Watching videos on a LG TV – from my home computer

tomgreen

So Ive purchased a new LG smart tv and on the back of the TV there is an Ethernet port . I have run an ethernet cable from my home WiFi router to the LG TV. The same home WiFi router is also connected to both my computers ( 1 Mac + 1 Linux ) so the TV + Mac + Linux are all on the same home network .

On both my computers I have a separate desktop folder containing videos that Ive downloaded , which I can play and watch from both my computers. 

As the LG TV is connected to the same home network via the ethernet cable , I would like to find a way to watch the videos on the LG TV , that are in the desktop folder , on my computers. 

I know that I can watch some content ( Youtube ) directly on the LG TV using the internet connection provided via the connected ethernet cable , which is connected to my home WiFi router, but I would prefer to watch the videos I have stored on a desktop folder on my home computers. 

If possible I don’t really want to purchase a separate TV box .

So I’m looking for a way to watch the videos stored in a desktop folder on my computers , on my new LG TV.

Any ideas please.

Tom 

Did you try connecting the new LG telly as an external monitor via HDMI, bypass all the Smart gobbins.

I have a 55 Samsung and a TCL 35 connected like that and it works perfectly.

On the telly you can decide which to connect via the Source button on the tv remote.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Thumbs Up 1

The New LG TV is in a different room ( Lounge ) but I managed to run a very long ethernet cable from my bedroom where my computers are , up into the loft and down into the lounge . 

16 minutes ago, tomgreen said:

So Ive purchased a new LG smart tv and on the back of the TV there is an Ethernet port . I have run an ethernet cable from my home WiFi router to the LG TV. The same home WiFi router is also connected to both my computers ( 1 Mac + 1 Linux ) so the TV + Mac + Linux are all on the same home network .

On both my computers I have a separate desktop folder containing videos that Ive downloaded , which I can play and watch from both my computers. 

As the LG TV is connected to the same home network via the ethernet cable , I would like to find a way to watch the videos on the LG TV , that are in the desktop folder , on my computers. 

I know that I can watch some content ( Youtube ) directly on the LG TV using the internet connection provided via the connected ethernet cable , which is connected to my home WiFi router, but I would prefer to watch the videos I have stored on a desktop folder on my home computers. 

So I’m looking for a way to watch the videos stored in a desktop folder on my computers , on my new LG TV.

Any ideas please.

Tom 

https://www.plex.tv ? Depends on your TV. https://support.plex.tv/articles/204080173-which-smart-tv-models-are-supported/

Not sure if any of these  will work. Only suggestions. Can you use Airplay from Mac to LG?  

There is an Apple TV app for TV's, and it might be worth looking at if you can stream via that.

Chromecast?

Or you could have a look at Beamer App.

It used to be pay once, but unfortunately I think it has turned to the subscription model now:

https://softorino.com/beamer

Edited by phetphet

22 minutes ago, tomgreen said:

Any ideas please.

Tom 

https://www.plex.tv/your-media/

I found an amazing solution to this very problem, as I also like to stream videos from my pc harddrive to my Samsung TV.

There is an app called CX File Explorer. Despite it's plain name it's actually a game changer, because it's way more than a file explorer. It allows you to access your laptop via the same wireless network easily. You just create a network link in the app, put in the password and laptop name and that's it. Immediately this app will connect to your desktop.

You can install CX File Explorer on a PC but you need to installe Blue Stack, which is a pain. To get around this issue I use a simple Android box, which allows  you to install CX File explorer directly and is much easier to use. Pair that with a wireless keyboard and viewing heaven is accomplished.

17 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

I found an amazing solution to this very problem, as I also like to stream videos from my pc harddrive to my Samsung TV.

There is an app called CX File Explorer. Despite it's plain name it's actually a game changer, because it's way more than a file explorer. It allows you to access your laptop via the same wireless network easily. You just create a network link in the app, put in the password and laptop name and that's it. Immediately this app will connect to your desktop.

You can install CX File Explorer on a PC but you need to installe Blue Stack, which is a pain. To get around this issue I use a simple Android box, which allows  you to install CX File explorer directly and is much easier to use. Pair that with a wireless keyboard and viewing heaven is accomplished.

They don't want an extra TV box. Easier to just use Plex.

They can even install KODI to the TV for more options.

20 minutes ago, AlwaysThere said:

They don't want an extra TV box. Easier to just use Plex.

They can even install KODI to the TV for more options.

You don't need an extra TV box. As I explained you can installe CX File Explorer on a PC.  I've used Plex and CX File Explorer is much better.

Certainly Plex and KODI are not easier, they are fare more complex. With CX File Explorer you go to the app, press and you're straight into your PC. Much easier than Plex or KODI.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

You don't need an extra TV box. As I explained you can installe CX File Explorer on a PC.  I've used Plex and CX File Explorer is much better.

Certainly Plex and KODI are not easier, they are fare more complex. With CX File Explorer you go to the app, press and you're straight into your PC. Much easier than Plex or KODI.

Okay, let's go with your idea. You install CX File Explorer on the PC after installing Bluestacks on the PC. That's already complicated. Then what? How do they play the media on their LG TV? 

With Plex they install the Media Server on the PC and the App on the TV. That's it. 

I cannot see how your suggested method is less complex.

Edited by AlwaysThere

I use another simple "network design"

Our LG TV is connected to the wifi router through a couple of powerline adaptors Powerline Technology

A large WD hard disk, with all the media files (films, TV programs, etc.), is connected to the Wifi router (USB connection).

10 minutes ago, AlwaysThere said:

With Plex they install the Media Server on the PC and the App on the TV. That's it. 

I cannot see how your suggested method is less complex.

You're joking right?

With Plex there's setting up the server, managing settings, and understanding all the features takes hours with Plex. Plus you have to pay for Plex to unlock all the features.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Fab5BKK said:

I use another simple "network design"

Our LG TV is connected to the wifi router through a couple of powerline adaptors Powerline Technology

A large WD hard disk, with all the media files (films, TV programs, etc.), is connected to the Wifi router (USB connection).

A way better solution than Plex.

How do you play the files on the TV?

Edited by Cameroni

3 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

You're joking right?

With Plex there's setting up the server, managing settings, and understanding all the features takes hours with Plex. Plus you have to pay for Plex to unlock all the features.

Rather than arguing with me, you could have just explained how they would play the files on their TV.

Doesn't take hours with Plex and you don't need all of the features.

The “Free to Use” Parts: The Server and Apps

There are some details to get into, but the summary of “free” is simple:

• The video/music/photo media you own is yours. Of course, we don’t charge you in any way for that.
  • The Plex Media Server is free to use.
  • Our 'Movies & Shows' streaming service is free to all users and ad-supported.
  • Free TV streaming is available from our ad-supported Live TV on Plex service
  • Connect a compatible tuner and antenna to your server to let you watch over-the-air broadcasts available at your location live. (Recording of broadcasts requires a Plex Pass subscription.)
  • All of our non-mobile, public apps are free (with the exception of Plex Labs apps). These include Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, Apple TV, Chromecast, Plex HTPC, Roku, Smart TVs, Windows & macOS computers and game consoles (PlayStation and Xbox).

Even if it did take a while to set up(it doesn't), once it's done, it's done.

Now please explain the procedure with CX.

1 hour ago, tomgreen said:

Any ideas please.

Tom 

Unplug the ethernet cable and dont connect via wireless - those 'smart' TVs are khrapp and will download 'updates' and 'enhancements' without seeking permission - while reporting on your usage (for improvements LOL).  Their OS is rubbish and there are far better options available - use the TV only via HDMI.  LGs have excellent picture and reasonable sound too - connect computer via HDMI and play them that way.

Alternatively, and even better - get a good media player (like NVidia shield) and connect that to your TV.  It is a little complicated to do that directly - I have my movies on an External Hard Drive and I connect that to the Nvidia (via USB 3) and the Nvidia plays the movies and sound to the TV via HDMI.  The Nvidia can handle 4K movies both raw and upscale, and as long as the LG TV can display them (it should) the improvement in quality is obvious.

When I get a new movie (downloads etc or whatever) I do that on the SSD drive connected to the computer and then I unplug and plug the SSD into NVidia when I want to play them.  I used to have a USB switch with remote - been meaning to get a new one - reminder to self.

Also - get a surround sound system (Bluetooth connections not cables) and then output the sound from the TV via the optical sound out connector into the surround sound system  - most modern quality TVs have one. That gives you great sound and makes the movies more enjoyable. 

I have a few 4K Blu-ray videos for those 'special' movies I really like - and for those I use a Blu-ray Player to the TV via HDMI. Unfortunately a 'real' 4K movie even compressed is over 30GB so any hard drive is going to be quickly full. Most of my movies are 2-5GB and they all fit on a 4TB External Drive. 

When SSD External Hard Drives come down in price a bit more (they have a bit over last few years) then I will get a 4TB SSD. That will give me faster/larger output to the NVidia through the USB connect. Plus it is a few years old now (2017) so it will be time to get a new NVidia device soon.   

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Fab5BKK said:

I switch the TV on > Select the source : Ext HDD > Go to folders > Click on the film I want to watch

That's it !

So you use the TV's built in video player, is it user friendly though?

That's another advantage with CX File Explorer, you can use VLC or any video player you want.

Edited by Cameroni
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Also - get a surround sound system (Bluetooth connections not cables) and then output the sound from the TV via the optical sound out connector into the surround sound system  - most modern quality TVs have one. That gives you great sound and makes the movies more enjoyable. 

Yes, that's absolutely standard, use an AV receiver to connect to surround speakers. Ideally one with WIFI.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

So you use the TV's built in video player, is it user friendly though?

That's another advantage with CX File Explorer, you can use VLC or any video player you want.

Forgot to mention - I use VLC app on the NVidia and laptop when wanted - it works great (and it is free).

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

You're joking right?

Why the exaggerating?

Quick Start

This quick-start is the fastest way to set up and start using your very own Plex Media Server. Should you need more detailed instructions, the links provided should help!

1. Setting Up and Installing the Plex Media Server
    • Download and run the installer for Plex Media Server.

Tip!: It’s important to understand that Plex Media Server does not have its own graphical user interface. When you run the server on your computer, NAS, or other device, you won’t see a window open with a “server UI” or similar. Instead, you use our web app to manage your server.

2. Using Plex for the First Time
    • The very first time the server runs, it should launch a browser to sign you in (or create a new account) and start the Setup Wizard.
  3. Completing the Plex Media Server Setup
    • The short Setup Wizard will help you configure your server and account. It will also help you create and add media to your libraries. There is often some preparation of files needed, but you can set up a test library now and rebuild it at any time.
  4. Installing Plex Apps
    • Once the server is running, you can download and install apps for any of your devices.
  5. Exploring Plex
    • After your devices are connected, there is plenty of other functionality to explore!

11 minutes ago, AlwaysThere said:

Rather than arguing with me, you could have just explained how they would play the files on their TV.

Doesn't take hours with Plex and you don't need all of the features.

The “Free to Use” Parts: The Server and Apps

There are some details to get into, but the summary of “free” is simple:

• The video/music/photo media you own is yours. Of course, we don’t charge you in any way for that.
  • The Plex Media Server is free to use.
  • Our 'Movies & Shows' streaming service is free to all users and ad-supported.
  • Free TV streaming is available from our ad-supported Live TV on Plex service
  • Connect a compatible tuner and antenna to your server to let you watch over-the-air broadcasts available at your location live. (Recording of broadcasts requires a Plex Pass subscription.)
  • All of our non-mobile, public apps are free (with the exception of Plex Labs apps). These include Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, Apple TV, Chromecast, Plex HTPC, Roku, Smart TVs, Windows & macOS computers and game consoles (PlayStation and Xbox).

Even if it did take a while to set up(it doesn't), once it's done, it's done.

Now please explain the procedure with CX.

Well, first of all CX File Explorer is a free app. It works by locating your laptops on the network. So you just open the app, the only set up required is to choose your laptop, type in the username and password you urse, and that's it. After you did that once, you just open the CX File Explorer App, choose that network link and you're straight into your laptop's storage. 

CX File Explorer even has a built in video player but if you don't want to use it you can pair it with VLC or any other video player of your choice.

It's incredibly reliable and free. I was concerned at first because it uses WIFI not ethernet, but I have 2000 Mbps internet, so even with the Android box I get 500 Mbps, not an issue at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Cameroni said:

Well, first of all CX File Explorer is a free app. It works by locating your laptops on the network. So you just open the app, the only set up required is to choose your laptop, type in the username and password you urse, and that's it. After you did that once, you just open the CX File Explorer App, choose that network link and you're straight into your laptop's storage. 

CX File Explorer even has a built in video player but if you don't want to use it you can pair it with VLC or any other video player of your choice.

It's incredibly reliable and free. I was concerned at first because it uses WIFI not ethernet, but I have 2000 Mbps internet, so even with the Android box I get 500 Mbps, not an issue at all.

I still don't understand. How do they play the media stored on their laptop via the LG TV using CX? Step by step please.

I have minidlna running on my linux box that has all the videos. Most TVs will pick up the DLNA server as an input.

You can also export the videos with NFS and use VLC to watch them on your TV.

1 hour ago, Cameroni said:

I'm guessing from the lack of a step by step guide, that you have realised that your suggestion doesn't work. After all your unnecessary critique, Plex is the solution that best suits the criteria given. 

Alternatives; https://jellyfin.org & https://emby.media

1 hour ago, eddyod said:

I have minidlna running on my linux box that has all the videos. Most TVs will pick up the DLNA server as an input.

You can also export the videos with NFS and use VLC to watch them on your TV.

DLNA can work, though probably easier to use Plex/Jellyfin/EMBY.

With your other suggestion, you would have to Cast from another device, since you cannot install VLC to the TV. 

6 minutes ago, Digitalbanana said:

Just put a NAS drive on the router. Wifi all the movies around the home to any device.

That's more equipment again. No need.

Can use KODI together with filesharing or any of the software solutions I posted earlier.

4 hours ago, tomgreen said:

The New LG TV is in a different room ( Lounge ) but I managed to run a very long ethernet cable from my bedroom where my computers are , up into the loft and down into the lounge . 

But then you will have to run up to the bedroom to start, stop or pause anything you are watching. It'd be easier to move one of your computers!