice