Why do some Farang worry so much about Thailand being too =hot=?

Dear Folks,

Here on these pages, on TV, we often hear Farang complain about Thailand being too HOT!

Why is this....anyway?

I really cannot understand their complaints.

For example....

Anytime I get too hot, I just visit the local AirCon Store, and buy MORE BTUs.....

At the moment, I have about 70,000 BTUs going FULL BLAST....

And, for me, it doesn't seem hot here.....not a bit.

Therefore, I ask you......

WHY

Why do Farang Complain when....it's so easy to moderate the temps just by visiting the local store?

When I lived in Hong Kong.....

That was the time I REALLY felt HOT....

Hong Kong is actually HOTTER than Thailand, but you would not know unless you had lived there.

I am talking....PRICKLY HEAT, Folks....!

image.png.c298bba483a1c854d51724fe2fa4513a.png

Wow....!

This guy has it BAD!

===========

So, anyway, I just do not understand why Farang complain about Thailand being HOT....when.....

It's actually NOT.

Thailand is NOT HOT.....NOT!

image.png.8f889b2dbdfa93ea2c19b52fb5f1db5f.png

Anyway....

Just saying.....

I have not had prickly heat in about three decades.

I do not welcome it, Mandrake, nor do I run from it.

Here is my advice to all you guys who fear the heat, and complain about it:

a.  Go out and buy premium AirCons.

b. When the sales guy tells you that you need X-amount of BTUs for your space....then.....

DOUBLE THIS AMOUNT.

c.  Then sit back, in your lounge chair, with the AC Blasting.....and....

Sip a nice cool Gin and Tonic.....with some girl at your feet, massaging your toes....

This ought to keep you cool, and completely FREE of any complaints about the Thailand Heat.....

d.  One can NEVER have TOO MANY .... BTUs....

There is NO SUCH THING as too much cooling power.

And....No Complaints about Thailand being too hot, which it is NOT.....

Compared to Hong Kong in the summer months.

Just a valuable reply and observation to all the many comments I have read here about Thailand being too hot....

Which, it's NOT....

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Gamma

Note:  Keep it Cool, through buying BTUs....

No Charge for this good advice.

Note2:  During the HOT Season, I pile on the wool blankets in my bedroom.  Unfortunately, I have only blankets to keep me warm... and....

No dogs

No women, either.

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 4
  • Haha 1

I have heard many Thais over the last thirty years as they open the door of their house or car and instantly say, "oooo, ron mark", everyone mentions it as far as I can see.

But as I am sitting here writing software in my aircon home office in Phuket I do not care what it is doing outside.

But in any case, it has been non-stop raining for the last few days, with high winds, etc, I saw on a video, that some small areas in Phuket are flooded, I did not read anything about the majority of the island not being flooded. 😄

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Dear Folks,

Here on these pages, on TV, we often hear Farang complain about Thailand being too HOT!

Why is this....anyway?

For example....

Anytime I get too hot, I just visit the local AirCon Store, and buy MORE BTUs.....

WHY

Why do Farang Complain when....it's so easy to moderate the temps just by visiting the local store?

Hong Kong is actually HOTTER than Thailand, but you would not know unless you had lived there.

Wow....!

This guy has it BAD!

===========

So, anyway, I just do not understand why Farang complain about Thailand being HOT....when.....

It's actually NOT.

Anyway....

Just saying.....

b. When the sales guy tells you that you need X-amount of BTUs for your space....then.....

DOUBLE THIS AMOUNT.

Sip a nice cool Gin and Tonic.....with some girl at your feet, massaging your toes....

This ought to keep you cool, and completely FREE of any complaints about the Thailand Heat.....

Just a valuable reply and observation to all the many comments I have read here about Thailand being too hot....

Which, it's NOT....

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Gamma

Note2:  During the HOT Season, I pile on the wool blankets in my bedroom.  Unfortunately, I have only blankets to keep me warm... and....

No dogs

No women, either.

Because I can choose where I want to live, and happiness to me, is an active outdoor life, not inside. Therefore I choose colder clean climate instead of living here in Thailand, as well my orign country offer work and social security for my wife. I can't have either of those two in Thailand, even they want to tax my transfers. 

So thre points and out 

Heat

Pollution 

Tax

Edited by Hummin
  • Agree 1

Why live in a hot place if most of the time you stay indoors? I came from, and am going back to Texas, where it's actually hotter there on average than here, even though we get freezing temps and some snow in south Texas. Here, the humidity is too much at times, like living in Houston, and the rainy season has you staying indoors much of the time, which gets very boring. The best choice is to live where you can enjoy your hobbies, the season changes, and do what you want to do safely and with freedom.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, arick said:

Everybody complains even ties when it's 106.

Thais complain about the heat & weather as much as the British complain about the weather and the cold, and the heat.

• Agree 2

Not everyone can sit inside all day with the air-con on 20-23 degrees Celcius or afford an electricity bill of X(X) thousand Baht per month. Some people have work or business to do outside the house/condominium. They feel the heat. Also, the weather is getting hotter each year. Last March to May was the hottest I can remember since 1984. 39 - 41 degrees Celcius was common every day for weeks. Who knows what 2025 will bring?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, renaissanc said:

Not everyone can sit inside all day with the air-con on 20-23 degrees Celcius or afford an electricity bill of X(X) thousand Baht per month. Some people have work or business to do outside the house/condominium. They feel the heat. Also, the weather is getting hotter each year. Last March to May was the hottest I can remember since 1984. 39 - 41 degrees Celcius was common every day for weeks. Who knows what 2025 will bring?

I hear Greenland is getting warmer, you could relocate.

5 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

I have not heard many foreigners complaining about the heat in Thailand. This post is pointless and a waste of time.

If you tune into any GG thread, you will have the same experience.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Dear Folks,

Why is this....anyway?

For example....

WHY

Wow....!

This guy has it BAD!

===========

It's actually NOT.

Anyway....

Just saying.....

DOUBLE THIS AMOUNT.

Which, it's NOT....

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Gamma

No dogs

No women, either.

Jeez what a ramble. Are you Donald Trump?

Hong Kong is not hotter than Thailand. Bangkok is the hottest capital city in the world (source WGO). Also, H.K. is 2000 Kms further from the equator than BKK.

South Carolina is way way hotter than Thailand. Especially when working in a steel fab shop.

Much prefer the heat over the cold, cold actually hurts my body physically....

Will do just fine with electric bills as I plan to install solar and battery bank🤣

26 minutes ago, MarkBR said:

I think there are far more less engaging threads, at least GG is intelligent.

He is certainly very widely read. I don't know that I equate that to intelligence.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

He is certainly very widely read. I don't know that I equate that to intelligence.

I could imagine having a brilliant long conversation in a pub with yourself, GG, and few others with lots of good ales & lagers.  Now mind is going to good pubs in Britain.  The most important thing it has contributed to humanity.

2 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

Why live in a hot place if most of the time you stay indoors? I came from, and am going back to Texas, where it's actually hotter there on average than here, even though we get freezing temps and some snow in south Texas. Here, the humidity is too much at times, like living in Houston, and the rainy season has you staying indoors much of the time, which gets very boring. The best choice is to live where you can enjoy your hobbies, the season changes, and do what you want to do safely and with freedom.

I have to laugh, outdoors?

I worked in Arlington Texas for five months in 1991, as a software engineer,  it was hot, and I saw no people living the outdoor life, the only people outside were Mexicans etc working in gardens in the blistering heat.

Most Texans were in their aircon cars, going to aircon restaurants or shopping malls etc.

I decided to walk the half mile to work one day and was stopped by the police, they wondered why I was walking, but once they found out I was a Brit they were OK about it.

One of the times in a shopping mall with a few Texans we decided to get in the car to go to a restaurant, we started off and after 100 yards parked again, I said I thought we were going to a restaurant, it is here was the reply, they couldn't be bothered to walk 100 yards. 

A bit like Thailand really, I suppose it is different in the sticks though where the poor people live. 

I remember taking a drive to Dallas and parked downtown, I ate at a restaurant and asked the waiter if I could leave my car in the car park for an hour or two while I had a walk around the area, it was 8 pm.

He said here in Dallas, you drive your car, park where you need to be, and do not walk the streets.

As I drove around I noticed gangs of mostly black guys hanging around at street intersections wearing banditos and colors.

Maybe it has all changed now but I did not feel any freedom as was the case when I worked in New Jersey for a year.

By contrast, I had another contract in Amsterdam, Holland, the two Texans and a few other Americans I was working with could not believe how we could wander about at 2 am without any feel of threat of any kind, they told me they could not do this in major cities back home.

Edited by JamesPhuket10
typo
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MarkBR said:

Thais complain about the heat & weather as much as the British complain about the weather and the cold, and the heat.

I agree, In all the countries I have ever worked in people were all the same when it came to commenting on the weather.

Right, that is it I have had my break with my last few comments, time for me to stop skiving and get back to "work". 😄

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Dear Folks,

Why is this....anyway?

For example....

WHY

Wow....!

This guy has it BAD!

===========

It's actually NOT.

Anyway....

Just saying.....

DOUBLE THIS AMOUNT.

Which, it's NOT....

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Gamma

No dogs

No women, either.

Phew I'm really hot now, I think my blood pressure just went up reading this drivel.

13 minutes ago, JamesPhuket10 said:

I agree, In all the countries I have ever worked in people were all the same when it came to commenting on the weather.

Right, that is it I have had my break with my last few comments, time for me to stop skiving and get back to "work". 😄

13 minutes ago, JamesPhuket10 said:

Skiving is just another word for thinking deeply about your job

2 hours ago, MarkBR said:

Well not where I live, my wife sits with just a fan in her shop sewing all day, as many do, she may come home and say I'm hot (not me her :giggle:) take a shower sit in 'my' room for a while with the A/C, And then back to 'her' room to watch 'her' TV with just a fan. Thais are cutting grass, building houses .....all day

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

You deal with it, or you leave. It is hot here. Big deal. During the very hot times of the year, I often don't leave my home during the day. Plenty to keep me amused. With the AC cranking it is very comfy. 

Also, eating less meat helps to keep your body cooler. 

It's not really hot in LOS it is the humidity what makes it feel hot 

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Because they are idiots and somehow forgot they chose to live in the tropics.

I'm one of those idiots...  I came out here for work...  made lots of friends, ended up staying...    Worked in the the UK for a couple of years, but the all year round humidity and heat here is better than half a year horrible  miserable wet and dingy cold and damp in the UK. 

The issue I have here is with the humidity...   

In the Summer months in the UK its great to be outside...  BBQ's, working in the garden, working on a car or motorcycle etc...

... Here in Thailand I change the battery on my Motorcycle and I'm drenched wet through in sweat and exhausted after 20 mins !!!... 

... Here in Thailand, I stand outside for a BBQ and want to be in AC, so consequenctly I hardly BBQ...

... Here in Thailand the workmen are so rubbish I renovated the shelves in the Bathroom myself, paintstripping them, sanding them down, keying them, base layer, over coats... It was exhausting work which in the UK I wouldn't have battered an eye at.

The humidity here is just draining, yes, I chose to live here, but that does not mean all aspects of Thailand are wonderful - there are plenty of pro's and a number of cons...     the humidity is something I get fed up of. 

1 hour ago, JamesPhuket10 said:

I have to laugh, outdoors?

I worked in Arlington Texas for five months in 1991, as a software engineer,  it was hot, and I saw no people living the outdoor life, the only people outside were Mexicans etc working in gardens in the blistering heat.

Most Texans were in their aircon cars, going to aircon restaurants or shopping malls etc.

I decided to walk the half mile to work one day and was stopped by the police, they wondered why I was walking, but once they found out I was a Brit they were OK about it.

One of the times in a shopping mall with a few Texans we decided to get in the car to go to a restaurant, we started off and after 100 yards parked again, I said I thought we were going to a restaurant, it is here was the reply, they couldn't be bothered to walk 100 yards. 

A bit like Thailand really, I suppose it is different in the sticks though where the poor people live. 

I remember taking a drive to Dallas and parked downtown, I ate at a restaurant and asked the waiter if I could leave my car in the car park for an hour or two while I had a walk around the area, it was 8 pm.

He said here in Dallas, you drive your car, park where you need to be, and do not walk the streets.

As I drove around I noticed gangs of mostly black guys hanging around at street intersections wearing banditos and colors.

Maybe it has all changed now but I did not feel any freedom as was the case when I worked in New Jersey for a year.

By contrast, I had another contract in Amsterdam, Holland, the two Texans and a few other Americans I was working with could not believe how we could wander about at 2 am without any feel of threat of any kind, they told me they could not do this in major cities back home.

In the sticks in Texas is where the people who have money live. I lived there 32 years, worked outside in 100 degree heat, and watched thousands do the same. It's the same everywhere. People move to the hot areas and stay inside most of the time. I worked and lived, all around San Antonio, visited Houston, Dallas and other big cities, and never had any trouble. I lived in New Jersey, 15 miles from NYC, for 30 years. Worked and visited NYC and boroughs all that time, and never had any trouble . There of course is trouble in all big cities, but it's not what people think it is. More people are hurt here in 5 on 1 ,knifings, and intentional homicides than back in the US, although people do believe all they hear on videos and don't hear but a tiny fraction of what goes on here daily. I would not walk late at night anywhere in any big cities because that's inviting disaster. Unless of course I was armed.